Would this save figure skating? | Golden Skate

Would this save figure skating?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just found this article from last year (very long, but interesting). What do you think?

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Arbitrary

Medalist
To save the FS or to save the USA FS?
With Russia no more a threat, likely forever, I see no reason to "save" the USA FS.
It will be on raise all by itself pretty soon.

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
With Russia no more a threat, likely forever, I see no reason to "save" the USA FS.
Did you merely read the article?
It is about rising costs and declining image of figure skating that screws the whole game in the US.

Your comment sounds ultimately off topic to me.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It was a poorly-written article then, it is a poorly-written article now.

noskates

Record Breaker
This has been discussed so many times. I think the main issues are poor television exposure (so the average viewer never gets to see the sport except maybe during the Olympics} and the decline of the traveling ice shows. And that decline is in part to the horrendous tickets prices. I don't know the money side of arranging tours, etc. but a family of 4 might have to spend as much as $400 for decent seats in the arena. I would guess not many families want to spend that kind of money unless they're die hard skating fans.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I agree. I read the title and thought "Save?" We're in one of the best times in years. We have the OMG in Men's the World Champions in Pairs. And our Juniors are currently "Busting A Move" at Junior Worlds.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not sure how it is in other parts of the country, but in my area (midwest) college sports are REALLY popular. So I think a lot of attention in this area goes to college sports, to the exclusion of other sports...The ticket prices are usually very high here for skating, although I see Stars on Ice has some seats that are reasonably priced. I applaud what the Chicago White Sox did when they offered a Family Pack for $70. That included 4 admissions, and each person received coupons for a hot dog, chips, and a drink. That made for some great family outings, and I have friends who took their grandkids multiple times.

Some creative marketing ideas are definitely needed.

macy

Record Breaker
I'm not sure how it is in other parts of the country, but in my area (midwest) college sports are REALLY popular. So I think a lot of attention in this area goes to college sports, to the exclusion of other sports...The ticket prices are usually very high here for skating, although I see Stars on Ice has some seats that are reasonably priced. I applaud what the Chicago White Sox did when they offered a Family Pack for $70. That included 4 admissions, and each person received coupons for a hot dog, chips, and a drink. That made for some great family outings, and I have friends who took their grandkids multiple times.

with how college gymnastics has boomed over the last 5 years or so, why couldn't the same happen with figure skating? gymnastics was never a mainstream sport and has the same stigma surrounding it as skating.

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
with how college gymnastics has boomed over the last 5 years or so, why couldn't the same happen with figure skating? gymnastics was never a mainstream sport and has the same stigma surrounding it as skating.

That would be great. I'd encourage them to start a Family Pack. 4 lower admissions along with coupons for a "fun size" popcorn (like some of our movie theaters do on Tuesdays), along with a small drink. Cheaper than giving away hot dog, drink, and chips, but still a good, reasonable deal for a family. Better to fill the seats with special value packages than to have them empty. And in the process, hopefully skating would gain some new fans. Maybe I'd better email Brent Diedrich!

🍿

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
That would be great. I'd encourage them to start a Family Pack. 4 lower admissions along with coupons for a "fun size" popcorn (like some of our movie theaters do on Tuesdays), along with a small drink. Cheaper than giving away hot dog, drink, and chips, but still a good, reasonable deal for a family. Better to fill the seats with special value packages than to have them empty. And in the process, hopefully skating would gain some new fans. Maybe I'd better email Brent Diedrich!

🍿
I am gonna take a WAG and say that Brent will tell you that with baseball, the team/statium control the event and can offer deals. With skating, the USFS puts events out for bid and has about no say in what the arena policies are.....I dont know this but I suspect that the attendance doesnt effect the monies that USFS gets. How many hotel rooms and cash and seats they get are all probably decided with the bid.

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, we know our buddy Brent can work miracles (!?), so it probably wouldn't hurt to contact him. I definitely want to remind him that they need to have boxes where people can put gifts for the skaters. He agreed that was a good idea that could be considered. He said it could probably only happen though if Covid concerns weren't still haunting us. This poor guy, what else did we tell him -- oh that's right, skating etiquette! Don't come in and sit down while skaters are in the middle of their programs. Rusty did announce it, but probably the people who needed to hear it were still in the parking lot! :laugh:

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Because all but a few collegiate figure skaters can barely land a couple doubles.

Penny

On the Ice

Look at how collegiate women's gymnastics has taken off, with growing TV audiences and spectator attendance. And, most exciting, how it allows elites and Olympians to continue with their sport and enjoy a true team experience. I guess the expense of figure skating teams would be too much for colleges, but it's just a dream.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Why is Russia unlikely to be a threat forever. It could be a while but one would think they have a better chance than the Americans wo recooperated after that crash in the 60's (mind you that was like 60 years ago almost and it probably helped they cancelled worlds). Still I gree russia will have it hard but they could still be in the race but it will take a while for them to earn three spots and multiple medals. There will be presure on their one skater to medal. They won't hav the uxury of another skater on the team.

Penny

On the Ice
Because all but a few collegiate figure skaters can barely land a couple doubles.
And college gymnasts were nowhere near the elites in the past, but that has changed. All of those excellent teenage gymnasts who don't make the world or Olympics team are being recruited by college teams. Would Alysa give up skating if she could get a scholarship and enjoy skating again? Just thinking...