Question about John wilson blades, what should I do? | Golden Skate

Question about John wilson blades, what should I do?

FrozenGunner

Spectator
Hi all, I'm from New Zealand. I'm trying to get John Wilson Gold Seal Revolution here. There are 2 retailers here, one I have had very bad experience with and have stopped buying from(Retailer A). The other I really like but do not have distribution for John wilson blades(Retailer B). So I need these blades urgently and know that A always has it in stock, B has to get stock from A but they said the wait will be 5 weeks. I don't understand why a retailer that wholesales from another retailer can not get direct access to these blades? Anyone has any idea how the John Wilson system work?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi all, I'm from New Zealand. I'm trying to get John Wilson Gold Seal Revolution here. There are 2 retailers here, one I have had very bad experience with and have stopped buying from(Retailer A). The other I really like but do not have distribution for John wilson blades(Retailer B). So I need these blades urgently and know that A always has it in stock, B has to get stock from A but they said the wait will be 5 weeks. I don't understand why a retailer that wholesales from another retailer can not get direct access to these blades? Anyone has any idea how the John Wilson system work?

How about you contact John Wilson directly and see if you can buy them directly and get expedited shipping to NZ.

FrozenGunner

Spectator
How about you contact John Wilson directly and see if you can buy them directly and get expedited shipping to NZ.

I have contacted them and they just pointed me to the retailer I don't want to deal with and they said they have no other retailers in the area.
To be more specific with the problem, this retailer is quite influential in the rink and my skating is affected too. It's just unfair and I will never spend a cent with them!
It's ridiculous. monopoly for a good product and John wilson turns a blind eye on it!!

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I have contacted them and they just pointed me to the retailer I don't want to deal with and they said they have no other retailers in the area.
To be more specific with the problem, this retailer is quite influential in the rink and my skating is affected too. It's just unfair and I will never spend a cent with them!
It's ridiculous. monopoly for a good product and John wilson turns a blind eye on it!!

Well then try another retailer online outside of NZ and have them expedite shipping.

FrozenGunner

Spectator
Well then try another retailer online outside of NZ and have them expedite shipping.

Is this how John Wilson works? force people to buy from their only retailer?I wonder if skaters all over the world has to go through this.
Shipping costs arm and leg too. I guess my point is, it's quite ridiculous that we, despite having retailers in the country, had to buy from another country and pay so much more.
I'm sure I'm not the only one who's bullied by this business. They are part of the judging panel in the competitions and basically favors anyone who buys from them, this is a known secret.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Is this how John Wilson works? force people to buy from their only retailer?I wonder if skaters all over the world has to go through this.
Shipping costs arm and leg too. I guess my point is, it's quite ridiculous that we, despite having retailers in the country, had to buy from another country and pay so much more.
I'm sure I'm not the only one who's bullied by this business. They are part of the judging panel in the competitions and basically favors anyone who buys from them, this is a known secret.

No, that is not how they work so please stop making up ridiculous claims. You unfortunately live in a place where it's shop at the place that has them for you or do it the other way that I suggested.

I am in North America and a pro and get my things directly from them most of the time for years now. But that is my level and I deal right with their rep.

Also, this thread should be in the Lutz Corner.

FrozenGunner

Spectator
No, that is not how they work so please stop making up ridiculous claims. You unfortunately live in a place where it's shop at the place that has them for you or do it the other way that I suggested.

I am in North America and a pro and get my things directly from them most of the time for years now. But that is my level and I deal right with their rep.

Also, this thread should be in the Lutz Corner.

wow I'm not at your level yet so no rep will deal direct with me. Thanks for your help anyways.

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
wow I'm not at your level yet so no rep will deal direct with me. Thanks for your help anyways.

I didn't say they would or suggest that you do that.

I said you are stuck either buying from shop A, or a shop overseas and having the shipping expedited.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Get real. You live in a country that is the size of a 5 cent piece and where skating is a very tiny niche sport. Of course there are going to be monopolies, it's the averages of supply and demand. Why on earth would John Wilson spend the money to support two blade retailers in New Zealand when there's probably hardly enough business to support one?

It sounds like your real problem is something you need to report to the New Zealand fed and has nothing to do with John Wilson. They aren't bullying you, you are being ridiculous.

Frankly, your attitude has been appalling considering you came here asking for help and Ic3Rabbit tried to do just that. She doesn't have to help, but she does, and this is the attitude you give her?

Your choices are your choices. You buy from shop A, wait 5 weeks for shop B, or you order from overseas. I imagine you could get them from Australia without too many dramas. That's the way of life when you live in a small skating country. Throwing a temper tantrum because there is a deeper issue but people here aren't telling you what you want to hear will get you absolutely nowhere.

Elija

On the Ice
Hi, I also live in NZ and am well aware of who you’re talking about. Not sure what you’re referring to with judging though, hadn’t heard about that. Anyway, you can actually buy JW and MK blades cheaper from Europe or the UK (including shipping) than they cost here anyway, so if you know your size I would just do that if you’re having issues with the suppliers here.

Edit - also I was under the impression both the stores your talking about receive supply from the companies directly. In the past they used to work together, but I don’t believe so anymore? Unless something has changed I’m not aware of.

Sibelius

On the Ice
Try Amazon. I mean, they're $750 blades, if you're going to buy at that price how much more can shipping be. Maybe go with regular Gold Seals and save a hundred or so to cover shipping? My 12 year old skates on those just fine...

What are you working on? Quads? Triples? Just curious.

Sibelius

On the Ice
I'd give just about anything to be in New Zealand about now. They seem to have gotten their stuff together over this virus. Here in the States, not so much...

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Hey! No reason for big, bad Australia to breat up on little brother New Zealand!

They're our little sibling. Teasing them about relative size is our job.

I'd give just about anything to be in New Zealand about now. They seem to have gotten their stuff together over this virus. Here in the States, not so much...

Even here in Australia we have been jealous. But finding the source of the latest outbreak in New Zealand will be imperative. How did it get back in in a country in lockdown? If it's a food or surface transmission, as suspected, that is a huge problem.

Elija

On the Ice
They're our little sibling. Teasing them about relative size is our job.

Even here in Australia we have been jealous. But finding the source of the latest outbreak in New Zealand will be imperative. How did it get back in in a country in lockdown? If it's a food or surface transmission, as suspected, that is a huge problem.

We only had seven cases today, so fingers crossed it stays that way and we'll be back to normal again soon. It is concerning about how it got in though, that still hasn't been determined. Seems like perhaps through the port, that's the going theory at the moment. Other option is maybe a flight attendant. Otherwise a mystery how it got through the border.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Try Amazon. I mean, they're $750 blades, if you're going to buy at that price how much more can shipping be. Maybe go with regular Gold Seals and save a hundred or so to cover shipping? My 12 year old skates on those just fine...

What are you working on? Quads? Triples? Just curious.

You don't even need them for triples. They aren't even "necessary" for quads: https://youtu.be/XDiqczB6RRM?t=42 . They do make jumping easier though and require less energy. also good for steps.

What I recommend to people is to learn how to do triple jumps (or doubles for adults), and then afterward buy revolutions. It will result in people being more powerful jumpers long term.

Sibelius

On the Ice
You don't even need them for triples. They aren't even "necessary" for quads: https://youtu.be/XDiqczB6RRM?t=42 . They do make jumping easier though and require less energy. also good for steps.

What I recommend to people is to learn how to do triple jumps (or doubles for adults), and then afterward buy revolutions. It will result in people being more powerful jumpers long term.

I was trying to make that point with subtlety...