2018 Worlds Mens Short Program | Page 59 | Golden Skate

2018 Worlds Mens Short Program

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
What are you talking about? Dima is very self critical, he lies in bed analyzing his performances and what to do better. Come on, Alina and Zhenia cannot be compared to a male figure skater in this field. Dima has accomplished far more at 18 than any other Russian man in the last decade had accomplished at his age.

I was talking that he should pop to 2T instead to a 3T and he will be in top 10. I was commenting on that. Nothing else :shrug: If it is a lack of thinking or stage fright i dont know, but you need to think about your skating while skating your programme at the competition day (and thats what Alina and Zhenya do which i say as an example). Only that is my point tho

SpiffySpiders

On the Ice
Well these are some funky standings... Kolyada 2nd, Zhou 3rd Messing 6th... Feel bad for Dima, they dumped him :( And from the looks of it Moris bombed again :sad21:

Deniss 9th though! Highest he has even been in Worlds SP. :)

Well, those three did skate well enough to be final flight without question. Should they all necessarily be in those exact positions? Maybe, maybe not but it isn't completely outrageous or anything of that sort. If you didn't see them they're worth looking for video of.

I also felt bad for Dima though. With so many skaters so close in score his mistake dropped him down the field. At the same time, the marks being close means he has a chance to move back up. And yes, Deniss getting properly rewarded for his unique skills was great to see!

disco_dannio

Rinkside
Ugh to the judging and PCS this final group got. I always find it hard to stomach post Olympics worlds and the judging. Shoma got the highest PE mark of the whole competition, chew on that for a while.

I know, Ridiculous. I would love to see real deviation between marks, rather than corridor scoring. Ie, if a skater has great skating skills, sure give him in the 9's. But if has errors on all 3 passes, is clearly sloppy, then give him a 7 :) It's that the POINT for have different PCS? It's not "Well, he's a top 5 skater, so he can't drop below 8/9". So frustrating...

andromache

Record Breaker
I really think that Boyang's PCS are fine...a little lower than Kolyada and Chen, but that makes sense. There's not a huge PCS gap there at all. I was surprised his TES weren't higher, but I'm watching while working so I figure I missed something.

Sackie

Medalist
So glad that Keegan made the final flight but if things had been marked on what was skated today and not on who was skating for which country and on past reps, he should have been in 3rd.

Szeptuszka

On the Ice
Y'all, we need to start praying for Japan's spots. I know this isn't the Deepest Field Ever for Japanese men, but I'm getting traumatic flashbacks to 2015 worlds.

Here's my prayer candle: [*]

It would be a shame to lose a spot now; Kazuki is such a firecracker and he already has a lot of fans on Twitter. Keiji is improving, too. It would be sad to have only 2 spots when there's going to be at least 4 good skaters fighting for the spot next season (hopefully 5, if Sota fully recovers).

If Shoma was healthy, I wouldn't worry, but the fact that he didn't event attempt 3Lz or 3F here makes me rather worried :( I keep my fingers crossed and pray for the best, though!

Interspectator

Record Breaker
This was actually a well skated event. More triumphs than bombings. And I enjoyed the skaters, each one of them is a fighter.
BUT when the judging doesn't match the skate, it leaves a bad impression afterwards.
Kudos to:
Boyang
Vincent
Kolyada
Keegan
Romain
Misha
Deniss
and
Donovan

For giving memorable performances from the heart.

MVP award for Shoma holding the fort for Japan. (I may think the scores are inflated, but that's another matter)

Last edited:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
For anyone who is interested Paul Fentz was commenting on the stream and complimenting everyone in the last group with very, very kind words. While the commentator let loose his usual criticism he was so positive for everyone!

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
Boyang needed to kill those jumps stone cold dead, and he didn't. So, the score seems fair. I thought the other elements were all strong, especially the StSq! And the emotional intensity of it all was unrivaled in my opinion due to his incredible focus, commitment, and internalization of the music and concept.

Nathan, Vincent, and Shoma seemed a bit overscored in comparison. Kolyada was fabulous, though. I would like to have seen him in first place.

s_parks

Record Breaker
I hate to be that the-end-is-near person, but I do wonder how consistently healthy these guys can stay with all the 4lz and 4f attempts...

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
For anyone who is interested Paul Fentz was commenting on the stream and complimenting everyone in the last group with very, very kind words. While the commentator let lose his usual criticism he was so positive for everyone!

Paul Fentz is awesome. His 3A is was textbook today. HUGE. So good to know he is as wonderful of a person as he is a skater.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
For anyone who is interested Paul Fentz was commenting on the stream and complimenting everyone in the last group with very, very kind words. While the commentator let lose his usual criticism he was so positive for everyone!

Paul was great today and he seems to be such a nice guy!

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker
Well, those three did skate well enough to be final flight without question. Should they all necessarily be in those exact positions? Maybe, maybe not but it isn't completely outrageous or anything of that sort. If you didn't see them they're worth looking for video of.

I also felt bad for Dima though. With so many skaters so close in score his mistake dropped him down the field. At the same time, the marks being close means he has a chance to move back up. And yes, Deniss getting properly rewarded for his unique skills was great to see!

No, thinking about it I agree with the standings as they are (I would have Deniss over Ge but he's retiring so I'll let it slide) just maybe not with the relative scores. I did miss Messing who seems to have done very well. Have to see the protocols.

Danny T

Medalist
Boyang's 4T doesn't look under to me though ... very very close to the board, but the landing looked rotated? His PCS is fine, though the judges were wilding so much the last group is a mess. I guess without Yuzuru and Javi as standards judges felt like they can give anyhow they like ._.

Anyway, rooting for both Jin or Uno to pull a Hanyu in FS!

QueenOfTheRoad

Final Flight
Country
Germany

Frankly, i find the German commentator VERY annoying. I cannot enjoy at all watching FS on German TV because of him. The question he put yesterday to Robin were uncalled and he sniffs at everybody who is not his fav. Very biased and uncool.