I need help with skates please! | Golden Skate

I need help with skates please!

spkelly93

Spectator
I competitively skated with I was younger, wasn't a very great skater by any means but Ioved it. I quit when I was 18 going to college. Now I'm 27 and I just got back into skating when my old rink opened back up. I desperately need new skates and I just want to get an idea of what I maybe want before I go to a fitter because I am so lost now looking at all of the options. When I was younger I just got what my coach told me to and now I have no coach yet but I really don't think I can wait to find one before I get new skates! I have landed my axle and want to begin doubles, I only ever landed a double salchow before I quit, I'm hoping to do it again along with maybe a double tow and a double loop is my ultimate goal now. I honestly don't remember the last test I passed I think it was maybe Juvenile.

Currently I have Harlick Competitor Plus skates, that are about 11 years old now including my 9 year break from skating, with an MK professional blade that I think I've had since I was maybe 14 lol. For reference I am 27 years old, 5ft 8in tall, and about 140ls. I am wondering if I should get another pair of Harlick Competitor Plus, although I feel as though I need more support or possibly do a Harlick High Tester, but I am nervous about being over booted. I've never heard much about the Harlick competitor Plus Plus if any of you have any input. I am also interested in Edeas but I do love my Harlicks. Also if I get a new blade should I stick with the MK professional or maybe upgrade to a John Wilson Gold Seal or is that unnecessary for my level?

Thank you so much for any advice/help you can give me!

SmallAminal

On the Ice
Its possible that your foot has changed since you last skated, so you may want to visit a fitter with your old skates and see what they think. I had a coach that had to go up a width in new Harlicks after a 10 year hiatus. I know that people who wear Harlick's are often very loyal to the brand (I wear them, so I get it) but you may be well served by some of the other skates on the market. . If you haven't been shopping for skates in a long time, its probably overwhelming as there have been new entrants, many changes to skate design, etc.

I'm going to guess that you are fine in MK professional if your goal is to get a double loop. It might help to keep with what you are used to as well.

spkelly93

Spectator
Its possible that your foot has changed since you last skated, so you may want to visit a fitter with your old skates and see what they think. I had a coach that had to go up a width in new Harlicks after a 10 year hiatus. I know that people who wear Harlick's are often very loyal to the brand (I wear them, so I get it) but you may be well served by some of the other skates on the market. . If you haven't been shopping for skates in a long time, its probably overwhelming as there have been new entrants, many changes to skate design, etc.

I'm going to guess that you are fine in MK professional if your goal is to get a double loop. It might help to keep with what you are used to as well.
Thank you so much! This was very helpful! And it is very very overwhelming! I do like my Harlicks but sometimes I feel like my right toes are crushed and my left are fine so possibly, and I also think that they are very heavy but since I'm not doing any triples or anything I think I probably don't need anything very light weight.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I competitively skated with I was younger, wasn't a very great skater by any means but Ioved it. I quit when I was 18 going to college. Now I'm 27 and I just got back into skating when my old rink opened back up. I desperately need new skates and I just want to get an idea of what I maybe want before I go to a fitter because I am so lost now looking at all of the options. When I was younger I just got what my coach told me to and now I have no coach yet but I really don't think I can wait to find one before I get new skates! I have landed my axle and want to begin doubles, I only ever landed a double salchow before I quit, I'm hoping to do it again along with maybe a double tow and a double loop is my ultimate goal now. I honestly don't remember the last test I passed I think it was maybe Juvenile.

Currently I have Harlick Competitor Plus skates, that are about 11 years old now including my 9 year break from skating, with an MK professional blade that I think I've had since I was maybe 14 lol. For reference I am 27 years old, 5ft 8in tall, and about 140ls. I am wondering if I should get another pair of Harlick Competitor Plus, although I feel as though I need more support or possibly do a Harlick High Tester, but I am nervous about being over booted. I've never heard much about the Harlick competitor Plus Plus if any of you have any input. I am also interested in Edeas but I do love my Harlicks. Also if I get a new blade should I stick with the MK professional or maybe upgrade to a John Wilson Gold Seal or is that unnecessary for my level?

Thank you so much for any advice/help you can give me
Boots have come a long way since you've last skated. Many new technologies to make them lighter and better. I would look at Harlick if that is your trusty brand, but I would also look at Edea, SP-Teri, and Graf. For Harlick (High Tester), Edea (Chorus), SP-Teri (Super Teri, Pro Teri, Zero Gravity), Graf (Richmond Special).

Your blades should be fine, but it would not hurt you if you wanted to go for the Gold Seals, just be aware that the Gold Seal has an 8ft rocker. You are used to a 7 ft rocker on the MK Pro and would probably feel more comfortable on the MK Gold Star (though different with a bigger top pick and cross-hatched teeth, the Phantom is also a good choice), also be aware that the blades come in Revolution option and also light option depending on the blade and brand.

