2018 Worlds Free Dance | Page 51 | Golden Skate

2018 Worlds Free Dance

LandShark

Rinkside
If I was a little underwhelmed with the Gilles /Poirier Latin , then their free was extraordinary.

What a brilliant programme. This time the quirkiness and inventiveness was balanced with real quality and timing. Up 'til now I'd liked their Hitchcock programme the best , but this was real progress. A push on for the top five now?

bramweld

Record Breaker
If I was a little underwhelmed with the Gilles /Poirier Latin , then their free was extraordinary.

What a brilliant programme. This time the quirkiness and inventiveness was balanced with real quality and timing. Up 'til now I'd liked their Hitchcock programme the best , but this was real progress. A push on for the top five now?

Yes, please!!!

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
Finally finished watching the ID competition. Gaby and Guillaume are from another planet, period. Thrilled that Zach and Madi finally skated cleanly and captured their well-deserved first World medal! :yahoo: Kaitlyn and Andrew should be proud that their hard work paid off, congratulations to them! Truthfully though, I enjoyed Anna and Luca more, and am sad for them that they barely missed out on a medal in what appears to be their last competition. I love what they brought to ID and will really miss them. Kaitlin and Jean-Luc were a special highlight for me, what a wonderful performance for them.:clap: I thought they were a bit underscored, but still happy they moved up and finished in the top ten. Kana and Chris had me totally captivated with their FD.

ETA: Also loved Piper and Paul and happy to see them get their career best scores!

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Also loved Piper and Paul and happy to see them get their career best scores!
And honestly so deserved. One could argue they might have gotten a bit more, I think this is the best I've seen them skate, probably ever. They had some issues during the season, and I was having a hard time putting them as front runners... I take it back, they were ready.

viennaskater

Medalist
Russian ice dance is an extreme disaster!! It’s a catastrophic wreck and mess

It seems that their programmes just cannot hold up against the other top teams. To me, they look old-fashioned and seem incapable of choosing themes to make them stand out. Even doing something traditional such as a ballroom-dance theme like Soucisse/Firus seems beyond them. I am all for doing something like that or a tango like G/P did last year, because, if done well, it stands out. (Remember Davis/White's spectacular waltz?)

The Russians also can't seem to attempt something 'out of the box', they often make elements such as lifts look like hard work, they don't express as much emotion, therefore they do not cast a special spell like P/C, W/P etc.

Stepanova/Bukin used to be my favourites of the Russians but definitely not this year, with that dreadful FD. I find that music almost painful to listen to and do not like the twee theme and ugly lifts.

Having said all this, I finally liked Bobrova/Soloviev's FD at the Olympics. For some reason, I thought they skated it beautifully and it really worked for me.

In short, however, the Russians need to do something to seriously compete because the others are all overtaking them.

viennaskater

Medalist
So how were they not as good as Cappellini/Lanotte? I really don't like when the points are gifted based on how much someone weeps after the end :rolleye:

I think C/B should have finished ahead of C/L purely because their SD was way better.

Madison was NOT happy when she saw the results!

viennaskater

Medalist
Here's the thing about Piper and Paul and ID judging.

In most respects this is a really conservative program. It doesn't challenge the audience. It's designed to be a Crowd Pleaser. The music has a pre-built-in emotional response. And the thing is, this is when Piper and Paul get rewarded the most from the judges.

But I think it is their LEAST conventional programs that are far more interesting and will leave a better impression in the future.

I'm with you there. I felt that with the Hitchcock programme and DEFINITELY with that FD the following year with the music by Jorane and Takenobu (had to look those up as I'd never heard of them!). In fact when they did the tango last year I was initially underwhelmed, thinking 'That's NOT them!' but as the season went on I realised that it was a spectacular tango, so respect to them. In my opinion they should not have dropped the Perry Mason, it was sublime! Not a piece of music that anyone thinks of, but I loved it and they did it so well!

I love it when they are being unconventional, but I still adored the Bond!

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
In my opinion they should not have dropped the Perry Mason, it was sublime! Not a piece of music that anyone thinks of, but I loved it and they did it so well!

They said in an interview that they were not getting the marks they wanted with the Perry Mason dance and this is why they made the switch right after they returned from SA. I liked Perry Mason a lot too but in the end it's better to not get buried in the standings when you have a chance to move up.

viennaskater

Medalist
They said in an interview that they were not getting the marks they wanted with the Perry Mason dance and this is why they made the switch right after they returned from SA. I liked Perry Mason a lot too but in the end it's better to not get buried in the standings when you have a chance to move up.

A good strategic move on their part. BTW I like the photo you have of them!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Gabby and Guillaume were wonderful so glad they won gold . Clearest of winners. However, the judging is highly suspect. This team deserves top marks but not so many 10's really!!! This is ridiculous. Maybe and a huge maybe 10s in the free dance but reemmber GAbby is not Guillaumes equal in skating skills and that needs to be refelected in the pcs more. my gosh the marks were given out like expired candy. Ridculouss. World records are useless in skating now with the judging. I especiallly find it har to fathom how the French are given such high marks in the SD when they at this point have a limited range and while did well they were not sp ectacular - because of the limited range. They do their best ot siell it. The resutls would not change but really ridcuoous how judges just donate points to the French. Really cheapens their scores. They are excellent but with issues do not deserve such high marks. If they were so good they probably would have won the olympics. The love affair with the French is deserved to a point but the ridculous scoring of giving points to the French left and right - this is why skating loses its legitmacy to the rest of the world other than us diehards. But well deserved gold nonetheless.

hubell and donohoe skated well and seems anointed and appointed for silver. yay. nice to see them do it finally though it seemed already written in the books they would get silver. I like their programs in general and I think this means the end of the Shib sibs . Good or bad.

And yay for Weapo. Bronze. I hope they don't retire. The Italians looked like they had the bronze but afterr heartbreak in 2014 this seems like the just decision or outcome.

Despite the doom and gloom of Russia they just missed earning three spots with their 2nd and 3rd or 4th dance teams.

Can't forget Chock and Bates or h/d who had a nice competition in 10th. C and B should be happy with fifth. I a mean it is tough you have H/D; Weapo, C/L and tRussians so fifth is great - I know they wanted a medal but that log jam is real.

I liked Gilles and Porier but there is so little room onthe podium and that logjam. They seem to be the innovators but not accepted as muc as the Duchesnay's and bourne and Kraatz - interesting all with Canadian ties.

Kind of surprise Italy did not medal being homeland. They really had 4 chances and I am shocked they did not capitalize in any of the disciplines.

Marsala

Match Penalty
Gabby and Guillaume were wonderful so glad they won gold . Clearest of winners. However, the judging is highly suspect. This team deserves top marks but not so many 10's really!!! This is ridiculous. Maybe and a huge maybe 10s in the free dance but reemmber GAbby is not Guillaumes equal in skating skills and that needs to be refelected in the pcs more. my gosh the marks were given out like expired candy. Ridculouss. World records are useless in skating now with the judging. I especiallly find it har to fathom how the French are given such high marks in the SD when they at this point have a limited range and while did well they were not sp ectacular - because of the limited range. They do their best ot siell it. The resutls would not change but really ridcuoous how judges just donate points to the French. Really cheapens their scores. They are excellent but with issues do not deserve such high marks. If they were so good they probably would have won the olympics. The love affair with the French is deserved to a point but the ridculous scoring of giving points to the French left and right - this is why skating loses its legitmacy to the rest of the world other than us diehards. But well deserved gold nonetheless.

hubell and donohoe skated well and seems anointed and appointed for silver. yay. nice to see them do it finally though it seemed already written in the books they would get silver. I like their programs in general and I think this means the end of the Shib sibs . Good or bad.

And yay for Weapo. Bronze. I hope they don't retire. The Italians looked like they had the bronze but afterr heartbreak in 2014 this seems like the just decision or outcome.

Despite the doom and gloom of Russia they just missed earning three spots with their 2nd and 3rd or 4th dance teams.

Can't forget Chock and Bates or h/d who had a nice competition in 10th. C and B should be happy with fifth. I a mean it is tough you have H/D; Weapo, C/L and tRussians so fifth is great - I know they wanted a medal but that log jam is real.

I liked Gilles and Porier but there is so little room onthe podium and that logjam. They seem to be the innovators but not accepted as muc as the Duchesnay's and bourne and Kraatz - interesting all with Canadian ties.

Kind of surprise Italy did not medal being homeland. They really had 4 chances and I am shocked they did not capitalize in any of the disciplines.

Yes, we know you hate french, but your opinion is not important. yours or mine, They were the one who deserved gold in Korea according to judges. Not slow, rough V/M without any flow.

peepsquick

Final Flight

As opposed to "the" perfect dance couple:sarcasm: . Since when are the OG the alpha and Omega of judging? :laugh2:
Whatever you might think about the marks given in Milan (and you are surely entitled to your opinion!), your post on G/G sounds more like a rant than real appreciation. And let's keep it real ... nobody is/was ever perfect, not even your favorites! G/G's SD was very good, earned great marks like others did in the OG. The rest is question of taste.
Papadakis-Cizeron are a UNIT, they create magic TOGETHER. Gaby is as exceptional as Guillaume. She is just not your typical leading lady hogging the limelight. She is subtle and so light, she literally floats.
I can appreciate other skaters with very different skills. Please give all the nastiness of the past seasons a rest!

maya1985

On the Ice
:noshake:
Fortunately they were "wonderful" (for you)...but not too much :biggrin:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Yes, we know you hate french, but your opinion is not important. yours or mine, They were the one who deserved gold in Korea according to judges. Not slow, rough V/M without any flow.
OMG someone got up on the wrong side of the bed. Chill. Wow now I know how wars are started.

I totally agree with the decision and respect others opinions. I am not necessarily a huge V and M fan who have nothing to do with my comments. The French clearly were the best here. Just saying the scoring is getting ridiculous in my opinion. This has nothing to do with French. I like their personalities and you make it sound like it is clear I hate the French - I have repeatedly said I love their FD even more than Vand M - though I have no idea why you bring them up.

I am really sorry if I upset you but it was not intentional. Please calm down.

Marsala

Match Penalty
:noshake:
Fortunately they were "wonderful" (for you)...but not too much :biggrin:

They were wondeful, so glad they won, however (..)
This team deserves top marks but (...)

ufff , thank God , dress didnt want to cooperate at Olys, then true , perfect, fantastic, amazing couple , the only one who deserved that gold this quad could have won this. Its not important that it is not 100% fair winning , the ubers are glad because their favouties won

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
So much for freedom of speech:( The clear winners here imho were the French; the olympics are gone, over finished. I am talking worlds. The passion for teams is clear and I am not trying to insult people - just giving my two bits. No one will agree all the time. I think we have all had our faves lose and we though they deserved to win or get higher scores. But this is getting a bit cray cray. I certainly have my biases as many of you do but at least I can see the good in the French, Russians and whoever. The poster who called V and M rough and sloppy - since we have fallen down the slippery slope are entitled to their opinion but one could say that about the SD of pc at olympics but that was then and this is now. Well skated and well deserved gold for pc at worlds this year. Maybe overmarked but the results are right:) Peace.

Marsala

Match Penalty
So much for freedom of speech:( The clear winners here imho were the French; the olympics are gone, over finished. I am talking worlds. The passion for teams is clear and I am not trying to insult people - just giving my two bits. No one will agree all the time. I think we have all had our faves lose and we though they deserved to win or get higher scores. But this is getting a bit cray cray. I certainly have my biases as many of you do but at least I can see the good in the French, Russians and whoever. The poster who called V and M rough and sloppy - since we have fallen down the slippery slope are entitled to their opinion but one could say that about the SD of pc at olympics but that was then and this is now. Well skated and well deserved gold for pc at worlds this year. Maybe overmarked but the results are right:) Peace.

Because you re not glad that they did BEAT WR of V/M from Olympic. You know what that mean, thats the point
And french werent sloppy at olys, you re out of your mind, that was not THAT tragic skate like you wanna convince people.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I think we need to remember that judges are people. P/C weave a beautiful spell when they skate that makes them very compelling and if I were a judge I'd be hitting the plus 3 button for them almost all the time because a) they deserve it and b) the moment calls for it. Besides, exactly who are we holding back on the marks for? P/C were going to win this so you might as well give them the marks. H/D were never going to beat them. Not this season anyway and I don't think next season.

Anyway, V/M were not here and this is the WC thread not a debate about who is better. If you want to have that debate the edge is probably the best place for it.