2020-21 South Korean Figure Skating | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2020-21 South Korean Figure Skating

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
About Seoyuon (sp?) Ji: she skated to 3 pieces of music in her free skate last season. I know the first one is Lovely by Billie Eilish. What were the other 2?

She writes her name as Seoyeon, and Shazam tells me that the other two pieces are Sonar by Omaar and Gangsta's Paradise by 2WEI.

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
So the first we're going to see the Korean skaters is the Chinese or Japanese GP?

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
So the first we're going to see the Korean skaters is the Chinese or Japanese GP?

If the GPs do take place as a semi-domestic event, then that's what I'm assuming. Not sure how the invitations would work out though...

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Not sure how Cha gets to compete at Skate Canada, but You has nothing on her hands? Her coaches aren't Korean either, I expected her to get the Japanese GP invite. (Not even getting to how Korea still doesn't get a GP... Would toss the French one into the void at this point)

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Me right now: :bang::palmf::bang::dbana:

First, how the (bleep) is Junhwan supposed to go to Canada? The two-week quarantine means that he has to fly to Toronto literally within the next week, and even if he's allowed in through the border how can he have enough time to get all the paperwork done? It's the holidays here in Korea to boot, it's virtually impossible for him to be there let alone be in competition shape. This is just plain ridiculous.

Second, I'm flabbergasted at the fact that ZERO Korean ladies were invited. The silver medalist at 4CC did not get an invite, how in the world is that supposed to make sense? We have four ladies that would've deserved two spots each (Young, Yelim, Eunsoo, Haein) and there's my beloved Seoyoung (Wi, half-and-half is out so she's coming up) to think of as well. That's not even taking into account skaters like Haneul and Jihun. It's not like I'd want our ladies risking themselves by travelling overseas, but lord this is insulting. ISU continues to disrespect our ladies and I am not okay with it :bang::bang::bang:

readernick

Medalist
Me right now: :bang::palmf::bang::dbana:

First, how the (bleep) is Junhwan supposed to go to Canada? The two-week quarantine means that he has to fly to Toronto literally within the next week, and even if he's allowed in through the border how can he have enough time to get all the paperwork done? It's the holidays here in Korea to boot, it's virtually impossible for him to be there let alone be in competition shape. This is just plain ridiculous.

Second, I'm flabbergasted at the fact that ZERO Korean ladies were invited. The silver medalist at 4CC did not get an invite, how in the world is that supposed to make sense? We have four ladies that would've deserved two spots each (Young, Yelim, Eunsoo, Haein) and there's my beloved Seoyoung (Wi, half-and-half is out so she's coming up) to think of as well. That's not even taking into account skaters like Haneul and Jihun. It's not like I'd want our ladies risking themselves by travelling overseas, but lord this is insulting. ISU continues to disrespect our ladies and I am not okay with it :bang::bang::bang:
Honestly, I am sure the ISU wanted to invite the ladies, but where could they go? And, would they want to lose all the training time while quarantining twice? At least in Jun's case his coach is in Canada so he has a reason to stay long term ( and lack of real competition domestically means his spot at Worlds is essentially guaranteed). The same can't be said for the ladies. I am so sad about not seeing Haein's senior GP debut this year. She is a favorite of mine.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
We have four ladies that would've deserved two spots each (Young, Yelim, Eunsoo, Haein) and there's my beloved Seoyoung (Wi, half-and-half is out so she's coming up) to think of as well.
And for the rest of them I'm not sure how they didn't even get invited to CoC. I hope it gets filled in because it's so scant, but I'm not sure what travel restrictions apply.

surimi

Record Breaker
I am gutted for the Korean ladies and the dance couple. :( I was expecting China to invite them as their own field is so depleted. It can't be difficult to make arrangements for 4-6 skaters and their coaches? Sigh. I mean, think of the broadcasting rights - Chinese pairs and the two top men are cool, but so many would watch CoC for ladies event alone if Koreans were competing...
About JunHwan, I am thinking the ISU didn't assign him blindly to where he cannot go - maybe they talked to KSU and contacted JunHwan prior to this decision?

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
what's the travel situation between China and Korea?
From what I understood the invites depended whether or not skater has a permanent residency in the country, or whether or not they train there (have a coach).

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I am gutted for the Korean ladies and the dance couple. :( ...

Meaning Min/Eaton for dance?
They are listed for Skate America in today's USFS announcement. At the bottom, it says:

2020 SKATE AMERICA INTERNATIONAL ATHLETES

Ladies: Ashley Lin (CHN)
Men: Stephen Gogolev (CAN), Keegan Messing (CAN), Michal Brezina (CZE), Alexei Bychenko (ISR)
Pairs: Evgenia Tarasova and Vladimir Morozov (RUS)
Ice dance: Yura Min and Daniel Eaton (KOR)

Although Min/Eaton are not named on today's ISU chart, which has one TBA for Skate America dance.

The USFS announcement has no TBD for Skate America dance. (It does have one for Skate America pairs.)

(I cannot be sure what the discrepancy means, but maybe the ISU chart is wrong?? Maybe it should show Min/Eaton for Skate America instead of TBA???)

Last edited:

surimi

Record Breaker

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Honestly, I am sure the ISU wanted to invite the ladies, but where could they go? And, would they want to lose all the training time while quarantining twice? At least in Jun's case his coach is in Canada so he has a reason to stay long term ( and lack of real competition domestically means his spot at Worlds is essentially guaranteed). The same can't be said for the ladies. I am so sad about not seeing Haein's senior GP debut this year. She is a favorite of mine.
Young was training in Colorado not long ago, she could've competed in Skate America. I'm looking up Chinese border regulations since Japan closed its borders.

The thing with Junhwan is that although his Worlds spot is technically guaranteed, he still needs to compete for it at Nats to actually have it. KSU doesn't do special selections, it's purely decided by competing at domestic competitions. And we have two, the Ranking Competition and Nats (both are counted for National Team selections so he needs to compete in both), so staying long-term in Canada is unfortunately out.

Haein could've gotten two tickets if this was a normal season, this is so frustrating on so many levels
And for the rest of them I'm not sure how they didn't even get invited to CoC. I hope it gets filled in because it's so scant, but I'm not sure what travel restrictions apply.
I'm looking them up, I think you need to file in your visa and test results before a deadline.
I am gutted for the Korean ladies and the dance couple. :( I was expecting China to invite them as their own field is so depleted. It can't be difficult to make arrangements for 4-6 skaters and their coaches? Sigh. I mean, think of the broadcasting rights - Chinese pairs and the two top men are cool, but so many would watch CoC for ladies event alone if Koreans were competing...
About JunHwan, I am thinking the ISU didn't assign him blindly to where he cannot go - maybe they talked to KSU and contacted JunHwan prior to this decision?
The Chinese Fed hasn't necessarily been inviting towards our ladies, I still remember how Young got her second spot at CoC last season after Chinese fans petitioned for it :dbana: And I doubt that ISU talked with KSU, the whole idea of this "circuit" was hastily put together and they aren't the most thoughtful of decision-makers. Like, why would they care if he has to withdraw, he's only one skater.

Last edited:

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
what's the travel situation between China and Korea?
From what I understood the invites depended whether or not skater has a permanent residency in the country, or whether or not they train there (have a coach).
I looked it up, direct travel to Beijing is banned and you need to get an invitation for sports from a governing body to even be allowed to get a visa...

Skatesocs

Final Flight
I looked it up, direct travel to Beijing is banned and you need to get an invitation for sports from a governing body to even be allowed to get a visa...
Well... 🤞🤞🤞 But I'm guessing CSA didn't really care enough there to invite foreign athletes with those kind of restrictions, nor will they.

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Well... 🤞🤞🤞 But I'm guessing CSA didn't really care enough there to invite foreign athletes with those kind of restrictions, nor will they.
I think so to, there goes the half of the season for our ladies...

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm so sad, I love all the ladies. I want to see them skate and see their beautiful dresses. Will some of the local competitions be broadcast. And South Korea should just add a senior B comp, replace one that's been cancelled.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am so sad, when I saw the assignments I thought that somehow Jun was back in Canada and I was looking forward to seeing him. Now I see he is in an impossible position:cry:

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
I'm so sad, I love all the ladies. I want to see them skate and see their beautiful dresses. Will some of the local competitions be broadcast. And South Korea should just add a senior B comp, replace one that's been cancelled.
I think Nats (at least the final groups) will be broadcast, fans are pressuring KSU to do a youtube stream for the Ranking Competition but you know KSU is nothing if not incompetent and lazy (deep sigh)

The competition that was cancelled was for novices and juniors, but I am adding my voice to the Korean fans demanding a Yuna Kim Cup, to be held without spectators and livestreamed, as our own version of a domestic GP