Vote for the Shibs for the Sullivan Award | Golden Skate

Vote for the Shibs for the Sullivan Award

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
The Shibutanis are up for the prestigious AAU James E. Sullivan Award. They are currently in the semi-final rounds and AAU is accepting votes. They are the only figure skaters represented on this list.

Here is a link to their full bio with a link where you can vote for them:

https://aausullivan.secure-platform.com/a/gallery/rounds/4/details/306

Here is a blub:

"Following their 2018 Figure Skating Championships gold medal [sic], the Shibutanis earned two bronze medals at the Olympic Winter Games in PyeongChang. They became the first ice dancers of Asian descent to medal at the Winter Olympics, first American sibling ice dance team to win an Olympic medal and the second sibling ice dance team to win an Olympic medal."

The full bio has a much longer list of their accomplishments and charity/leadership endeavors.

The AAU was founded in 1888 to establish standards and uniformity in amateur sports. During its early years, the AAU served as a leader in international sport representing the U.S. in the international sports federations. The AAU worked closely with the Olympic movement to prepare athletes for the Olympic games. After the Amateur Sports Act of 1978, the AAU has focused its efforts into providing sports programs for all participants of all ages beginning at the grass roots level. The philosophy of "Sports for All, Forever," is shared by over 670,000 participants and over 100,000 volunteers.

Known as the "Oscar" of sports awards and older than The Heisman, the AAU Sullivan Award honors the outstanding amateur athlete in the United States. It has been presented annually by the AAU since 1930 as a salute to founder and past president of the Amateur Athletic Union, and pioneer in amateur sports, James E. Sullivan. Based on the qualities of leadership, character, sportsmanship, and the ideals of amateurism, the AAU Sullivan Award goes far beyond athletic accomplishments and honors those who have shown strong moral character.

Barb

Record Breaker
The Shibutanis are up for the prestigious AAU James E. Sullivan Award. They are currently in the semi-final rounds and AAU is accepting votes. They are the only figure skaters represented on this list.

Here is a blub:

"Following their 2018 Figure Skating Championships gold medal, the Shibutanis earned two bronze medals at the Olympic Winter Games in PyeongChang. They became the first ice dancers of Asian descent to medal at the Winter Olympics, first American sibling ice dance team to win an Olympic medal and the second sibling ice dance team to win an Olympic medal."

The full bio has a much longer list of their accomplishments and charity/leadership endeavors.

The AAU was founded in 1888 to establish standards and uniformity in amateur sports. During its early years, the AAU served as a leader in international sport representing the U.S. in the international sports federations. The AAU worked closely with the Olympic movement to prepare athletes for the Olympic games. After the Amateur Sports Act of 1978, the AAU has focused its efforts into providing sports programs for all participants of all ages beginning at the grass roots level. The philosophy of "Sports for All, Forever," is shared by over 670,000 participants and over 100,000 volunteers.

Known as the "Oscar" of sports awards and older than The Heisman, the AAU Sullivan Award honors the outstanding amateur athlete in the United States. It has been presented annually by the AAU since 1930 as a salute to founder and past president of the Amateur Athletic Union, and pioneer in amateur sports, James E. Sullivan. Based on the qualities of leadership, character, sportsmanship, and the ideals of amateurism, the AAU Sullivan Award goes far beyond athletic accomplishments and honors those who have shown strong moral character.

This is great!!. Do you know the other athletes?. I saw the list and I dont know them, but I am not so familiar with american athletes. I think Maia and Alex really can win this.

I didn't know that people could vote on this award. I wonder how the nominees are chosen. (For instance, where is Chloe Kim?) I love me some Shibs, but I had to pause when I came to curler John Shuster. How about that hammer in the eighth end!

This is a tough competition. Our guys not only have to go up against all winter athletes, but all summer athletes and college team athletes, too. Four figure skaters have won in the past, Dick Button, Michelle Kwan, Sarah Hughes and Evan Lysacek. (Also speedskaters Eric Heiden, Bonnie Blair and Dan Janson.)

Barb

Record Breaker
I didn't know that people could vote on this award. I wonder how the nominees are chosen. (For instance, where is Chloe Kim?) I love me some Shibs, but I had to pause when I came to curler John Shuster. How about that hammer in the eighth end!

This is a tough competition. Our guys not only have to go up against all winter athletes, but all summer athletes and college team athletes, too. Four figure skaters have won in the past, Dick Button, Michelle Kwan, Sarah Hughes and Evan Lysacek. (Also speedskaters Eric Heiden, Bonnie Blair and Dan Janson.)

