USFSA / ISU Politikin' | Golden Skate

USFSA / ISU Politikin'

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
I have never followed the skating world's elections and political details very much. So this is probably yesterday's news.

http://www.ronpfenningforus.com/

Given the recent wrist slap from the ISU, the failure of the World Skating Federation, etc. I doubt he has much of a chance here. But I'm wondering what you all think who follow this stuff more than I do.

DG

Spirit

On the Ice
Oh, wow! And it's not a hoax; the site is registered to Ron, and it started about three weeks ago.

I don't know what his chances are, but what a slap to the ISU if he did it!

Go, Ron! :rock:

I'm afraid that ship has sailed. The only thing that can help Pfenning is if there is a big whopping scandal of some sort in Turino, big enough to totally disgrace the ISU (not some piddly little confusion like Salt Lake City).

I think what was most telling about the state of the internal affairs of US Figure Skating was the abrupt resignation of their president, Chuck Foster, in February. The impresion I got at the time was that he was fed up with the all the petty bickering and infighting (although Foster allowed himself to become involed in the silly charges against Pfenning and the WSF).

The problem is that while the crew is fighting among itself, the ship is sinking. The ISUs loss of revenue from television is due to be repeated at the national level in 2007. Interest in the sport is waning by every measure. The recent reorganization of the USFS hierarchy is supposed to put more decision-making power in the hands of the marketing and fiscal policy people, but I am not optimistic.

Mathman

I didn't know it was an elective post. Who votes. I am a member of the USFSA but at the lowest rung of the ladder.

Joe

treeskater

Rinkside
Mathman you summed it up nicely. I personally would like to see Ron get the position - someone has to start somewhere to begin to clean our own house first before worrying about the ISU. Power corrupts at all levels including the local club level. The USFS puts money ahead of everything including the skaters....they are viewed as mealtickets.

The last several years have been so discouraging. I am so sick of the ISU and the ole boys network and no recourse to hold them accountable. I often wonder if Speedy dropped dead tomorrow, would his pals be strong enough to pick up his ball?

Saddest of all is the skaters. How must they feel to win or miss out on a medal when the whole system is so suspect? Winning a medal thanks to backroom deals is no medal in my book.