2020 NHK Trophy: Free Dance | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2020 NHK Trophy: Free Dance

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I find the Oliver Zhang/Cho Eichu situation really interesting, he's Canadian although with Chinese parents so in theory he's supposed to go the Tim Koleto route and have Oliver Zhang written in katakana. But they got his Chinese name (Zhang Ruizhong in Mandarin) and read the Chinese characters in the Japanese way (Cho Eichu)
Really? That's intriguing indeed! So he's got 3 names? Hope he doesn't get confused! Also will he be able to get Japanese citizenship anytime soon?

Buble is dat you?

It is!

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
Oh wait, I think I saw this at the Ice Academy Montreal liveshow they did back in September... it's just okay. I feel like there were some clumsy moments, particularly in the character step and last lift but maybe that's just me.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I find the Oliver Zhang/Cho Eichu situation really interesting, he's Canadian although with Chinese parents so in theory he's supposed to go the Tim Koleto route and have Oliver Zhang written in katakana. But they got his Chinese name (Zhang Ruizhong in Mandarin) and read the Chinese characters in the Japanese way (Cho Eichu)

I actually like the way that his name has approached. Taking his original Chinese name, and using it to work out his Japanese name. Seems more meaningful to me.

The reason I still refer to him buy his Anglicised name is simple - I have no idea how to pronounce his Chinese or Japanese first names! And I don't want to butcher them! :laugh:

CaroLiza_fan

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
I actually like the way that his name has approached. Taking his original Chinese name, and using it to work out his Japanese name. Seems more meaningful to me.

The reason I still refer to him buy his Anglicised name is simple - I have no idea how to pronounce his Chinese or Japanese names! And I don't want to butcher them! :laugh:

CaroLiza_fan
But his original name is Oliver, he was born in Montreal. His Chinese name is his second name, Oliver isn't an Anglicized name here.

And BTW, Ruizhong is like rue+yee(said in a single syllable)-jong(sorta), and Eichu is eh-ee-choo.

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
I found that tremendously enjoyable particularly at the start, but yeah, Dai's inexperience showed more today than yesterday. No, Simon, they are definitely not going to Stockholm, but that's really okay! What they need is time and practice practice practice.