2020-21 Japanese Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Japanese Ladies' Figure Skating

readernick

Medalist
https://twitter.com/fsnanchara/status/1196544630784790529
This is my uneducated guess, but the news seems to explain a bit why first Satoko (I can't recall clearly if she went to Lee before the case) then Rika sought to work with overseas coaches while still keeping Hamada in their coaching teams.
I hope their issues won't affect the skaters that much.

I think many of us are already aware of the situation. There are definitely a lot of rumors related to Hamada in terms of her severe coaching style/the way she treats her skaters and colleagues. She has also (similar to some Russian coaches) said quite inappropriate things about current/former students to the media. (Not so much as a form of punishment after they leave, more as a way to pressure skaters to improve in some way while she is still coaching them). I enjoy many of the skaters what she coaches. However, I am concerned about her students welfare (honestly, I have the same feeling about many coaches worldwide). If Rika and Satoko are happier training overseas, I hope that they continue to train in environments that will be good for their mental and physical health.

bouncy

☀️
On the Ice
I think many of us are already aware of the situation. There are definitely a lot of rumors related to Hamada in terms of her severe coaching style/the way she treats her skaters and colleagues. She has also (similar to some Russian coaches) said quite inappropriate things about current/former students to the media. (Not so much as a form of punishment after they leave, more as a way to pressure skaters to improve in some way while she is still coaching them). I enjoy many of the skaters what she coaches. However, I am concerned about her students welfare (honestly, I have the same feeling about many coaches worldwide). If Rika and Satoko are happier training overseas, I hope that they continue to train in environments that will be good for their mental and physical health.

Yeah, the case has been going on for a while but it's the first time I saw that the university might force both Hamada and Oda to resign. That's worse than I thought.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I think many of us are already aware of the situation. There are definitely a lot of rumors related to Hamada in terms of her severe coaching style/the way she treats her skaters and colleagues. She has also (similar to some Russian coaches) said quite inappropriate things about current/former students to the media. (Not so much as a form of punishment after they leave, more as a way to pressure skaters to improve in some way while she is still coaching them).
Hamada seems so nice in KnC that i think many people either don't believe in the rumors or don't care. Because basically no one talk about it. Despite testimonies from skater(s).

mikeko666

Final Flight

According to this article on August 26, Hamada filed a countersuit against Nobu last February. Nobu claimed that she grabbed Satoko by her hair and slammed her at the ice after she made multiple mistakes, yelling at her "Why can't you do such a easy stuff! Quit skating!"

I remember that when Yamato Tamura was on Kenji's Room (TV talk show program hosted by Kenji Miyamoto) with Satoko a few years ago, he admitted he yelled at her like "Hetakuso! (You suck!)" and "Go back to a beginner's class!" when she made mistakes.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
According to this article on August 26, Hamada filed a countersuit against Nobu last February. Nobu claimed that she grabbed Satoko by her hair and slammed her at the ice after she made multiple mistakes, yelling at her "Why can't you do such a easy stuff! Quit skating!"

I remember that when Yamato Tamura was on Kenji's Room (TV talk show program hosted by Kenji Miyamoto) with Satoko a few years ago, he admitted he yelled at her like "Hetakuso! (You suck!)" and "Go back to a beginner's class!" when she made mistakes.

Awful. I really hope coaches like these two are in the minority. Good for Nobu to vent this dirty linen, I hope this leads to improvement in training environment for skaters. And good for Satoko and Rika K to get out of that place, if this is what it looks like there.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker

I remember I heard Megan Duhamel back in 2018 on TSL mentioned Hamada and grabbing of ponytails, in case her girls did something wrong. To be honest, I thought she meant it figuratively back then, just meaning that she's a stern and strict coach, and not in a sense of actual physical abuse.

But it looks like within skaters this behavior of Hamada was well known for some time, and it is indeed a literal grabbing by the ponytail. This is a second time a skater and her being dragged by hair is mentioned.

MiraiFan

Final Flight
I remember I heard Megan Duhamel back in 2018 on TSL mentioned Hamada and grabbing of ponytails, in case her girls did something wrong. To be honest, I thought she meant it figuratively back then, just meaning that she's a stern and strict coach, and not in a sense of actual physical abuse.

But it looks like within skaters this behavior of Hamada was well known for some time, and it is indeed a literal grabbing by the ponytail. This is a second time a skater and her being dragged by hair is mentioned.

Sadly this is not uncommon... When I helped coach a high school gymnastics team in Japan, their coach regularly made them run laps in "fat suits," yelled and screamed, and made comments about weight, appearance, and everything else. Not that the US is much better, looking at all the recent scandals...

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Usually, the skaters who got the top 3 placements from the Nationals in the previous season will get the seed skater status and will be waived from the local competitions (regional and sectional). In this case, Shoma, Yuzuru, and Rika, Wakaba will get a bye in the up-coming local competitions. Note that for Yuma and Tomoe, I'm not quite sure about their status if both are moving up to senior level (Recall there's the rule that in case of a switch between jr/sr levels then the skaters are required to participate in regional/sectional in order to advance).

Just adding the note for future reference: JSF held meeting on Aug 2, and it's the decision by them that Satoko will be admitted with seeded status and waived from the regional and sectional. The main reason is that Satoko is currently training in Canada and considering the international traveling restrictions. (Satoko placed 4th at Nationals last season, but JSF said they also take into consideration her overall performances and international ranking to decide on this.)

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Photos from Rika's new SP: https://www.instagram.com/p/CEiwcv5HJOY/

After seeing the first one, I am now very curious about this programme!

Wow, that looks interesting. Rika pulling out all the stops, isn’t she?

Can’t wait for Japan Open, but I noticed moa iwano wasn’t invited, and I’ve been wondering what happened to her since that Astirius short program and the crazy beautiful costume of blue pink and purple.

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
Some clips of Rika's new SP
https://www.instagram.com/tv/CEzGHz9HeLs/?igshid=le9sdvlit216
Song is Leeloo by Izzamuzzic

Aw, shookie shookie now! Thank goodness for Kihira. While everyone else are skating to Muse, Romeo and Juliet, or (insert famous composer here) for the 367742197th time, she continues to actually experiment with music choices. (She’s too good for Swan Lake anyway). This is an excellent vehicle for her as it calls for intense body movement instead of facial expression and she’s the best at the former. Although I must say... she had some fire in her eyes in a few of those clips.

A handstand would’ve been nice as the opening pose, but she straight up does a cartwheel. I’m pretty sure that’s illegal unless she can do it without her hands touching the ice. Anyways, I’m looking forward to her SP most of all.

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
Oh Rika Rika Rika.

That straight up looks amazing and I see an inferno in those eyes.

Question: What are the odds she can keep the cartwheel??? I live for the cartwheel!!!! How many points will she get deducted if she keeps it?

readernick

Medalist
I am not sure that that cartwheel is illegal. The Junior Georgian Dance team did side by side cartwheels in their free dance last year without any deduction. Rules may be different for single skaters, but I hope she can keep that piece of choreography.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
I am not sure that that cartwheel is illegal. The Junior Georgian Dance team did side by side cartwheels in their free dance last year without any deduction. Rules may be different for single skaters, but I hope she can keep that piece of choreography.

They got no deduction because the cartwheel was part of the choreo sequence for Ice Dance teams. Ice Dance teams are allowed to do moves in the choreo sequence that are illegal for other skaters. My guess is that she will do an aerial in the program.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Wakaba has been training her 3A and started training the 4S since she got back on ice. She wants to include the 3A in her free program on Dreams on Ice if it goes well. Sounds like she is keeping her programs from last season, since she hasn't been on ice for a long time, she was planning on getting new programs from SLB and Jeffrey Buttle, but it was not possible due to quarantine.
https://twitter.com/figureskatingm1/status/1302092490682507267?s=20

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Oh Rika Rika Rika.

That straight up looks amazing and I see an inferno in those eyes.

Question: What are the odds she can keep the cartwheel??? I live for the cartwheel!!!! How many points will she get deducted if she keeps it?

Nikolaj Majorov did the same in his choreo sequence at a competition in Sweden this weekend. No deduction and high GOE. The Swedish judges should know. Is it a new trend?

Rika is amazing!