Replacement screws for Edea boots? | Golden Skate

Replacement screws for Edea boots?

Snorlax

Rinkside
Country
United-Kingdom
Hi everyone!

I'm not quite back for iceskating yet since our home rink is still closed, but I'd like to prep for when I can skate again.

I have pretty new Edea Chorus boots and noticed that one of the screws broke in two, with the shaft of the screw still stuck in the heel of the boot. Not sure how to get this out, but I was also wondering on how to replace it.

In addition, I also noticed that not all the pre-drilled holes on the boots of my Edeas are actually filled with screws. My coach said that this is fine?

Photos for further reference:

One way or another, I'd like to get some replacement screws and make sure that the stuck screw is at least balanced out by a new screw even if I can't get the stuck one out.

I'm not sure where to find replacement screws though - Edea doesn't seem to sell them directly? I'm based in the UK, any tips/links for vendors that ship to our island would be nice.

Can I use other screws as long as I find some with the exact same speccs? If so, what ARE the speccs? 😅 😵

And - is it actually a thing to try and put the screws in myself or should I find a professional for this?

Any ideas/tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sendings hugs,

Snorlax

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi everyone!

I'm not quite back for iceskating yet since our home rink is still closed, but I'd like to prep for when I can skate again.

I have pretty new Edea Chorus boots and noticed that one of the screws broke in two, with the shaft of the screw still stuck in the heel of the boot. Not sure how to get this out, but I was also wondering on how to replace it.

In addition, I also noticed that not all the pre-drilled holes on the boots of my Edeas are actually filled with screws. My coach said that this is fine?

Photos for further reference:

One way or another, I'd like to get some replacement screws and make sure that the stuck screw is at least balanced out by a new screw even if I can't get the stuck one out.

I'm not sure where to find replacement screws though - Edea doesn't seem to sell them directly? I'm based in the UK, any tips/links for vendors that ship to our island would be nice.

Can I use other screws as long as I find some with the exact same speccs? If so, what ARE the speccs? 😅 😵

And - is it actually a thing to try and put the screws in myself or should I find a professional for this?

Any ideas/tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sendings hugs,

Snorlax
Go to your skate pro to get the screws replaced. And your coach is correct, all screws are not put in and made permanent until it is assured that your blade is in the correct mounting. Once that is know it will become a permanent mount to your current temp mount.

Snorlax

Rinkside
Country
United-Kingdom
Hi Rabbit and thanks as always for your wisdom!

Do you have any idea what to do if there's no pro available? My homerink is still closed and the other rinks are quite far away and I'm not even sure if they offer boot-repair services at all, they're mostly hockeyrinks/recreational :/

Also, good to know on the temp mount. Nobody ever asked me to go back and confirm the blade is mounted okay (to be fair, it seems ok to me but I'm not exactly a mount-expert and can't say I've developed an "expert gut feeling" about it :D)

I just hope my rink reopens at some point so I can get this fixed. In the meantime, I might be skating once or twice in these other rinks, do you think it's safe with the broken screw?

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
OP: A more important issue is why that screw head snapped off. With plated plain-carbon steel screws, that sometimes happens because they get rusty. But Edea screws are made of stainless steel, and rust should not be an issue. So here are various possibilities:

(1) The screw was defective. The question then becomes whether that is an isolated case, or whether other screws on your skates are defective.

(2) The screw was damaged during installation. The question then becomes whether that is an isolated case, or whether other screws on your skates are damaged.

(3) More than one screw has loosened. The blade is not tight. The screw was stressed during skating, and snapped. You should check right away whether the other screws on your skates are snug.

(4) If it were me, I wouldn't skate on them, until I check all this out.

Last edited:

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Go to your skate pro to get the screws replaced. And your coach is correct, all screws are not put in and made permanent until it is assured that your blade is in the correct mounting. Once that is know it will become a permanent mount to your current temp mount.
To add on to this many people never populate all the screw holes. I'm not fully sure why (of course often they add extra screws as neccessary if the other screws are damaged).

