Polina Kostiukovich & Dmitrii Ialin | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Polina Kostiukovich & Dmitrii Ialin

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
I agree that he should definitely look for a partner who is almost through with puberty. Ialin is 22, and does not have much time to waste in his sports career. Yes there are the cases of Szolkowy and Han, however we must remember that these are exceptions. Their partners are not ordinary girls, and their cases are not those of ordinary pairs. From my point of view, Dima in the later half of the season struggled with Polina's growing height and curves, not her weight. I say this because his lifts and height in throws was perfectly stable, however he seemed very stressed and hunched over in the takeoff of the throws and twists.

You're right in that there are many Russian ladies who might consider pairs. Unlike Kostiukovich/Briukhanov, Ialin and his new partner probably won't push for Beijing, unless it is postponed to 2023. Looking through the list at nationals though, I can't seem to find a single girl over 15 who is less than 155cm. Sinitsyna maybe, but she will still grow. He will probably have to look either outside of Russia, into the depths of Russia who didn't qualify to nationals, or take another risk with another young girl.

He already put up with the mighty Kostiukovich, so might he consider trying to get the compliant and daring Kostornaia to switch to pairs? :cheer::clap:

hanca

Record Breaker
I agree that he should definitely look for a partner who is almost through with puberty. Ialin is 22, and does not have much time to waste in his sports career. Yes there are the cases of Szolkowy and Han, however we must remember that these are exceptions. Their partners are not ordinary girls, and their cases are not those of ordinary pairs. From my point of view, Dima in the later half of the season struggled with Polina's growing height and curves, not her weight. I say this because his lifts and height in throws was perfectly stable, however he seemed very stressed and hunched over in the takeoff of the throws and twists.

You're right in that there are many Russian ladies who might consider pairs. Unlike Kostiukovich/Briukhanov, Ialin and his new partner probably won't push for Beijing, unless it is postponed to 2023. Looking through the list at nationals though, I can't seem to find a single girl over 15 who is less than 155cm. Sinitsyna maybe, but she will still grow. He will probably have to look either outside of Russia, into the depths of Russia who didn't qualify to nationals, or take another risk with another young girl.

He already put up with the mighty Kostiukovich, so might he consider trying to get the compliant and daring Kostornaia to switch to pairs? :cheer::clap:
I love your optimism, but Kostiukovich/Briukhanov have no chance getting into the team going to Being, no matter if it is in 2022 or 2023. They skate for Russia; that means that they need not only to be a decent pair, but they will also need to be in top three in their country and I can’t see them managing to get into top three seniors within this short time. Boikova/Kozlovski, Tarasova/Morozov, Mishina/Galliamov, Pavliuschenko/Khodykin...those pairs will not miraculously disappear so that Kostiukovich can get to the Olympics.

Re: small enough girl for Ialin, the girl doesn’t necessarily be one of those who competed at the nationals. If all girls competing at the nationals have all triples and triple-triple combinations, the chance is that even those who didn’t make the cut have them. If I was Ialin, I would not limit myself to the 18 girls who were lucky that they made the cut for the nationals. I would watch all five Russian cup events, look at the overall qualifying order of ladies and look also at those who placed let’s say 19-30 place in the overall results. Those girls will still have the jumps, but due to the numbers of Russian ladies, they are not having a chance to get through, especially because some junior ladies are occupying some senior spots at the nationals and that pushes the older girls (let’s say aged 18-21) down the ranking.

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
I love your optimism, but Kostiukovich/Briukhanov have no chance getting into the team going to Being, no matter if it is in 2022 or 2023. They skate for Russia; that means that they need not only to be a decent pair, but they will also need to be in top three in their country and I can’t see them managing to get into top three seniors within this short time. Boikova/Kozlovski, Tarasova/Morozov, Mishina/Galliamov, Pavliuschenko/Khodykin...those pairs will not miraculously disappear so that Kostiukovich can get to the Olympics.

