Wrong elements in program(s)- has your coach ever done this? | Golden Skate

Wrong elements in program(s)- has your coach ever done this?

Sunshine247

On the Ice
So my daughter recently competed two new programs and got something marked invalid for both of them. For her short she had a wrong spin, and for her freeskate she had an invalid jump (in a combo) I believe? Before I get too upset I want to do a reality check to see if this is something that just happens. I don’t know of any of her other skaters this has happened to.

I don’t want to be too sensitive but based on some past experiences this coach doesn’t seem to be giving my skater her best. My daughter isn’t her best skater but she’s reasonably talented for an “advanced recreational skater” 🤷‍♀️ I mean we’re not going to the Olympics but not many are right? We get that my skater won’t be her top priority but seriously? Two wrong elements? I’m really going to be checking from now on but this Isn’t the only thing that has raised some red flags.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
So my daughter recently competed two new programs and got something marked invalid for both of them. For her short she had a wrong spin, and for her freeskate she had an invalid jump (in a combo) I believe? Before I get too upset I want to do a reality check to see if this is something that just happens. I don’t know of any of her other skaters this has happened to.

I don’t want to be too sensitive but based on some past experiences this coach doesn’t seem to be giving my skater her best. My daughter isn’t her best skater but she’s reasonably talented for an “advanced recreational skater” 🤷‍♀️ I mean we’re not going to the Olympics but not many are right? We get that my skater won’t be her top priority but seriously? Two wrong elements? I’m really going to be checking from now on but this Isn’t the only thing that has raised some red flags.
hi. I'm going to ask this to understand better and hopefully be able to help you. The invalid jump (combo), was the jumps she performed in the program the ones that were written down on the element sheet for the judges and the ones she's been practicing while running this program?

Sunshine247

On the Ice
hi. I'm going to ask this to understand better and hopefully be able to help you. The invalid jump (combo), was the jumps she performed in the program the ones that were written down on the element sheet for the judges and the ones she's been practicing while running this program?

I believe it will be the jump specified in the elements beginning in July? So not one listed on the element sheet for the competition she just participated in. At least not the ones they held the skaters accountable for.

I’m not sure how the coach came to the idea to include it. The coach “recognized the error” after the event, but didn’t explain well. It was a change from the original program choreographed, but it was one she practiced for the competition. The coach moved jumps around and even though my daughter questioned it, assured her the jump combo was allowed. The coach has taken skaters to nationals and should be well familiar with the element sheets. even spent time during a lesson to “look it up” 🤨

For her short the coach changed choreography within a few weeks of the competition to include a spin in the same way. It was from a level up, or for July. Still not a lot of explanation but I didn’t get much time to talk with the coach. I was part of the LOC and very distracted.

I need to check the element sheets myself for the future. I had some idea of what the programs should include but I trusted that the coach would have my skaters best interest in mind but I’m losing faith.

Based on this and a few minor red flags accumulating. I’m trying not to be overly sensitive if this is a fairly common error but I have never heard of this from any of this Coach’s other skaters. The coach has damaged both Mine and my skaters trust. It’s building insecurity in my daughter as well. That is not ok. But I feel like I need more perspective before I begin the conversation with the coach. I haven’t discussed much with my skater yet either so if I can use some reassurance let me know what that is so I can build up my skater a bit and help her understand too.

thanks in advance!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I believe it will be the jump specified in the elements beginning in July? So not one listed on the element sheet for the competition she just participated in. At least not the ones they held the skaters accountable for.

I’m not sure how the coach came to the idea to include it. The coach “recognized the error” after the event, but didn’t explain well. It was a change from the original program choreographed, but it was one she practiced for the competition. The coach moved jumps around and even though my daughter questioned it, assured her the jump combo was allowed. The coach has taken skaters to nationals and should be well familiar with the element sheets. even spent time during a lesson to “look it up” 🤨

For her short the coach changed choreography within a few weeks of the competition to include a spin in the same way. It was from a level up, or for July. Still not a lot of explanation but I didn’t get much time to talk with the coach. I was part of the LOC and very distracted.

I need to check the element sheets myself for the future. I had some idea of what the programs should include but I trusted that the coach would have my skaters best interest in mind but I’m losing faith.

Based on this and a few minor red flags accumulating. I’m trying not to be overly sensitive if this is a fairly common error but I have never heard of this from any of this Coach’s other skaters. The coach has damaged both Mine and my skaters trust. It’s building insecurity in my daughter as well. That is not ok. But I feel like I need more perspective before I begin the conversation with the coach. I haven’t discussed much with my skater yet either so if I can use some reassurance let me know what that is so I can build up my skater a bit and help her understand too.

thanks in advance!
This is super complicated and so I'm not going to say much tonight and write more later when I have the time.
I am going to tell you, that if the trust is broken, and there are other red flags, your best interest for your daughter is a new coach of the same level (or better ;) ).

I understand where you are coming from and you're definitely not overreacting. I hope this much can help you for now, until I can come back sometime tomorrow and write more.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight

thanks in advance!
Can you send a picture of PDF, and submitted elements please?

If you don't want it traceable just list the elements performed, and which ones were invalidated.

gkelly

Record Breaker
I have seen it happen.

Especially this time of year.

More likely if 1) the coach hasn't had many skaters who compete in that particular event or 2) the rules have recently changed and not all coaches are up to date on the latest changes, or the rules will be changing soon (July 1) and the competition announcement is not explicit about whether they will be using the rules for the old season or for the upcoming season or will permit both.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Saw it happen just two weeks ago where the skater himself was old enough to know better, too. Common at the change of season, your daughter won't be the only one.

IMO, the issue is not that this has happened once. The real issue will be what happens next - how the coach reacts to it, if it is fixed or if the coach is dismissive of the issue.

Sunshine247

On the Ice
Thank you everyone for your replies. sorry to not write more but it turns out I have had Covid…..and I fainted an caught myself with my face so, broken nose, a huge gash on my nose, and concussion. Yay me.

auser

Record Breaker
Thank you everyone for your replies. sorry to not write more but it turns out I have had Covid…..and I fainted an caught myself with my face so, broken nose, a huge gash on my nose, and concussion. Yay me.
Hope you feel better soon.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I hope you get well soon and feel better.

iceskating21

On the Ice
Is she/he a coach that bring skaters to compete a lot? Her/his response is important. Did she/he feel sorry or explain to you? Or did she/he shrug it off? That may show her/his attitude more.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh, goodness! Do be careful, especially with the concussion. I hope your poor nose gets better quickly!

Sunshine247

On the Ice
I’m back! Doing fine. Or at least not much crazier than usual. Had a lot to catch up on though. Thank you for all the good wishes.

So in terms of an update, yes it was partly due to confusing rule changes and possibly because her coach wanted a program easy to upgrade to the next level. Her coach typically upgrades the short program for a skater first, to try out the next level before moving up. Hope that makes sense. She had a plan but it didn’t work out.

The coach did take responsibility but maybe not in a way that helped my skater feel better about it. I don’t think she realized how much it would upset my daughter. Feelings change the more time and effort you put in. And my skater is getting more sensitive. I was in the beginning stages of Covid. 🤪 And, I get the idea that coaches forget how new these things are to us parents and skaters after a while. We are communicating better but still have a few things to work through. I’m going to have to bite the bullet and really dig into my concerns. As everyone says, it’s more about the response when we bring them up. So far so good and I’m trying to maintain perspective.

We’ll have a meeting soon for goals, etc so that will be a good opportunity to communicate everything else. It’s the right thing to do to talk through things with our coach. It’s not easy, probably never gets easier. But they aren’t mind readers any more than we are!