No idea, someone in FSU is saying this is a popularity contest but I guess they chose based in something else than popularity (VTG said: The full bio has a much longer list of their accomplishments and charity/leadership endeavors), on the contrary, they would have Chloe Kim, Adam Rippon or that red hair guy who win everything.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I'm going to copy and paste their service to the community section because I find that as impressive as their athletic achievements:

"SERVICE TO COMMUNITY:
For nearly a decade, the siblings have equally dedicated themselves to charitable causes off the ice, continuing their involvement and contributions to several organizations throughout each competitive season.

--Since 2012, Maia and Alex have served as Athlete Ambassadors for Figure Skating in Harlem, the only organization for girls of color that combines the power of education with access to the artistic discipline of figure skating.

--Since 2013, they’ve served as Athlete Ambassadors for Right to Play, an organization dedicated to using sport and play to educate and empower children and youth to overcome poverty, conflict and disease.

--Maia and Alex have shared their talents and resources to Kristi Yamaguchi’s Always Dream Foundation for childhood literacy.

--They participate in The Jimmy Fund, which supports the fight against cancer at Boston's Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, continuing to contribute to the fund even on occasions when they can’t attend as performers in An Evening with Champions – The Jimmy Fund’s annual fundraiser.

--They are members of the Athletes’ Advisory Commission for the LA2028 Summer Olympics bid organization.

--They serve in the United States Olympic Committee’s Sports Envoy Program, and have twice been guests of the Secretary State and the Vice President at US State Department functions honoring the Prime Minister of Japan. As Sports Envoys, the siblings conducted skating clinics for young Korean skaters during the lead up to the 2018 Olympic Winter Games, and took part in a U.S. Embassy discussion with 60 Korean youth on topics such as sportsmanship and youth empowerment.

--Their commitment to goodwill doesn’t stop with athletic roles. After the Boston Marathon bombing in 2013, Maia and Alex contributed to The ONE Fund, and raised $10,000 for Charity Water, a non-profit organization bringing clean, safe drinking water to people in developing countries, in 2017.

--They appeared as Familiar Faces in the NOH8 campaign to promote marriage, gender and human equality, and, throughout their busy training and appearance schedule, regularly pay visits to Boston Children's Hospital, the Dana-Farber Cancer Center, and Children's Hospital Los Angeles.

--In the lead-up to the 2018 Olympic Winter Games, Maia and Alex served as mentors in in the United States Olympic Committee’s “Thank you, PyeongChang” initiative – a goodwill campaign aimed to contribute to the positive legacy of the PyeongChang Games, regularly speaking to children at Jinbu Middle School in PyeongChang to provide students virtual lessons about Olympic values, health and nutrition, and what it takes to become Olympians."

Further, to show further leadership qualities, Maia just did a panel discussion with two-time Olympic gold medalist Donna de Varona on gender equality in sport and media portrayals of female athletes as part of the series "Racing to Gender Equality" hosted by the United Nations:

https://www.facebook.com/unwomen/videos/10155275910091905/

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Here is a blub:

"Following their 2018 Figure Skating Championships gold medal [sic], the Shibutanis earned two bronze medals at the Olympic Winter Games in PyeongChang. They became the first ice dancers of Asian descent to medal at the Winter Olympics, first American sibling ice dance team to win an Olympic medal and the second sibling ice dance team to win an Olympic medal."

I voted but there is a huge error in their accomplishments as listed on that page. They are the 2018 US Silver Medalists, not gold, that went to H/D. Oops on the part of whoever wrote of the copy for that page. :laugh:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
This is great for the Shib sibs and skating; I really like this team as people. They seem so nice!

My only concern is that assuming this award looks at Body of Work while they may be tops in serving and giving their athletic accomplishments do not seem to match a lot of past winners who have world and olympic titles and a recent national title. Evan and Sarah had oly gold and Kwan is an icon with may world titles. But who knows. We can hope. No matter what these two are first rate.

Barb

Record Breaker
This is great for the Shib sibs and skating; I really like this team as people. They seem so nice!

My only concern is that assuming this award looks at Body of Work while they may be tops in serving and giving their athletic accomplishments do not seem to match a lot of past winners who have world and olympic titles and a recent national title. Evan and Sarah had oly gold and Kwan is an icon with may world titles. But who knows. We can hope. No matter what these two are first rate.

And Sarah match their other achievements? she was only 16 or 17 yo when she got the award, it is clear: the AAU Sullivan Award goes far beyond athletic accomplishments, I doubt very much that in the years that Evan and Sarah won there were no athletes much more decorated than the two of them, what was special about Sara over the other gold medalists that year?. I have read some other nominees, and there are people who don´t have gold medals. Seeing in all that Shibs have been involved in addition to their sport, I am not surprised that whoever handles the prizes is impressed and has nominated them. Their curriculum or whatever you want to call it is the longest among all nominated athletes. But whatever, I think the best prize about all they do, is that this makes them grow as people.

Time to vote again! You can vote once every 24 hours. (Probably more if you are computer savvy ;) )

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Also, if you have different devices they can't know it's one person behind them ;)