Re: small enough girl for Ialin, the girl doesn’t necessarily be one of those who competed at the nationals. If all girls competing at the nationals have all triples and triple-triple combinations, the chance is that even those who didn’t make the cut have them. If I was Ialin, I would not limit myself to the 18 girls who were lucky that they made the cut for the nationals. I would watch all five Russian cup events, look at the overall qualifying order of ladies and look also at those who placed let’s say 19-30 place in the overall results. Those girls will still have the jumps, but due to the numbers of Russian ladies, they are not having a chance to get through, especially because some junior ladies are occupying some senior spots at the nationals and that pushes the older girls (let’s say aged 18-21) down the ranking.
Thats exactly what I meant when I said into the depths of Russian skating! :) The depth in Russia is so great that there is such competition just to get to the Russian cup. Any girl who can make it to that level of skating has devoted their life to this sport, and is serious about training but is also realistic enough to know that they will probably not make it to a higher level, especially if they are post-puberty. Not even Russian cup - the qualifying competitions to Russian cup, like where he found Ponosova. There should be a suitable girl under 150 cm for him somewhere out there. The opportunity to skate with a junior world medalist doesn't come often, and these girls have probably taken some quite hard falls that the horrors of pair skating may not seem so daunting to all. He appeared in the back of some training videos lately, so I assume he is still training and possibly having tryouts. I hope they go well, because as we know, there won't be a queue of high level ladies (especially those experienced in pairs) lining up to skate with him. His strength in lifts and pair elements and stability in jumps is remarkable, but it is also remarkable that he wasn't turned away from pairs school at first sight. I'm glad he wasn't though, as he and Polina were able to achieve great things. Rylov and Mironov aren't much taller either, so maybe pair boys under 180cm will become more common. (Though I am also being very cautious about Panfilova/Rylov going forwards) Still, it would be great if he had an extra 10 cm on him because he is quite a lovely skater. Genetics, though of course it is not impossible. Holding out hope that Sui or Savchenko will fall into his arms like Polina did.

Regarding Polina and Alexei's chances for Beijing: I agree that they are absolute outsiders and wouldn't stand a chance if the team were selected right now. However, looking at things in the long run, there is a very very slight chance.

Nastia Mishina was in an extremely similar position to Polina a few years ago. Two great seasons followed by puberty, outgrowing partner, and finding a new one. In their first season, they were third at junior worlds. Of course that is nothing close to the Olympics. However, they were also 7th at senior nationals. That isn't too far off the Olympic contending teams. Of course it is extremely lucky that she found a partner as perfect as Galliamov that he didn't split with her after one season like his previous partners. But if Polina can find the same success with Briukhanov, they can be in the top 6 at senior nationals no doubt. Not saying they will make the team, but they can be around the conversation.

Boikova/Kozlovski -
Mishina/Galliamov - I have a good feeling about them
Pavliuchenko/Khodykin - they might get lost in the depth
Tarasova/Morozov - I'm not sure how much longer they will stay at the top
Pepeleva/Pleshkov
Panfilova/Rylov - their lack of height difference and instability in lifts and jumps scares me
Akhanteva/Kolesov - I had hope due to their small age difference but it seems that Ksenia is getting taller and Valeri is not
Artemeva/Nazarychev - Talented but Iulia is so little
Mukhametzyanova/Mironov - Don't think they will be ready, same as A/N
Efimova/Unknown - Not too sure about them....
Belova/Chigieriev - I think they could be a dark horse.

Like Mishina/Galliamov and Pavliuchenko/Khodykin, they will probably spend that year competing in seniors part time and have their world stage moment later during the push for Milan.

Old interview with Polya and Dima. I try not to compare them to Mishina/Mirzoev too often but I just can't help it, as they are so eerily similar. That's a good things for Polina/Nastia and not such a good thing fir Ialin/Mirzoev https://rsport.ria.ru/20190815/1557543547.html

From the other things said in that interview, i dont suspect that Polina ever expected to be in the same position as Nastia.

