2018 Worlds Mens Short Program | Page 70 | Golden Skate

2018 Worlds Mens Short Program

Sabrina

Record Breaker
Do you mean withdraw? :frown:

Yes, of course. Sorry, English is not my first language. I shouldn't make these mistakes as I am rather fluent in English, but once in a while I make confusing mistakes. "Retire" is same sort of false friend in this case.

Kara

Final Flight
Yes, of course. Sorry, English is not my first language. I shouldn't make these mistakes as I am rather fluent in English, but once in a while I make confusing mistakes. "Retire" is same sort of false friend in this case.

Ohhh okay that clears up a lot and I apologize too for going wild. Yeah, I can see why people would want him to maybe withdraw so he doesn't injure himself more, but I think he wants to continue to try to get the spots.:(

vavavoom

Rinkside
actually Yan Han wants to retire already, and China this year does not have a third man other than Boyang or Han that met the MTS to go to the worlds so.... we only have Boyang here

That is not true.

Yuhang GUAN has the TES, as do Wang/Wang or Zhang/Song in Pairs. The Chinese federation chose not to send them.

Xen

Rinkside
Was not a fan of the inconsistent UR calls - if you're going to call UR on Boyang, you better damn well call if for the others! I just want the judging to consistent for EVERYONE - but apparently that is much too big an ask! UGH

Oh, if the TP went with Boyang's 4T as a benchmark for UR, and then called UR consistently like that throughout, only Mikhail may have gone close to or over 100 in the SP. Boyang suffered a LOT scores wise for that UR-if that didn't get called, it's likely his PCS may have gotten to 44.
* I miss Javi, Yuzu and Patrick so much...*

theGourmez

Spectator
My first post! I'm a Javi Fernandez fan, and I was worried that I wouldn't stay interested in men's figure skating after he leaves - at least semi - but I'm finding I'm happy to root for Jin Boyang and Vincent Zhou! And after this performance, I'm adding Keegan Messier to that list. Keegan has the love of performance in skating, and Boyang is very close to finding his niche, IMHO. He's obviously great, just needs a little push into all-around awesomeness. And Zhou entertained me all the way through the Olympics and to now! He's close to connecting with the music, too...almost there! I guess I don't mind some of these supposed jumping beans.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
My first post! I'm a Javi Fernandez fan, and I was worried that I wouldn't stay interested in men's figure skating after he leaves - at least semi - but I'm finding I'm happy to root for Jin Boyang and Vincent Zhou! And after this performance, I'm adding Keegan Messier to that list. Keegan has the love of performance in skating, and Boyang is very close to finding his niche, IMHO. He's obviously great, just needs a little push into all-around awesomeness. And Zhou entertained me all the way through the Olympics and to now! He's close to connecting with the music, too...almost there! I guess I don't mind some of these supposed jumping beans.

Welcome theGourmez! Post often, and long. :thumbsup:

Puchi

On the Ice
As for your information, Japanese commentators (including Takeshi Honda) pointed out the possibility of UR on Vincent's combo, and they sounded a little surprised (to me) when they found out that the jump was not called.

And the British Eurosport commentator pointed out the possibility of UR on Boyang's 4toe. And you know what this information is worth? You gessed: nothing.

Hayashi

Rinkside
I agree with the idea of Shoma withdrawing because I don't want him to risk his ankle to have a major injury. He went to a hospital for X-ray so he probably has a lot of pain. Is gonna be hard to look his FS under this circumstance. I don't care the spots for Japan, don't want him to be suffering pain just for that

Of course is not my decision and Shoma has already decided.
He probably keep fighting only for Japan spots...

So I will be crossing fingers and hoping for him to be safe and fulfill his own expectations

Hayashi

Rinkside
Boyang is my other fave for this WC but honestly I liked more other of his performances. Since is still pending the FS, we will see

yude

Record Breaker
And the British Eurosport commentator pointed out the possibility of UR on Boyang's 4toe. And you know what this information is worth? You gessed: nothing.

