2020-21 Japanese Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Japanese Ladies' Figure Skating

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
She looks very very happy and I like how the group is run from just seeing the pictures. They seem to be doing a lot of different activities. Given the pandemic and it's repercussions on mental health I'm very pleased with all the footage we've seen of Rika. I think she's being well cared for.

As for motivation, Rika has always struck me as being extremely ambitious (albeit in a quiet reserved manner). I'm sure she is well aware that the Russian quadsters and Young You (who is a threat) exist even if she's not training with them. I don't think she needs to train with one everyday to stay motivated.

gotoschool

Medalist
I am happy to see that Rika is enjoying outdoor picnics, the sunshine, the lush green grass including trips to the Alps, while showing her smiling face with no mask and no social distancing in her photos including those in the skating rink on instagram. I think this does wonders for her mental and physical well being.

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
For the Japanese ladies? No, some domestic events are still scheduled to take place. I think one took place in Fukuoka, and one is scheduled to take place this month in Osaka. But they're mostly for the local skaters. Two events have been cancelled AFAIK - Gensan and a competition in Tokyo.

mikeko666

Final Flight
Are all the summer competitions cancelled?

The Iizuka Cup was held on August 1-2. The participants were limited only to skaters from Fukuoka Prefecture Federation this year.

Senior Men
1. Kosuke Nakano (25th in Nats 2019) 179.76

Senior Ladies
1. Hina Takeno (14th in Nats 2019) 146.32

Junior Men
1. Sora Tarumi 139.33

Junior Ladies
1. Maria Egawa (19th in Junior Nats 2019) 133.59

All Osaka II will be held on August 29. The Senior and Junior competitions are FS only.

Osaka Prefecture Federation Local Competitions

Senior Men: Taichi Honda, Mitsuki Sumoto
Senior Ladies: Ayaka Hosoda, Riko Takino, Moa Iwano
Junior Men: Yuto Kishina, Sena Miyake

EDIT: Sorry, I got the men's entry wrong. Taichi Honda will state, not Kazuki Tomono.

readernick

Medalist
Have you seen Rika's new LutzLoop on Instagram ������

Someone means business!

Yes! Amazing! I do prefer her 3F3lo to her 3lz3lo though, it has better timing. All of Rika's combos are so beautiful, the rhythm between jumps is just perfect.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
The Iizuka Cup was held on August 1-2. The participants were limited only to skaters from Fukuoka Prefecture Federation this year.

Senior Men

Senior Ladies

Junior Men
1. Sora Tarumi 139.33

Junior Ladies

All Osaka II will be held on August 29. The Senior and Junior competitions are FS only.

Senior Men: Kazuki Tomono, Mitsuki Sumoto
Thanks
Good to see that Ayaka keeps competing. After the last rough season (due to injury) i thought she would retire like she intended to.

A shame that Gensan and Kanto summer cups got cancelled.

ali0125

On the Ice
Country
Australia

Senior Men

Senior Ladies

Junior Men
1. Sora Tarumi 139.33

Junior Ladies

Senior Men: Kazuki Tomono, Mitsuki Sumoto

Good to see Hosoda back! Really love her solid 3A and wish her all the best.

Talking about team Hamada, I'm just curious whether Hamada is with Rika in Switzerland?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
She looks very very happy and I like how the group is run from just seeing the pictures. They seem to be doing a lot of different activities. Given the pandemic and it's repercussions on mental health I'm very pleased with all the footage we've seen of Rika. I think she's being well cared for.

As for motivation, Rika has always struck me as being extremely ambitious (albeit in a quiet reserved manner). I'm sure she is well aware that the Russian quadsters and Young You (who is a threat) exist even if she's not training with them. I don't think she needs to train with one everyday to stay motivated.

