2021 Toyota U.S. Figure Skating Championships: General Info

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
2021 Toyota U.S. Figure Skating Championships
Las Vegas, Nevada
Jan. 11- 19, 2021

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado (Nov. 9, 2020) - The 2021 Toyota U.S. Figure Skating Championships, originally scheduled to take place in San Jose, California, Jan. 11–17, 2021, will relocate to Las Vegas and the Orleans Arena Jan. 11–21, U.S. Figure Skating announced on Monday. U.S. Figure Skating also selected San Jose and SAP Center as host of the 2023 U.S. Figure Skating Championships. Both of these decisions were made unanimously by the U.S. Figure Skating Board of Directors at its Nov. 7 meeting.

“This has been a season unlike any other, and we’re appreciative of our local organizers and the skating community in San Jose for their willingness to be flexible during these challenging times,” U.S. Figure Skating President Anne Cammett said. “We are also confident that the proven bubble concept we will implement at the Orleans Arena will ensure the 2021 Toyota U.S. Figure Skating Championships are a successful event for all competitors, coaches and officials.”

U.S. Figure Skating successfully staged 2020 Guaranteed Rate Skate America in a bubble-type environment at the Orleans Arena in Las Vegas in October. For January’s U.S. Championships in Las Vegas, U.S. Figure Skating will be able to use Skate America’s operational plan, which had been approved by the Nevada Gaming Control Board, streamlining both the preparation and on-site execution of the competition. Championship-level competition will take place from Jan. 11–17, 2021, and junior-level competition from Jan. 19–21, 2021. As with Skate America, no spectators will be permitted, though fans will be able to watch extensive coverage on NBC, NBCSN and Peacock Premium.

“SAP Center at San Jose was prepared to safely and successfully host the U.S. Figure Skating Championships in January 2021,” added Jonathan Becher, president of Sharks Sports & Entertainment and SAP Center at San Jose. “While we are disappointed to wait, we are excited to host the Championship in 2023 and showcase the City of San Jose and SAP Center to a national audience."

“While certainly disappointed, we understand the difficult but necessary decision made by U.S. Figure Skating to move the U.S. Figure Skating Championships in San Jose to 2023,” said John Poch, executive director of the San Jose Sports Authority. “As always, the care and safety of the athletes, staff and fans is our top priority. I would like to thank the San Jose Local Organizing Committee for the tremendous amount of work that they’ve already put in to make the 2021 event a success and look forward to working with them over the next two years to ensure that the 2023 Toyota U.S. Figure Skating Championships in San Jose will be a safe, successful and memorable event for everybody involved.”

San Jose will play host to the country’s most prestigious figure skating competition for the fourth time in 2023 (1996, 2012, 2018).

For fans who had planned on attending the 2021 Toyota U.S. Figure Skating Championships in San Jose, refunds will be issued to all existing ticket holders. Refunds are only issued to the original form of payment; those who did not pay via credit card or debit card will be sent a check to the address on file. Please note that customers should expect to receive their refund in as soon as 30 days. If a customer’s credit card or debit card number has changed, or expired, they should contact SAP Center at [email protected] and a member of its team will be in touch.

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
(I asked Brent to check and see if the SAP center would just keep our money and give us the same seats but I think that's a 100 to one shot.....Oh well. At least we get to go back to San Jose in two years.)

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Completely expected, but I do feel sorry for fans who were planning to go to San Jose this year. I am glad that the bubble appeared to work for safety reasons at SA enough for USFS to use Vegas again.

I wonder if they kept the cardboard fans? and most importantly, the gecko?:D

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Completely expected, but I do feel sorry for fans who were planning to go to San Jose this year. I am glad that the bubble appeared to work for safety reasons at SA enough for USFS to use Vegas again.

I wonder if they kept the cardboard fans? and most importantly, the gecko?:D
I bet they give me another chance at getting a cardboard cutout! I should get my refund in about 30 days. Love San Jose but so many other questions remain in flux. Will the pandemic be quieted down enough by Nashville to allow fans there? The 50 percent of the US citizens that want the shots will have them by June 21st, best guess....If the Winter Olys happen, with or without fans, who will stay for San Jose 2023 in two years? Who will pack it in? We should have a pool and see who wins as to guessing who stays and who goes. IF, on the other hand, the Winter Olys has to be put off a year, all bets are off. OK, should I use my passport photo for my cardboard cutout or a bike pic?passport.jpg

BF 6.jpg

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^
Passport photo?

@CoyoteChris are you sure that's not a mug shot? :laugh:

I hope they decide to go with the cardboard cutouts. I didn't think they looked any stranger than empty seats would have, and my understanding is they raised a fair amount to support developing skaters.

Maybe you can pay a little extra and get the bike in the cutout, too. Which would be awesome!

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
^^^
Passport photo?

I hope they decide to go with the cardboard cutouts. I didn't think they looked any stranger than empty seats would have, and my understanding is they raised a fair amount to support developing skaters.

Maybe you can pay a little extra and get the bike in the cutout, too. Which would be awesome!
He'd need three seats to include the bike!

Use the bike shot! By the time it's cropped down to spectator size and shape, no one will know a bike is involved, but it's a much better shot. Since they stopped allowing you to smile for your passport and drivers license photos, they ALL look like mug shots. My PP photo has the advantage of looking like I just got off a 20-hour flight with no sleep, so is a good match for how I look when traveling.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Use the bike shot! By the time it's cropped down to spectator size and shape, no one will know a bike is involved, but it's a much better shot. Since they stopped allowing you to smile for your passport and drivers license photos, they ALL look like mug shots. My PP photo has the advantage of looking like I just got off a 20-hour flight with no sleep, so is a good match for how I look when traveling.
Just so everyone knows, I'm laughing WITH you and WITH @CoyoteChris ... not AT either of you.

My wife says that my passport photo looks like I should be on a sex offender registry. :rofl:

As evidence of my goodwill, I offer you gifts: a dolphin, a Christmas tree, a chicken leg, and a hut. Inserting random emoji is my new thing.

🐬🎄🍗🛖

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
^^^
Passport photo?

OK, how about "Sailing to Hawaii" vs "Dog"a sailing to Hawaii.jpg

a bijou.jpg

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker

OK, I GOT this! How about me and Ting holding the puppy?
a ting and me.jpg
a puppy.jpg

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
On the subject of whether there will be fans in 2021, I certainly hope so (and if the Covid vaccine is available as soon as they believe it will be I see no reason why there wouldn’t be). That’s the only shot I will have to go to Nationals in 3 years.
I’d go for the bike pic.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
On the subject of whether there will be fans in 2021, I certainly hope so (and if the Covid vaccine is available as soon as they believe it will be I see no reason why there wouldn’t be). That’s the only shot I will have to go to Nationals in 3 years.
I’d go for the bike pic.
I assume you meant 2022 Nashville? That depends on many unknowns. Will the US sign on to the Covax agreement and ship most of our vaccinees to other countries? How many in the US will take the vaccines? Will there be an outbreak of another strain, like the flu, next year? Dr. F says we could return to a new normal by next Fall.....we shall see I guess. I hope he is right.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I assume you meant 2022 Nashville? That depends on many unknowns. Will the US sign on to the Covax agreement and ship most of our vaccinees to other countries? How many in the US will take the vaccines? Will there be an outbreak of another strain, like the flu, next year? Dr. F says we could return to a new normal by next Fall.....we shall see I guess. I hope he is right.
Yes, I do mean 2022 Nationals. I hope he is right also. I even hold out hope for Philly International 2021.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Oh boy oh boy....I think this event is really gonna happen before the next crisis. Something to look forward to.