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
To add on to this many people never populate all the screw holes. I'm not fully sure why (of course often they add extra screws as neccessary if the other screws are damaged).
One of the main reasons is that, since the full complement of screws is not needed (in most instances; sometimes they are), then, if you need to move the blade, or mount a new blade, you have unused regions on the sole and heel (to drill fresh holes and install fresh screws). If you use all the screws, and then need to move the blade, or mount a new blade, you'll likely need to permanently plug all the old holes first. Many skate techs don't care to do this, because it's very time consuming. If you're really lucky, you can reuse some of the old holes; but I never count on being really lucky.

Last edited:

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
OP:

* If you've not done this sort of thing before, by all means go to an experienced pro.*

In response to some of your other questions (in case you can't reach an experienced pro in these pandemic times, and get desperate enough to tackle the job yourself):

(1) Edea uses non-standard screws, described here: https://ice.edeaskates.com/en/ice-skates/100-screws-for-blade-assembly/ . For filling old holes, they also use custom filler plugs, described here: https://ice.edeaskates.com/en/ice-skates/carbon-filler/ . In the US, they are available from the US Edea distributor: https://skatesus.com/category/ice/ice-accessories/ice-tools/ [there are two sets of screws listed; you of course want the ice boot mounting set], as well as Amazon US (but I couldn't find any listings on Amazon UK). On the Edea website, the UK distributor is listed as:

New English Skates Ltd.
23 Fitzwilliam St., Rushden, Northamptonshire
NN10 9YW, UK 0
email: [email protected]
phone: +44 1933 314194

So you should get in touch with them.

(2) Your photo shows an unused mounting hole on the heel plate (upper left as viewed in the photo). Assuming the other screws are not damaged (needs to be verified), you can install a new screw there, and leave the broken screw in place. You can install a new screw without removing the blade, if you use a drill bit extender (shown on the US Edea distributor page cited above). Otherwise, you need to remove the blade first in order to drill the new hole. If you remove the blade, you need to be careful not to strip any holes.

(3) If you really need to remove the old screw, you need to remove the blade completely. Most likely, the screw snapped such that there is a small nub protruding above the surface of the heel. If so, you can grab the nub with a pair of mini locking pliers (mini vise grips in the US) and carefully unscrew the remaining portion of the screw. If there's no protruding nub, the extraction gets messier (I won't go into it here).

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi Rabbit and thanks as always for your wisdom!

Do you have any idea what to do if there's no pro available? My homerink is still closed and the other rinks are quite far away and I'm not even sure if they offer boot-repair services at all, they're mostly hockeyrinks/recreational :/

Also, good to know on the temp mount. Nobody ever asked me to go back and confirm the blade is mounted okay (to be fair, it seems ok to me but I'm not exactly a mount-expert and can't say I've developed an "expert gut feeling" about it :D)

I just hope my rink reopens at some point so I can get this fixed. In the meantime, I might be skating once or twice in these other rinks, do you think it's safe with the broken screw?
Yes, after you skate on the temp mount for awhile, the tech will usually watch you skate on them and make sure it's a good mount before making them permanent (whether that means plugging all the holes, or just sealing the screws in).

I would really wait until you can get to a pro tech for this. I would not attempt it on your own.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
OP: I just noticed that you have a full set of photos (I just saw the one with the broken screw earlier). You don't have a temp mount. You have enough screws in place to qualify for a permanent mount already. In the sole plate, two of the mounting holes are elongated slots, and the rest are circular (round) holes; similarly in the heel plate, there are two elongated slots and two circular holes. In a typical temp mount, the tech installs screws in the two elongated slots in the sole plate and in the two elongated slots in the heel plate only. This allows for minor adjustment of the blade, which in some cases is sufficient. In other cases, more movement is needed, the old holes need to be plugged, and a new temp mount is installed. Once you are happy, the tech then installs screws in some of the round holes. Your tech didn't do that; in particular, he didn't use one of the elongated slots in the sole plate at all, and left only one free round hole in the sole plate and only one free round hole in the heel plate.