To be honest. Rika is really the favorite right now. The Russian girls are growing in not a good way and have coaching issues. Rika is getting stronger with bigger tricks and great artistry. Any news on Wakaba, Kaori or Satoko

Fried

Final Flight
(...) The Russian girls are growing in not a good way (...)
Is there a reputable source for this claim? Apart from you, NOBODY actually knows what condition the Russian girls are currently in. And that is unlikely to change until mid-September.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Since regionals and sectionals will probably matter more than usual for nats qualifications (i don't think GPs will happen or be enough), i wonder if they will be broadcasted.
Western competitions should be at least since they are way more packed than eastern competitions.
Though, if Yuzuru has to attend those competitions, eastern sectionals can be broadcasted.

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Western competitions should be at least since they are way more packed than eastern competitions.
Though, if Yuzuru has to attend those competitions, eastern sectionals can be broadcasted.

Regionals will be held in between Sept 24~Oct 11. Since the overlapping CS/JGP during this period of time had been either cancelled or postpond, it won't be a surprise that some skaters will want to join the local competitions to get into the competitive mode. (Correction: since JSF already made the announcement that they would not send skaters to CS/JGP, they'll need to figure out in case the skaters want to join the local competitions.)

Sectionals will be held in between Oct 29~early Nov. (in two consecutive weekends, first Western section and then Eastern section). But it's kind of too early to tell for now, I think.

But why is Hanyu mentioned here I'm not sure? (He won't 'have to' attend any of these competitions, as the seeded skaters from last season's National placement. It's only if he volunteers himself to take part in domestic competitions, but why taking the risk under the current situation?)

mikeko666

Final Flight
Since regionals and sectionals will probably matter more than usual for nats qualifications (i don't think GPs will happen or be enough), i wonder if they will be broadcasted.

I expect Fuji TV to air the Eastern and Western Sectionals at least in one of their cable channels this year. They aired the Western Sectionals in 2018 and 2019 because of Takahashi although he withdrew last year due to injuries.

This year's Western Sectionals include ice dance Sectionals (both Eastern and Western), which will be Muramoto/Takahashi's debut, so many are very interested.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Regionals will be held in between Sept 24~Oct 11. Since the overlapping CS/JGP during this period of time had been either cancelled or postpond, it won't be a surprise that some skaters will want to join the local competitions to get into the competitive mode. (Correction: since JSF already made the announcement that they would not send skaters to CS/JGP, they'll need to figure out in case the skaters want to join the local competitions.)

Sectionals will be held in between Oct 29~early Nov. (in two consecutive weekends, first Western section and then Eastern section). But it's kind of too early to tell for now, I think.

But why is Hanyu mentioned here I'm not sure? (He won't 'have to' attend any of these competitions, as the seeded skaters from last season's National placement. It's only if he volunteers himself to take part in domestic competitions, but why taking the risk under the current situation?)

Hanyu is mentioned because i thought only the nats champ doesn't have to attend regionals and sectionals. And since GPs can not happen, skaters in this case won't get a bye because of schedule conflict as usual.
No big name in Eastern sectionals then. So low chance for them to get aired.

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Usually, the skaters who got the top 3 placements from the Nationals in the previous season will get the seed skater status and will be waived from the local competitions (regional and sectional). In this case, Shoma, Yuzuru, and Rika, Wakaba will get a bye in the up-coming local competitions. Note that for Yuma and Tomoe, I'm not quite sure about their status if both are moving up to senior level (Recall there's the rule that in case of a switch between jr/sr levels then the skaters are required to participate in regional/sectional in order to advance).

sk8ath

On the Ice
Usually, the skaters who got the top 3 placements from the Nationals in the previous season will get the seed skater status and will be waived from the local competitions (regional and sectional). In this case, Shoma, Yuzuru, and Rika, Wakaba will get a bye in the up-coming local competitions. Note that for Yuma and Tomoe, I'm not quite sure about their status if both are moving up to senior level (Recall there's the rule that in case of a switch between jr/sr levels then the skaters are required to participate in regional/sectional in order to advance).

As Yuma and Tomoe are medalists of senior nationals, they are not required to participate in regional/sectional.