Jason Brown leaks a bit of "Schindler's List" | Golden Skate

Jason Brown leaks a bit of "Schindler's List"

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The glorious Ina Bauer. The beautiful spiral. The pure skating skills.

and of course, All. The. Feels.

And this is just from an IG clip, although granted, one from On Ice Perspectives...

:luv17:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
This is already amazing.

I may never see the whole of this program. I will be too busy crying.

It is already a three hankie tragedy. :cry:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
See, this exemplfiies perfectly why Jason is near at the top and is loved so dearly - more than many of his technically superior peers - even though he is quad-light in a quad world. He is such a wonderful skater and he has the gift of amazing emotional connection; what he can do matters to the audience.

See, this exemplfiies perfectly why Jason is near at the top and is loved so dearly - more than many of his technically superior peers - even though he is quad-light in a quad world.

This is where I fault the language that has become common in describing figure skating. Somehow the word "technique" has been degraded to meaning "jumping."

I don't think so. I think that "figure skating technique" means something different altogether than whether you do a quad or not. What is "technical" about doing a quad? Technique, technique, technique, in every movement from beginning to end -- to me, that's what makes a performance sing.

When the ISU came out with the IJS in 2002, the abbreviation "TES" meant "Total Element Score." That is, the sum of the scores that you get for individual specified elements. Only later was this language confused into "Technical Element Score, as if, for instance, the program components SS an Tr are not "technical," as if Interpretation and Performance do not rely on technique.

mrrice

Record Breaker
This is where I fault the language that has become common in describing figure skating. Somehow the word "technique" has been degraded to meaning "jumping."

I don't think so. I think that "figure skating technique" means something different altogether than whether you do a quad or not. What is "technical" about doing a quad? Technique, technique, technique, in every movement from beginning to end -- to me, that's what makes a performance sing.

When the ISU came out with the IJS in 2002, the abbreviation "TES" meant "Total Element Score." That is, the sum of the scores that you get for individual specified elements. Only later was this language confused into "Technical Element Score, as if, for instance, the program components SS an Tr are not "technical," as if Interpretation and Performance do not rely on technique.

He's also in incredible shape. He looks amazing.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

I agree, of course. Jumps should have never become the be all and end all... and to be honest, I think the popularity of the sport needs them not to be.

Jason being at least Exhibit Number In-The-Top-Three in defence of this :biggrin:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Watching Jason skate brightens the day and calms the spirit. :thumbsup: I love skaters who hold their moves for longer than 1 second. ;)

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I don't think 'leak' is quite the right word here? A leak is something done to make public information that someone in power wants to keep secret*. This is more like a proud author releasing their book... (Now, if someone else had filmed him without his knowledge and posted it online, that would be a leak.)

Anyway, whatever, it's stunning and I can't wait to see it in full. :love:

*Or as the old sitcom had it, "I give confidential press briefings; you leak; he's been charged under Section 2a of the Official Secrets Act."

Tavi...

Record Breaker
music editing reminds me of Joshua Farris SL (self choreoed)
One of the most soulful performance I have ever seen!!!
4CC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJVgYB3DPhw
precious 4CC fancam (MUST WATCH)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REtSJdmBXOc

I think the programs are going to be very different, though, because Jason and Josh are so different. Although they both start with the same music - probably from the same recording - both in demeanor and choreography, Josh’s pain seems more contemplative and internalized, while Jason seems almost frantic and trapped in places. For me the different feel of the two programs is perfectly expressed in the contrasting instrumentation used in the main theme: for Josh, piano, and for Jason, violin.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
As usual Jason looks amazing and the quality of his skating is first rate. But people get a grip, lol, we saw I think a double axel and just a few seconds. No matter how beautiful the skating (and we saw just a snippet) heis going to need the big tricks. Let's not get carried away - yet.