2020-21 Japanese Men, Pairs And Ice Dance | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Japanese Men, Pairs And Ice Dance

readernick

Medalist
To be fair, comparing anyone to Yuzuru, especially two teenagers, is a tad unfair (though it occurs to me that Yuma is just that bit older than Yuzu was at Nice 2012, without the personality but also without the health drawbacks, so maybe by Beijing, especially if it's delayed...)

But you can't blame the federation - any federation - for hoping and trying to create another superstar. I don't think either boy will be the next Yuzuru or Daisuke Takahashi - they've got the technical coming along nicely, but no one can manufacture that level of charisma and audience magnetism- but I can see Yuma as the next star especially as he is the federation favourite and that will give him confidence. Shun may have to fight harder for his place in the sun.
I don't think magnetism /charisma is always natural. It is often learned. Shoma was always a dynamic performer, but Yuzuru used to have almost zero charisma on the ice. He only changed when success brought him the confidence to display all his incredible gifts.

Yuma and Shun aren't performing much now, because they are still adjusting to the technical requirements and they are just 16 (Shun) /17(Yuma) ( I saw Yuzuru skate at 16, I wasn't very impressed) But, it would be foolish to say that they can't gain these qualities with more security, hardwork, experience, and especially for Shun (he looks like a frightened puppy on the ice) confidence. Natural charisma does not guarentee success or even good performances, if it did Marin Honda would not be where she is...

mikeko666

Final Flight
JSF decided to exempt non-seed skaters who train overseas from Sectionals in order to minimize the risk to catch COVID-19 and maximize their training time.

Exempt from Eastern Sectionals
- Koshiro Shimada - assigned to Internationaux de France
- Riku Miura & Ryuichi Kihara - no competition until Nationals
- Rikako Fukase & Cho Eichu(Oliver Zhang) - assigned to NHK Trophy

Exempt from Western Sectionals
- Kana Muramoto & Daisuke Takahashi - assigned to NHK Trophy

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
What about Satoko, she should be exempt too??
ETA, nevermind, I opened the attached document and it showed Satoko's name among the seeded skaters. I am relieved she won't have to leave Canada just because of sectionals.

Last edited:

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
What about Satoko, she should be exempt too??
ETA, nevermind, I opened the attached document and it showed Satoko's name among the seeded skaters. I am relieved she won't have to leave Canada just because of sectionals.
Satoko's exemption was announced very early on (I made a note in the discussion thread for Japanese ladies'). JSF had taken on the note that she's currently training oversea and thus waived her participations of domestic competitions.

mikeko666

Final Flight
Kana Muramoto and Daisuke Takahashi announced their programs.

RD: The Mask (choreographed by Marina Zoueva, Ilia Tkachenko, Maxim Kozhevnikov)
FD: La Bayadere (choreographed by Marina Zoueva/Massimo Scali)

Sources:

KiraraChin

Medalist
So, the scores of the main Japanese Men at Sectionals:

Western Sectionals:
1. Sota Yamamoto 221.22
2. Kazuki Tomono 212.92
3. Keiji Tanaka 211.05

Eastern Sectionals:
1. Shun Sato 229.18
2. Yuma Kagiyama 212.32

From this you can tell everyone struggled one way or another; Sota and Shun struggled less so they won (kudos to them for this)
All these chaotic men will be competing next at NHK, it has the potential to be a hot mess... 😅

giulia95

Medalist
I don't think magnetism /charisma is always natural. It is often learned. Shoma was always a dynamic performer, but Yuzuru used to have almost zero charisma on the ice. He only changed when success brought him the confidence to display all his incredible gifts.

baby Yuzu is so energetic it looks like he comes out of the computer screen :ROFLMAO:

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just a reminder to post sectional and regional event results/info in the threads below. Thanks :)!

KiraraChin

Medalist
Just a reminder to post sectional and regional event results/info in the threads below. Thanks :)!
Thanks, but I just wanted to comment on the general state of the Japanese Men, which is basically: everyone is chaotic :)

Besides, results have already been posted on the threads you linked.

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
Tim Koleto has just announced that he is officially a Japanese citizen (& therefore eligible for the olympics)! :)

I hope they can go, because they've obviously never been and the next Winter Olympics, whenever they may happen, might be their last opportunity. I don't expect Japan to have more than one spot for Beijing in ID. Keeping my fingers crossed for them! :)

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Tim Koleto has just announced that he is officially a Japanese citizen (& therefore eligible for the olympics)! :)

After past missed opportunities, for pairs especially, because of this citizenship thing, this is good news.
I hope Japan will have two spots in ice dance for olys. If not, i hope team KoKo will get the sole spot because they won't probably have another chance.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Congratulations to Utana Yoshida and Shingo Nishiyama - 2x Japan Junior Ice Dance champions!
We also have two new junior medallists:
  • Ayano Sasaki/Atsuhiko Tamura
  • Kaho Yamashita/Yuto Nagata (last year's novice champions)
& Happy belated Birthday to Keiji Tanaka, who turned 26 yesterday!

Last edited:

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
^ Keiji turned 26, actually ;) He's one of the veterans now. Anyhow, I'll keep my fingers crossed for the underdogs at NHK.
I can't wait to see Utashin in seniors. Good to know Japan has multiple ice dance teams now. I hope pairs get lucky in a few years, too!

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
^ Oops, I've edited it. :)
I really like Utashin but I prefer to see them grow in juniors. Let's wait and see!

Lucas Tsuyoshi Honda is the new Japan Junior Men's champion!
We'll see him along with medallists Kao and Sena at NHK this week :popcorn:

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Not sure if this is the right place to post, but Shu Nakamura and Shion Kamada (retired but still young skaters) have a new Youtube channel with random skating-related stuff.
Here is Shu trying quads in a harness for fun :D He landed loop, flip and lutz.