Reasons for toxicity among figure skating fans | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Reasons for toxicity among figure skating fans

Ophelia

Record Breaker
It wouldn't take more than one brief comment from the athlete.

Look at the awful (and scary) things some of the Yuna fans said about Adelina after Sochi. Literal death threats. Yuna was so revered, I believe that just one comment to fans would have curbed all of that. I have to admit that my respect for Yuna faded somewhat, because it almost looked like she was okay with all of the threats and nastiness against Adelina. (Not saying that was the case, I have no way of knowing what she thought.)

Well then people would expect her to say something about her fans harassment to Asada all those years, and then it becomes why didn't Kim speak out on this issue or that? Then people start making character judgments based on when she speaks out and when she doesn't. It's a slippery slope and superstars would benefit from not going near that slope.

Beyonce has a rabid fan base and there's never an expectation that she speaks out to moderate the Beyhives action. Shes not spoken out even when her fans go on harassment rampages.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In many instances, people do have a personal stake or vested interest. -> Sports betting. There are people who bet money, a lot if money for their fav to win.
If their selected choice loses, they lose $$$$.
Nowadays, with online betting available, it's even easier.

People bet on figure skating??????

shine

Record Breaker
Just as in many other sports, some fans project too much of themselves onto their favorites, hence the visceral reactions to varying results. It’s no longer about the skaters.
Bingo.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I don't think these "fans" would accept it if their idols did speak out.

They don't accept that they really have genuine respect, appreciation or admiration for each other. These "fans" will continue to go against what their idols say or would want no matter what.

How anyone can say they are a good fan of someone who they disrespect by ignoring their respect for their opponents and by dragging their idol's own reputation through the mud by doing these things.

Agreed.

Fans are entitled to their opinions and feel justified in such opinions when their fave says something that aligns to it, but funny enough.. the moment their fave contradicts their opinion (such as when Hanyu and Chen respectfully compliment each other and state what they feel are their own shortcomings compared to the other) suddenly their fave’s comment gets ignored.

Somehow just because Hanyu said “I have to learn about the balance btwn jumps and program - Nathan is able to do that.” Or “He has everything - so much clean jumps, music sense is good. He can feel the tempo with music.” I doubt that certain fans of his are suddenly going to agree on those fronts. Just as I’m sure there are some who think Chen is better on components even though he said “Program components - I'm still not comparable to Yuzu.”

So I doubt skaters denouncing vandalism/death threats/etc will have any effect and as mentioned can be a dangerous slippery slope too.

noskates

Record Breaker
I think it would be wrong and out of line for a figure skater to admonish his fans. If he or she did - it would give credence to their behavior. The only way to stop it is to stop buying into it. Don't argue, don't challenge, don't add to it, don't keep trying to win someone over to your way of thinking. Some of the battles on this board are almost funny. None of them will have one iota of influence on the outcome or success in a competition. None of them will change layouts or music or judges results or any of that. So what's the point? If I prefer Nathan over Yuzu - what kind of rhetoric do you think will change my mind? Particularly if it's presented to me in a confrontive and belligerent way. (and I'm just using those 2 young men as an example - not stating a preference)

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
It is also here at small federations. When we had Kiira Korpi and Laura Lepistö, who were competing quite eventually 10 years ago, people - most of them are people who do not know or follow much about FS - made gap between them. Most people liked Laura and disliked Kiira, probably because Kiira got so much media attention. But in reality they are very good friends and have been it from little girls and still are.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
It is also here at small federations. When we had Kiira Korpi and Laura Lepistö, who were competing quite eventually 10 years ago, people - most of them are people who do not know or follow much about FS - made gap between them. Most people liked Laura and disliked Kiira, probably because Kiira got so much media attention. But in reality they are very good friends and have been it from little girls and still are.

As I recall, they went to each other's weddings.

Manitou

Medalist
People are people, and being 100% positive all the time is quite tiring.

lol, that's so true.

Anyway, figure skating fans are not toxic at all comparing to other sports. Comparing to major sports figure skating fans are noble ladies and gentlemen.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
I don't understand the need for some to be so toxic, most people can be very passionate about someone but still be respectful and polite about others.

Lol Mishaminion, have you been on the Russian Ladies Thread in the past 3 years, particularly in the Olympic year?

For any newbie, I would recommend a hockey helmet and a cup, if offering a difference of opinion. Toxicity on steroids, I say.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Concerning for me is how skaters, especially very young ones, are prepared to psychologically deal with audience negativity as well as approval... if one wears a silk hat, one must be prepared to duck.
Anyone in the public eye can become a target for animosity.. learned this the hard way working a second job in retail during the Christmas Season (long ago); one customer was obnoxious in the extreme so I casually said, "Did you have a fight with your boyfriend last night?" That was the end of my brief tenure in retail.. :rolleye:

noskates

Record Breaker
I've worked with the public for a very long time in different capacities - retail, technical support, etc. There often is no rhyme or reason why someone "goes off" on you other than they sense you can't really retaliate (without being fired....) Again - actions seemingly without consequences. Social media has made this behavior much, much worse. As I said upstream - I just pick and choose what I'll read and definitely stay out of threads where my opinions would be considered toxic. This is a sport and should be enjoyed - not something to get all upset about. I often think that the people who are the most invested are the ones that have little else in their lives - else why would it be sooooo important that everyone agree with them! Gross generalization maybe but I can't think of any other explanation. You don't get paid to be a fan.

eaglehelang

Final Flight
I've worked with the public for a very long time in different capacities - retail, technical support, etc. There often is no rhyme or reason why someone "goes off" on you other than they sense you can't really retaliate (without being fired....) Again - actions seemingly without consequences. Social media has made this behavior much, much worse. As I said upstream - I just pick and choose what I'll read and definitely stay out of threads where my opinions would be considered toxic. This is a sport and should be enjoyed - not something to get all upset about. I often think that the people who are the most invested are the ones that have little else in their lives - else why would it be sooooo important that everyone agree with them! Gross generalization maybe but I can't think of any other explanation. You don't get paid to be a fan.

The internet is safe space for people to air their frustrations/rant. They are frustrated with happenings in real life so they vent online.

Other than that one major reason some are so invested is due to sports betting. Their chosen team/players loses, they lose a lot of money. Yeah, they dont get paid to be a fan, they pay a lot of their money in hope of winning big.

frida80

Record Breaker

People bet on everything. I found a place where you can bet on the weather.

But the ladies event is the most popular of the Winter Olympics. Of course people would bet on it.

noskates

Record Breaker
I hear what you're saying about betting but I don't think that has anything to do with some of the vitriol that's posted here about judging, skater's programs, competitions, outcomes, etc. Because nothing that's written here or on any other skating board has anything to do with the actual competitions.

arewhyaen

On the Ice
I understand that the skaters are not responsible for how their fans act, but they do have a lot of power in controlling their fanbase and really calming things down. I think the fanaticism is a positive sign for the sport - that we actually do have skating stars who inspire an entire fandom. Rivalries are always good for a sport - just look at tennis and Roger v. Novak v. Rafa. But those tennis players did a good job at keeping things civil between them and their fanbase.

Which brings me back to my initial point. Skaters are not responsible for how their fans act but they should for the sake of their sport speak out against things that their fans may be doing. And if a skater hasn't spoken out against things that their fans do, then the skater is somewhat complicit in their fans' actions.

eaglehelang

Final Flight

They can bet on figure skating during Olympics, if they want. I've seen a website(legal) which had figure skating, rather, all the 2018 Olympics sports on the list.

Though of course its more prevalent in sports like football, boxing. For less popular sports(less popular in western countries), some fans will look thru the list in case the punters got the odds wrong. Then they can win easy money.

gkelly

Record Breaker
And if a skater hasn't spoken out against things that their fans do, then the skater is somewhat complicit in their fans' actions.

How much time are skaters supposed to devote to keeping track of their fans' activities?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
People bet on everything. I found a place where you can bet on the weather.

But the ladies event is the most popular of the Winter Olympics. Of course people would bet on it.

I can't even win the prediction games on Goldenskate. I'd never bet actual money on it. How weird.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Which brings me back to my initial point. Skaters are not responsible for how their fans act but they should for the sake of their sport speak out against things that their fans may be doing. And if a skater hasn't spoken out against things that their fans do, then the skater is somewhat complicit in their fans' actions.

It would be nice if skaters chose to speak out but policing their fan base is NOT their job. And the responsibility for a person's actions, barring some very unusual circumstance such as a gun being held to a person's head, are the responsibility of that person and that person alone. The skater is absolutely not complicit.

If I decide Gracie did not place well enough and go key all the judges' cars (just a ridiculous example), is that Gracie's fault? No. It is MY fault and MY responsibility and no one elses'.