Which One??? | Golden Skate

Which One???

CanadianSkater

Rinkside
In general....which is harder a double axel or a triple jump i.e. triple toe? Personally.....double axels. I've heard many skaters say that a double axel is harder to land than any triple jump but then at a recent competition (Eastern and Western Canadian Challenge) most junior level skaters could land a double axel but not a triple jump.

Last edited:

ceg15

On the Ice
I've always thought that a triple axel would definitely be harder because you need to have 1 and 1/2 more rotations than the double axel. I've never attempted triple axels--haha I'm not even working on double axels yet, but I've attempted a few.

Perry

Rinkside
I got my triple sal long before my double axel, and I still won't even attempt double axels in the few months I've been back from an injury (even though I'm landing triple sals again). I'm the only one at my rink that I know like this, though -- eveyone else got their double axel a year or two before their first triple.

I think it's all a matter of personal preference and strengths. When I was doing doubles, I had all my other doubles and double-doubles (with loops) before I could do a double toe. My single axel isn't great, but my double sal is, so it makes sense that that would translate.

screech

Final Flight
I was landing consistent triple loops, semi-consistent salchows and toes, occasional flips and lutzes, but still was having insanely difficult times with my double axel. That was my devil jump. Which was kinda surprising, cause I had my single axel consistent after 2 months of training, and I actually had my double axel consistent before I started doing it seriously, then when I really started training it, I lost it and could never get it back to that level

sk8rgrl3

Rinkside
When I first started learning my double axle, my coaches had me working on the triple salchow and toe at the same time. I actually landed my triple toe before my double axle. Axles, though, were never my strongest jump. I think, too, that it helps if you work on your triple salchow and toe at the same time as your double axle just to break up the monotony of the axle. So many skaters become so frustrated over the double axle. I was fortunate. It didn't take me very long to get my double axle. There are kids at our rink that have been working on it for 2 years or more.