2020 NHK Trophy: Men's SP | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2020 NHK Trophy: Men's SP

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
Is Simon hallucinating or am I, because I don't remember a Worlds in Bulgaria recently? A Junior Worlds, yes, but Keiji wouldn't have been competing there, surely?

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
We don't have test skates, we do have the ranking competition that is going to be streamed on youtube. I posted the link on the Korean skating thread.
Ah yes I couldn't remember the name, I shall pop over and have a look.

I miss Shomajesty's tiny self :(

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm reminded I need to wash my masks...I have one for each day of the week now.

Excited for Shun!

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I'm speaking from a Korean point of view so it could be different from Japan, but here kids born from one foreign parent and one native parent usually have two names. For instance, there's an idol called Jeon Somi whose father is Dutch, her other name is Ennik Somi Douma (the former a Korean name with her mother's surname, the latter her Dutch name with her father's surname plus her Korean name as her middle name). She goes by Jeon Somi because it's easier to fit in and stuff, anonymoose's brother's family probably went that route too. So Honda Lucas Tsuyoshi could have a non-Japanese father and have a separate name (Lucas Dadsurname), but again since he has what is basically a hyphenated first name maybe not.

Like I said with anonymoose's reply, VERY interesting!

On a related note, I've always liked the way that names are done in Spanish and Portuguese speaking countries.

Spanish: First name | Dad's surname | Mum's surname
Portuguese: First name | Mum's surname | Dad's surname

I love the way that this system honours both sides of your family, rather than just one side.

And I have often thought that this sort of approach would work brilliantly for children whose heritage lies in different cultures. So, it is good to hear that at least one family has gone down this route.

And I totally understand why Jeon Somi switches between names. Let's face it, it is never easy transliterating words from one alphabet into another. So, it is much easier for people in her position to have one name for the Korean alphabet, and another name for the Latin alphabet.

Anyway, next skater is about to start.

Thank you for the information.

:thank:

CaroLiza_fan

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Uhoh single toe.

I guess he's not allowed to try another combo even though the single toe doesn't count?