OK, then. I will not post any information from now on, at least, in the competition thread :)

Interspectator

Record Breaker
OK, then. I will not post any information from now on, at least, in the competition thread :)

Keep sharing! It's interesting to know what commentators think of skaters from around the world. We can agree or disagree, but it's interesting to know. :thumbsup:

I forgot how people weren't supposed to add their opinions and whatever they found interesting to the thread.

So, sure. Here goes: What's the value of your snide, frankly rude reply? You guessed: nothing.

- - - Updated - - -

I liked knowing. :D

charlotte14

Medalist
This was quite underwhelming to me, none of the performances were inspiring. Nathan's jumps lack quality and that 4Flip did indeed look underrotated, plus a major lack of preceding footwork. Vincent is even more inexplicably getting away without a call, that 4Lz was short. His 4F was slightly better this time though, only 1/4 short instead of more, LOL (but also questionable lack of required entry footwork and not punished at all). Then we have Shoma suddenly going for a 3Sal+3Toe combo and messing it up even? What is going on there.

Meanwhile, Boyang shouldn't have been called for his 4T, it's so obvious how the tech panel frequently deducts just because they see some kind of other visible problem with the landing of a jump, rather than closely scrutinizing the rotation itself. Unfortunately his program is disjointed though and with little depth being expressed. Kolyada wins on jump technique and has good skating skills and presentation ability, but his program is quite nonsensical. Movement frivolously applied on top of a bad music cut.
Boyang's 4T: https://twitter.com/Alisha_Vaughn24/status/976852311464202246
and here https://twitter.com/Alisha_Vaughn24/status/976852494465798144

Nathan's 4F: https://twitter.com/Alisha_Vaughn24/status/976852477793488896
and https://twitter.com/Alisha_Vaughn24/status/976856272745222145
And here https://twitter.com/Alisha_Vaughn24/status/976852507866562566

Zhou's 4Lz3T: https://twitter.com/Alisha_Vaughn24/status/976857237103742976

It's so obvious if they want to be fair and square, they call Boyang, they should have called both Nathan and Zhou. This kind of selective calls and judging sicken me.

kimganos

On the Ice
Preach, Nathan and Vincent both skate so small and the only thing remarkable about their skating is the quantity of jumps.

Vincent's jumps to me are better then Nathan's. Nathan leans over and has no flow out of his jumps. I do like Nathan's step sequence. I would have had Kolyada in 1st place today. Great Skate for him!

charlotte14

Medalist
Vincent's jumps to me are better then Nathan's. Nathan leans over and has no flow out of his jumps. I do like Nathan's step sequence. I would have had Kolyada in 1st place today. Great Skate for him!
:slink: well how about looking at their take-off? Nathan has better take-off while Vincent... well same Floop take-off like Shoma uno.

Danny T

Medalist
This men's event just shows what a great loss it is to have Patrick and Javi retire (and Yuzuru injured). Rather than the win in this WC is invalid, the scores the top men 'earned' here should be marked with an (*). Without the three above PCS became such a joke. If Patrick was there, I wouldn't think some judges are shameless enough to score Chen's SS in the 9s. I like Shoma, and I am rooting for him to pull through his injury (or better yet, rest!!) but compared with the Yuzuru's 48 PCS Chopin, Shoma's showing tonight shouldn't get anywhere near 46 PCS. Same with the other top men, except for maybe Boyang who have shown quite an improvement in his skating.

formersk8ter

On the Ice
This men's event just shows what a great loss it is to have Patrick and Javi retire (and Yuzuru injured). Rather than the win in this WC is invalid, the scores the top men 'earned' here should be marked with an (*). Without the three above PCS became such a joke. If Patrick was there, I wouldn't think some judges are shameless enough to score Chen's SS in the 9s. I like Shoma, and I am rooting for him to pull through his injury (or better yet, rest!!) but compared with the Yuzuru's 48 PCS Chopin, Shoma's showing tonight shouldn't get anywhere near 46 PCS. Same with the other top men, except for maybe Boyang who have shown quite an improvement in his skating.

This year's worlds is NOT a joke.