I hope this helps! Good luck! :giggle:

ETA: I would make sure when getting fitted by a pro, that as SmallAminal mentioned, that they have room for your feet to swell if they do that, and also take into account that your feet might be wider now as you age (it happens).

Last edited:

spkelly93

Spectator
Boots have come a long way since you've last skated. Many new technologies to make them lighter and better. I would look at Harlick if that is your trusty brand, but I would also look at Edea, SP-Teri, and Graf. For Harlick (High Tester), Edea (Chorus), SP-Teri (Super Teri, Pro Teri, Zero Gravity), Graf (Richmond Special).

Your blades should be fine, but it would not hurt you if you wanted to go for the Gold Seals, just be aware that the Gold Seal has an 8ft rocker. You are used to a 7 ft rocker on the MK Pro and would probably feel more comfortable on the MK Gold Star (though different with a bigger top pick and cross-hatched teeth, the Phantom is also a good choice), also be aware that the blades come in Revolution option and also light option depending on the blade and brand.

I hope this helps! Good luck! :giggle:

ETA: I would make sure when getting fitted by a pro, that as SmallAminal mentioned, that they have room for your feet to swell if they do that, and also take into account that your feet might be wider now as you age (it happens).
Thank you so much! This was VERY helpful! I truly appreciate it!

spkelly93

Spectator
Just incase any one who comes across this and is interested in what I ended up with (I had a hard time finding info on what skaters my age, 27, and level, axle and low level doubles, were wearing.) I went to the boot fitter where I live and tried on some Edea Ice Flys and I did not like them at all but I'm really happy I got to try them on because I think I would have been thinking about them since they seem so popular. I decided to stick with Harlick because I do like them. We decided that the Competitor Plus I was in was not enough for me anymore and that the high tester would be a better investment for me. I also asked what he thought about the Harlick Competitor Plus Plus and he said that literately the only difference between the competitor plus vs plus plus is some more glue so not worth it. My old Harlicks are a 7.5 B with the tapered toe box and my new ones are an 8 B with the X-line toe box! We also decided that the carbon soles would be a good option for me, I had the room in my budget and even though I'll never be doing any triples I'll be happy to get any extra edge I can while I still feel confident to learn new jumps! I also decided to upgrade my blades to the JW Gold Seal. My boot fitter thought I would be fine in them and that it would be good to invest now if my budget allows instead of a new pair of MK Professionals and potentially needing to upgrade later. This way I can get used to them now while I'm still re-learning some things as well! I'm very thankful to have found this forum and to be back skating!

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
It's always pleasing when the original poster checks-in with what they purchased.
What nice setup you're going to have. :clap: Congratulations! (I'm a Harlick girl too).

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Just incase any one who comes across this and is interested in what I ended up with (I had a hard time finding info on what skaters my age, 27, and level, axle and low level doubles, were wearing.) I went to the boot fitter where I live and tried on some Edea Ice Flys and I did not like them at all but I'm really happy I got to try them on because I think I would have been thinking about them since they seem so popular. I decided to stick with Harlick because I do like them. We decided that the Competitor Plus I was in was not enough for me anymore and that the high tester would be a better investment for me. I also asked what he thought about the Harlick Competitor Plus Plus and he said that literately the only difference between the competitor plus vs plus plus is some more glue so not worth it. My old Harlicks are a 7.5 B with the tapered toe box and my new ones are an 8 B with the X-line toe box! We also decided that the carbon soles would be a good option for me, I had the room in my budget and even though I'll never be doing any triples I'll be happy to get any extra edge I can while I still feel confident to learn new jumps! I also decided to upgrade my blades to the JW Gold Seal. My boot fitter thought I would be fine in them and that it would be good to invest now if my budget allows instead of a new pair of MK Professionals and potentially needing to upgrade later. This way I can get used to them now while I'm still re-learning some things as well! I'm very thankful to have found this forum and to be back skating!
I'm glad to see my suggestions are what you ended up going with. ;) Happy skating!

spkelly93

Spectator
I'm glad to see my suggestions are what you ended up going with. ;) Happy skating!
Yes! Thank you so much! I feel a lot more confidant about this purchase because of that since I don't have a new coach yet! They're not going to be ready for at least 12 weeks so I am happy I just went ahead and ordered something. I can't wait to get them!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Yes! Thank you so much! I feel a lot more confidant about this purchase because of that since I don't have a new coach yet! They're not going to be ready for at least 12 weeks so I am happy I just went ahead and ordered something. I can't wait to get them!
You'll have to know how it goes when you finally get to skate in them! :)

spkelly93

Spectator
You'll have to know how it goes when you finally get to skate in them! :)
I will!! Thank you again for your help! I am so excited especially for new blades, not necessarily because of the kind I got but just to have new ones in general! When they looked at my blades they said I had one or two more sharpenings at the most left on them :ROFLMAO:! Sadly they said the wait time for Harlick right now because of covid and stuff is 12 weeks :frown: but I understand and I don't have a time limit or anything!