Interviewer: Mishina survived the breakup of a couple who took silver at the 2016 junior world championships.
Ialin: Nastia is a fighter, she will endure everything.
Interviewer: Will Polina endure everything?
Polina: silently nods in approval.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Well, I may be completely out of line here, but did the Velikovs ever manage to have a pair competing many years under them successfully?

hanca

Record Breaker
Thats exactly what I meant when I said into the depths of Russian skating! :) The depth in Russia is so great that there is such competition just to get to the Russian cup. Any girl who can make it to that level of skating has devoted their life to this sport, and is serious about training but is also realistic enough to know that they will probably not make it to a higher level, especially if they are post-puberty. Not even Russian cup - the qualifying competitions to Russian cup, like where he found Ponosova. There should be a suitable girl under 150 cm for him somewhere out there. The opportunity to skate with a junior world medalist doesn't come often, and these girls have probably taken some quite hard falls that the horrors of pair skating may not seem so daunting to all. He appeared in the back of some training videos lately, so I assume he is still training and possibly having tryouts. I hope they go well, because as we know, there won't be a queue of high level ladies (especially those experienced in pairs) lining up to skate with him. His strength in lifts and pair elements and stability in jumps is remarkable, but it is also remarkable that he wasn't turned away from pairs school at first sight. I'm glad he wasn't though, as he and Polina were able to achieve great things. Rylov and Mironov aren't much taller either, so maybe pair boys under 180cm will become more common. (Though I am also being very cautious about Panfilova/Rylov going forwards) Still, it would be great if he had an extra 10 cm on him because he is quite a lovely skater. Genetics, though of course it is not impossible. Holding out hope that Sui or Savchenko will fall into his arms like Polina did.

Regarding Polina and Alexei's chances for Beijing: I agree that they are absolute outsiders and wouldn't stand a chance if the team were selected right now. However, looking at things in the long run, there is a very very slight chance.

Nastia Mishina was in an extremely similar position to Polina a few years ago. Two great seasons followed by puberty, outgrowing partner, and finding a new one. In their first season, they were third at junior worlds. Of course that is nothing close to the Olympics. However, they were also 7th at senior nationals. That isn't too far off the Olympic contending teams. Of course it is extremely lucky that she found a partner as perfect as Galliamov that he didn't split with her after one season like his previous partners. But if Polina can find the same success with Briukhanov, they can be in the top 6 at senior nationals no doubt. Not saying they will make the team, but they can be around the conversation.

Boikova/Kozlovski -
Mishina/Galliamov - I have a good feeling about them
Pavliuchenko/Khodykin - they might get lost in the depth
Tarasova/Morozov - I'm not sure how much longer they will stay at the top
Pepeleva/Pleshkov
Panfilova/Rylov - their lack of height difference and instability in lifts and jumps scares me
Akhanteva/Kolesov - I had hope due to their small age difference but it seems that Ksenia is getting taller and Valeri is not
Artemeva/Nazarychev - Talented but Iulia is so little
Mukhametzyanova/Mironov - Don't think they will be ready, same as A/N
Efimova/Unknown - Not too sure about them....
Belova/Chigieriev - I think they could be a dark horse.

Like Mishina/Galliamov and Pavliuchenko/Khodykin, they will probably spend that year competing in seniors part time and have their world stage moment later during the push for Milan.

Old interview with Polya and Dima. I try not to compare them to Mishina/Mirzoev too often but I just can't help it, as they are so eerily similar. That's a good things for Polina/Nastia and not such a good thing fir Ialin/Mirzoev https://rsport.ria.ru/20190815/1557543547.html

From the other things said in that interview, i dont suspect that Polina ever expected to be in the same position as Nastia.

Interviewer: Mishina survived the breakup of a couple who took silver at the 2016 junior world championships.
Ialin: Nastia is a fighter, she will endure everything.
Interviewer: Will Polina endure everything?
Polina: silently nods in approval.
You are saying that there is a slight chance for the Olympics, but as I see it, there is no chance at all. The Olympics are in 16 months. Even if Kostiukovich/Briukhanov were the best junior pair this season, the next season they have no chance to be in top three in seniors. It would be their first senior season. Their results would be perhaps decent, like a medal or fourth place at the GP events, but they would not be beating established senior pairs.

What also goes against them is that in the season 2021-2022 there is quite a few current junior pairs who will be aging out of juniors. akhanteva/Kolesov, Artemeva/Nazarytchev, Mukhametzianova/Mironov, Mukhortova/Evgeniev, Khabibulina/Kniazhuk and Safina/Bakhmat, they all are ageing out at the same time as Kostiukovich/Briukhanov - after the season 2021-22. So they all will be fighting for GP spots, and for place at the senior nationals... trust me, as much as I like Kostiukovich, the chance of her getting to Being team is zero. Saying that, I could see her at the following Olympics . One never knows which team will make it.

gordana

On the Ice
Country
Russia
Well, I may be completely out of line here, but did the Velikovs ever manage to have a pair competing many years under them successfully?
Maria Petrova and Alexey Tikhonov, but it was so long ago... Maybe someone else, approximately at that time. Usually the Velikovs' students switch to more politicking influential coaches after being juniors.