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
OP: I just noticed that you have a full set of photos (I just saw the one with the broken screw earlier). You don't have a temp mount. You have enough screws in place to qualify for a permanent mount already. In the sole plate, two of the mounting holes are elongated slots, and the rest are circular holes; similarly in the heel plate, there are two elongated slots and two circular holes. In a typical temp mount, the tech installs screws in the two elongated slots in the sole plate and in the two elongated slots in the heel plate only. This allows for minor adjustment of the blade, which in some cases is sufficient. In other cases, more movement is needed, the old holes need to be plugged, and a new temp mount is installed. Once you are happy, the tech then installs screws in some of the round holes. Your tech didn't do that; in particular, he didn't use one of the elongated slots in the sole plate at all, and left only one free round hole in the sole plate and only one free round hole in the heel plate.
I just noticed the pics now that you mentioned them and agree.

Snorlax

Rinkside
Country
United-Kingdom
Okay, that was a lot to read/take in, thanks all, it's been very insightful! :pray:

I got a lucky offer/opportunity to skate at another rink on Saturday and the skate "pro" over there agreed to take a look before the session. I hope this person knows what they are doing - I've heard that most of the more advanced skaters in my area go to this shop and get their skates fitted/repaired so hopefully this one's better.

Regarding my Edeas - I got them like this, out of the box, just before lockdown started. I ordered them from the rink's skate shop, picked them up, they looked fine to me so I tried and skated on them for maybe 2-3 sessions, then noticed the screw had broken off. I couldn't get a hold of the actual staff from my home rink before the rink closed, so I was kinda left in a limbo of not knowing anything. I have no idea if the boots were put together like this by staff from the rink or by the manufacturer. I would've asked at the rink but yeah it was all unfortunate timing.

I'll keep you guys posted. At least I now know what the different holes mean (^^), and so far the blade position feels fine, hopefully I can leave it like this and just need the screws checked :)

Thanks again!

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Okay, that was a lot to read/take in, thanks all, it's been very insightful! :pray:

I got a lucky offer/opportunity to skate at another rink on Saturday and the skate "pro" over there agreed to take a look before the session. I hope this person knows what they are doing - I've heard that most of the more advanced skaters in my area go to this shop and get their skates fitted/repaired so hopefully this one's better.

Regarding my Edeas - I got them like this, out of the box, just before lockdown started. I ordered them from the rink's skate shop, picked them up, they looked fine to me so I tried and skated on them for maybe 2-3 sessions, then noticed the screw had broken off. I couldn't get a hold of the actual staff from my home rink before the rink closed, so I was kinda left in a limbo of not knowing anything. I have no idea if the boots were put together like this by staff from the rink or by the manufacturer. I would've asked at the rink but yeah it was all unfortunate timing.

I'll keep you guys posted. At least I now know what the different holes mean (^^), and so far the blade position feels fine, hopefully I can leave it like this and just need the screws checked :)

Thanks again!
What blades do you have? Did you select the boots and blades separately, or did the shop offer some pre-packaged kit?

Snorlax

Rinkside
Country
United-Kingdom
What blades do you have? Did you select the boots and blades separately, or did the shop offer some pre-packaged kit?
I have Coronation Ace blades, it was selected separately (at least I was picking a boot from one catalogue and a blade from another :D)

I think the shop may have put both together to allow me to skate straight away. But that's just a guess.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I have Coronation Ace blades, it was selected separately (at least I was picking a boot from one catalogue and a blade from another :D)

I think the shop may have put both together to allow me to skate straight away. But that's just a guess.
Yes, the shop will have put them together for you. Ideally, they should be the ones to repair them but the current situation isn't exactly ideal! Hopefully the pro shop you're taking them to on Saturday will check that things are okay, and then just be able to put another screw in for you to properly secure that heel.

Snorlax

Rinkside
Country
United-Kingdom
Just a small and sad update: The planned session was cancelled and shortly after there was another travel restriction put in place so now I can't go skating even if I wanted to. Ah well. The boots gotta wait for a bit longer!

:(

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Just a small and sad update: The planned session was cancelled and shortly after there was another travel restriction put in place so now I can't go skating even if I wanted to. Ah well. The boots gotta wait for a bit longer!

:(
I am sorry to hear that, it will be that much sweeter when you can finally get your skates and go!:)