2018 Worlds Mens Short Program | Page 69 | Golden Skate

2018 Worlds Mens Short Program

yude

Record Breaker
As for your information, Japanese commentators (including Takeshi Honda) pointed out the possibility of UR on Vincent's combo, and they sounded a little surprised (to me) when they found out that the jump was not called.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
As for your information, Japanese commentators (including Takeshi Honda) pointed out the possibility of UR on Vincent's combo, and they sounded a little surprised (to me) when they found out that the jump was not called.

I thought the 3T was more questionable than the 4Lz. The 4Lz looked 1/4 UR to me, which is allowed.

dalenofff

Rinkside

And Kurt Browning thought Vincent 4 Flip at national was fully rotated and judge end up calling that it was UR... so what is your point? commentators are commentators, they don't get to see the slow motion replay..... in the end only the judge call matter.

sweetice

Praise the Ice God
Final Flight
Any news about Shoma's right foot ? I was hoping to a fight between him and Nathan, but now...

I wasn't expecting to see Kolyada like that, but now, with Shoma's problem, Vincent have more chance to medal, even if its free is really void of transitions.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
This was quite underwhelming to me, none of the performances were inspiring. Nathan's jumps lack quality and that 4Flip did indeed look underrotated, plus a major lack of preceding footwork. Vincent is even more inexplicably getting away without a call, that 4Lz was short. His 4F was slightly better this time though, only 1/4 short instead of more, LOL (but also questionable lack of required entry footwork and not punished at all). Then we have Shoma suddenly going for a 3Sal+3Toe combo and messing it up even? What is going on there.

Meanwhile, Boyang shouldn't have been called for his 4T, it's so obvious how the tech panel frequently deducts just because they see some kind of other visible problem with the landing of a jump, rather than closely scrutinizing the rotation itself. Unfortunately his program is disjointed though and with little depth being expressed. Kolyada wins on jump technique and has good skating skills and presentation ability, but his program is quite nonsensical. Movement frivolously applied on top of a bad music cut.

bobbob

Medalist
Boyang underscored! He should be tied with Nathan around. Other than that Vincent did better than expected. He shouldn't be above Boyang though. Vincent has a shot at a medal if he goes lights out in the free, especially since Shoma doesn't look very good right now.

Logirl

On the Ice
Shoma has a foot injury. My goodness people it is no way a health Shoma goes for that. But he says Japan spots are on the line and he is dragging them so he plans to do his regular routine up until the end.

aliceeeee

Spectator
actually Yan Han wants to retire already, and China this year does not have a third man other than Boyang or Han that met the MTS to go to the worlds so.... we only have Boyang here

eaglehelang

Final Flight
This was quite underwhelming to me, none of the performances were inspiring. Nathan's jumps lack quality and that 4Flip did indeed look underrotated, plus a major lack of preceding footwork. Vincent is even more inexplicably getting away without a call, that 4Lz was short. His 4F was slightly better this time though, only 1/4 short instead of more, LOL (but also questionable lack of required entry footwork and not punished at all). Then we have Shoma suddenly going for a 3Sal+3Toe combo and messing it up even? What is going on there.

Shoma-> right foot injury hence the easier layout. Shoma is not happy he messed up "the easiest jump" .You missed the drama when 2 days ago he just came out to practice 2 min then went back in. Then went to hospital for get his foot xrayed.
In post SP interviews, Shoma said he intends to keep his original LP layout

yude

Record Breaker
And Kurt Browning thought Vincent 4 Flip at national was fully rotated and judge end up calling that it was UR... so what is your point? commentators are commentators, they don't get to see the slow motion replay..... in the end only the judge call matter.

Of course, as I said, it is just a information ;)

Having watched Honda's commentary for 8 years or so, he had been pretty accurate on the tech calls without seeing the replay being fair to the all skaters (also he does the math so quick in his mind, which is sometimes :shocked:). But yes, he is just a very professional commentator and not a judge.

LucyH

On the Ice
Was not a fan of the inconsistent UR calls - if you're going to call UR on Boyang, you better damn well call if for the others! I just want the judging to consistent for EVERYONE - but apparently that is much too big an ask! UGH

Sabrina

Record Breaker
After watching Shoma's SP I think he should retire. Risking a bigger injury is no joke. In his condition he has little chance of getting on the podium. It is true that in 1 leg, he still was the best of the Japanese men.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
After watching Shoma's SP I think he should retire. Risking a bigger injury is no joke. In his condition he has little chance of getting on the podium. It is true that in 1 leg, he still was the best of the Japanese men.

That's so extreme...he just needs a rest. :shocked: He'll be ok once the season is over and he can re-group.

That's so extreme...he just needs a rest. :shocked: He'll be ok once the season is over and he can re-group.

He does need a rest. I also would love for him to start correcting the way he lands jumps, for one, because that simply can't be good for his body in the long run. His alignment seems completely out of whack and it's his stature and core strength that help there, I think.

Kara

Final Flight
What's with people suggesting young skaters retire in this thread??? Seriously?? The judges have put us in bizarro world.

Sabrina

Record Breaker

Retiring from a WC when you are injured is not such a drastic thing. He is very young and has a lot of other chances. Health is more important. But I guess he might try to help with Japan's spots.

Kara

Final Flight
Retiring from a WC when you are injured is not such a drastic thing. He is very young and has a lot of other chances. Health is more important. But I guess he might try to help with Japan's spots.

Do you mean withdraw? :frown:

Interspectator

Record Breaker

Oh, I see. Wthdraw is the more common word rather than retire, I misunderstood. :thumbsup: