Will the Zhangs ever win a World title? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Will the Zhangs ever win a World title?

mousepotato

On the Ice
They definitely have a shot of winning a World title from 2012-2014. The Germans probably wont stay this consistent forever given their history, of course I could be wrong on that. Kavaguti & Smirnov are not that young, havent won a major title yet, and she is prone to injuries so far. Pang & Tong seem to be struggling and arent that young either, which could open the door for a revived Zhang & Zhang to return to Chinese #1 at some point. Sui & Han are upredictable at this point, as Volosozhar & Morozov and the younger Russians.

K/S won Europeans last year (that is major) and two world bronze medals; you do realize they have only been together for 4 years right? That is very good and a better track record than most. Competitive highlights

Aside from her dislocated shoulder what other problems has she had? I know he had a freak ankle injury this summer so they just got back on the ice in September but other than her shoulder, they are just as healthy as everyone else. And her shoulder had been fixed.

K/S are younger than S/S and P/T and as S/Z have proved, age really isn't anything when it comes to competing in sports. I also think K/S have the best free skate this season.

Sui & Han are unpredictable at this point only because of her height; he is too short to allow her to grow one more inch.

You said Volosozhar & Morozov but I think you meant Volosozhar and Trankov, they need to prove they are better as a pair than their former partners before anyone should to count them in, they still have a lot to prove. Honestly I haven't seen him look better with Tanya than he did with Maria, so maybe he was the weak one not her. I also think people thought Stas was so bad it made her look better than she really is. Like I said only time will tell with those two. I don't like their programs, costumes or music, so maybe they will win me over next year.

Zhang only fractured his finger so lifts, throws and twists are out for now, but they can still do everything else. They could come back strong, who knows.

I don't really care for S/S programs this year but they are doing a great job, however anything can happen. This maybe their year to win everything but they can never let their guard down.

Last edited:
C

chillyfranz

Not if they keep skating the way like that. Lack of motivation, spur maybe? Z/Z used to be very promising with their big throw and jump but the artistic side is not there., like they cannot invest in a idea of their program or even basic essentials. Not that they have do mimick ballet gesture but they don't even have these basic essentials, basic skating and extended lines.The joy is not there (both in the skating and the motivation to improve, is missing)

lan8

Match Penalty
2006 was probably their best chance, having been in first after the SP and missing the world title by only 2.79 points (although they were extremely lucky to get the world silver since they were only 0.20 ahead of 2006 world bronze medalists Petrova & Tikhonov). Zhang & Zhang missed the 2008 world title by 5.05 points, despite being in first after the SP again. After that, the judges started dumping them, and the distance between them & Savchenko/Szolkowy grew (Z/Z missed the world title by 16.96 points in 2009 despite winning a 3rd world silver). I think they probably will never medal again except in a depleted field.

Last edited: