Underrated choreographers | Golden Skate

Underrated choreographers

Wombat1800

On the Ice
Who are some choreographers that you think are underrated? To me, Akiko Suzuki comes to mind. In the past five years, she has made programs for numerous skaters, and there are always several that make it to Japanese Nationals, however, she hasn't choreographed much for internationally recognized skaters (Rika Hongo and Eusnoo Lim are the only ones that come to my mind). Charlie White is also underrated (the fp he gave James and Cipres was awesome), but he hasn't been as active as some better known top choreographers. What are your opinions?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know it’s autocorrect, but I hope you don’t mind: Charlie White is underrotated gave me a chuckle;)

And I quite like his choreo too.;)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Jeremy Abbott
Robin Cousins
Elladj Balde
Adam Rippon
Adam Solya
John Kerr
Yuka Sato

Just to name a few....

rabidline

Final Flight
I don't know if she's underrated, but I'm planning to look up programs choreographed by Misao Sato. She did Kazuki's Riverdance FP, Keiji's Jojo EX and Jin, my favorite EX so far from Kaori. From the way Keiji and Kaori talks about her, she seems to be.. fun :laugh:

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'm adding Benjamin Agosto and Josh Farris here.

SkateSkates

Medalist
Jeff Buttle. I’m not sure if he’s exactly underrated in general, but I think he is still underrated and doesn’t get the recognition he deserves for his work. To me he is one of the best out there today.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Shae-Lynn Bourne! Shae-Lynn Bourne! Shae-Lynn Bourne!

Okay, well, maybe she’s not quite underrated, per se. But I have a bit of a bias, as she’s choreographed some of my all time favourite programs for so many different skaters, most of which have been in the last 6-7 seasons. Also, I cant say I’ve watched a single program she’s choreographed that I generally disliked. :love:

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Shae-Lynn Bourne! Shae-Lynn Bourne! Shae-Lynn Bourne!

Okay, well, maybe she’s not quite overrated, per se. But I have a bit of a bias, as she’s choreographed some of my all time favourite programs for so many different skaters, most of which have been in the last 6-7 seasons. Also, I cant say I’ve watched a single program she’s choreographed that I generally disliked. :love:

Underrated, not overrated LOL!

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Jeff Buttle. I’m not sure if he’s exactly underrated in general, but I think he is still underrated and doesn’t get the recognition he deserves for his work. To me he is one of the best out there today.

Here's another vote for Jeff... :luv17:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Karine Arribert-Narce

She was my big discovery last season. Choreographed for several junior French dance teams. There was something a bit askew--in a delightful way--about the programs she created. Most of the time, I could predict at least in a general way, how a program would be generally constructed. KA-N would just upend those predictions and expectations so I never knew where the program would go next.

That's my kind of choreography.

ankifeather

Final Flight
I would think Shae-Lynn is the last choreographer to appear here...she is the most popular singles choreographer right now and almost every top men and women that doesn't train at Eteri has or is about to get choreography from her. If she is underrated, not sure what to say about other choreographers lol

I would say Richaud..people appreciate his work, but I think he deserve even more top skaters turning to him for choreography. Same for Buttle.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Mark Pillay

Lance Vipond

Kenji Miyamoto

John Zimmerman, Silvia Fontana

Julie Marcotte

Carol Lane

Olga Glinka

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I would think Shae-Lynn is the last choreographer to appear here...she is the most popular singles choreographer right now and almost every top men and women that doesn't train at Eteri has or is about to get choreography from her. If she is underrated, not sure what to say about other choreographers lol

I would say Richaud..people appreciate his work, but I think he deserve even more top skaters turning to him for choreography. Same for Buttle.

Benoit has a good list of well-known skaters that he's choreographing for this season - I actually think he's very 'trendy' at the moment.

shine

Record Breaker
Mark Pillay is really underused for the quality and originality of work he does.

Orlov

Medalist
Daniil Gleyhengauz, obviously :biggrin: The guy makes a lot of great programs, but a lot of people constantly criticize him and his programs for reasons I do not understand.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Daniil Gleyhengauz, obviously :biggrin: The guy makes a lot of great programs, but a lot of people constantly criticize him and his programs for reasons I do not understand.

Because his choreography tends to be overly cluttered. Unfortunately, in the drive to milk every point, he throws everything into the pot and then heats it up. I'd love to see what he could choreograph if he was allowed to let the moves breathe, have some space and time. Right now, I don't remember his choreography, I just remember jump-spin-too many steps in the step sequence-spin-halfway point-jump-jump-jump-jump-jump-jump-spin-jump.

ruga

Final Flight
Daniil's programs have interesting concepts, but sometimes leave an impression of a bunch of movements not connected to music or each other. He is neither overrated nor underrated IMO.