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
Maria Petrova and Alexey Tikhonov, but it was so long ago... Maybe someone else, approximately at that time. Usually the Velikovs' students switch to more politicking influential coaches after being juniors.
I haven't been following pairs for a long time, so I assume the Velikovs are like the Panova of pairs?

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
From the top of my head, though, I remember how much Stolbova/Klimov evolved after they left, and how much Mishina/Galliamov evolved in such a short time under Moskvina. Maybe their track record in this transition period is not so good?

icetug

Medalist
Dima is on the entry list for the Panin-Kolomienkin Memorial (Oct. 13-16) in pair with Stanislava Vislobokova. I'm pretty curious what they managed to prepare in that short time since they were paired. Good luck to them!

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
Vislobokova/Ialin are the only senior pair left in the Panin memorial. https://mobile.twitter.com/quadflooptz there are a few little clips here.

The video glitched but it seems they already have a triple twist, decent lift and death spiral, and triple throw. However, her 2A still looks shaky. I don't know how far this team can go, especially with the small height difference. But considering that they have been together less than 2 months, this is extremely impressive. Further makes me wish that Ialin, such a strong skater, would grow another 10cm and have way more options for partners.

They will not be able to qualify to Russian nationals this year, however Ialin is technically still a member of the national team and could get some things out of that, like maybe a trip to Russian Cup Final. Good to see that he found a suitable partner and is making good progress, even if they are quite a bit behind the other teams.

If anyone is interested, Polina and Alexei were AMAZING at CoR stage 2:
sp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnfqW03piTg&t=251s&pbjreload=101 (reminds me so much of Survivor and Smoke on the Water)
fp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNvQoayEKcc&t=252s (something about a bird, reminds of Xotica)

Even though I will be honest in saying that I think K/B has more potential than K/I, I will always miss Polina and Dmitri together. They had something so special, and were so unforgivably themselves, different from the rest. Though she's probably too tall for him by now anyways.

A little bit of nostalgia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95Ozmx88u6o

Spectator
I wish Ialin well and enjoyed watching him an Polina together, but that was a very promising debut for Kostiukovich/Briukhanov. She's a damn firecracker on skates.

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
And they won again today. Kostiukovich/Briukhanov. When I was watching Alexei do that lift I started to miss the little pop that Ialin did into it with Polina. But dare I say, Polina is the best pair girl Russia has right now. She's such a star. Firecracker is the perfect word.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker

that's some scary helicopter lift

Last edited:

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
Just wondering if anyone happens to have a video of their free from Russian Cup Final 2020? I heard it was good so I wanted to see it. One of the most beautiful programs of the last season. Dare I say it, had they made it to junior worlds and skated clean, it would've beaten Panfilova/Rylov

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
Both Kostiukovich/Briukhanov and Vislobokova/Ialin are entered in the St. Petersburg championship for this week. Polina/Alexei skated in juniors yesterday, and Stanislava/Dmitri will skate in seniors coming up after the junior event. Nobody has created a thread for Vislobokova/Ialin yet.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hi all!

I sent a PM out a few days ago regarding the Video Project. If you are interested in doing this team (or anyone else), shoot me a PM! :)

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
It seems like Dmitri is back on icepartnersearch, after a short lived stint with Stanislava Vislobokova. Not a huge surprise, everything considered. I still think he is an amazing skater with amazing quality, and better jumps, spins, and artistry than most. Things haven't gone so well since the split with Polina but hoping the perfect little girl will fall into his hands soon.

On the other hand, things have been going well for Kostiukovich/Briukhanov. They will finish their season at the Russian Cup Final in a few weeks.

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
Stanislava Vislobokova teamed up with Sergei Bezborodko, it seems. Many teams have left the Velikovs, including K/B and Akhanteva/Kolesov. Ialin is still on icepartnersearch, unfortunately it seems there has been no luck so far.