Russian ladies Olympic team | Golden Skate

Russian ladies Olympic team

lappo

Final Flight
Among the many incredible Russian ladies out there, who would be in your ideal Olympic team? And who would you think will make the team when (if?) the Olympics come? I know these are very, very early predictions but they are interesting (at least to me) nonetheless.
My ideal team: Anna S. Alyona K. Sasha T.
As much as I love some of the other prospects, I really would love the 3A make the Olympic team together and see who would come on top at the biggest stage.
The possible team: Anna S. Kamila V. Sasha T.
As of now, they seem to me the better prospects as we really don't know how Alyona is recovering and how her 3A is going. Of course, if Alyona is back at her best (which I truly hope) her 3A would make a strong arguments for her, as it would be much needed in the SP of the team event. I don't see an entire Eteri team for the Olympics (it didn't happen in 2018, I don't think it will happen in 2022). I also don't see the "older" skaters (such as Liza or Zhenya) making the team.
Anyway, much health and best of luck to all the ladies. It will be a bloodbath and, whoever will make the team, I already know that I will feel bad for at least a couple of ladies left at home.

Autumn Leaves

On the Ice
Interesting and difficult question. The honest answer - I wish that ISU would give more spots to the Russian ladies! I need about seven :)

Each of the 3A deserves to make team, especially after Worlds 2020, GP 2020 and Euro 2021 were canceled and WC 21 is still a question mark. This insanely talented generation was deprived of so many moments to shine, so going to the Olympics would somewhat compensate for that.

But Kamila is exceptionally good and fully deserves a spot as well.

I want Evgenia to have a second chance; a fighter like her deserves it. Despite having multiple titles, she badly needs to close that Olympic page in a glorious way to be able to move on.

I want Alina to come back and go to the Olympics, I will never get tired of seeing her on the ice. She was becoming better and better and even more expressive when the 3A burst into the scene and she lost motivation. Probably the chance for second Olympics could motivate her?

And Liza of course! With all the years of her hard work, talent and character, it would be great if she makes the team.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
My ideal team: Evgenia, Anna S., Aliona

My prediction: Cannot say. I think it is really hard to predict a team so early. So many times the predicted skaters did not make it. E.g. Liza in 2014, Polina in 2018. Often times consistent skaters suddenly have issues adjusting to their 1st senior season, other skaters struggle with adjusting to puberty, sometimes injuries happen etc. Ice is slippery and I think especially in figure skating it is hard to predict who will go to the Olympics in the end. We have one year left and a lot can happen during that time. Of course I wish that all of the ladies could make it, but sadly there are only 3 spots. It will be heartbreaking either way, since half of the current top Russian ladies won't make it. My biggest dream is for Zhenya to go to the Olympics a second time. To have her second chance. Trying to manifest this daily:laugh::pray:

silveruskate

On the Ice
My ideal team would include Zhenya, but only if she deserved it. And that would mean two 4Salchows in the FS and a fixed Lutz at the least, which I just don't see.

So my ideal is Aliona, Anna and Sasha.

Prediction I can't say. A year ago I was sure Aliona would be in the team and there would be a fight for the next 2 spots. Skip 1 year, Aliona only has an outside chance.

macy

Record Breaker
the most likely at this point are Anna and Kamila, but it will be between them, Aliona, Sasha, Daria, Liza and Maiia for making the team.

Skatefan15

On the Ice
My ideal team is way off from what it will probably be :ROFLMAO: Ideal would be Zhenya, Aliona, and Sasha T. But it will prob end up being Anna, Kamila, and Sasha (or if Daria gets a quad, the judges will definitely try to put her on instead). It would be really cool if Liza T could get on the team, but I really don’t know what she would need to do (jump wise). Nevertheless, Nationals 2021-22 should be pretty exciting!

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
My ideal team includes Aliona, also Kseniia Sinitsyna...haven't seen her at all this season!

I find it too difficult to predict the team. I used to think that the most quads would place highest at nationals, but Sasha has never won. With the riskier elements there is also elevated chances of injury as well. My other thought was What if the Winter Olympics gets delayed by a year...then Samodelkina and Petrosyan would be eligible too ;)

Fluture

Record Breaker
I don’t even want to say who I wish to be on the team because I fear I‘ll jinx them, they‘ll get bad luck and I end up with none of them making it. Yes, I am superstitious like that. :biggrin:

Who I think will make it... at this point:

1. Anna
2. Kamila
3. Sasha/Daria

I see no way for Anna to be left off the team if she‘s healthy. She‘s like the Evgenia in 2018, though with less international accomplishments due to the pandemic. But the three national titles speak for themselves. She‘s been reliable and consistent and conveniently, she can also land the two hardest types of quads. So, yes, she‘s the most solid choice and RusFed knows it.

2. Kamila was incredibly hyped this season and I think she‘s still the one who has the potential to win it all. She‘s the Alina to Anna‘s Evgenia. Better technical ability, though not as obviously so as it was with Alina and Zhenya (Anna can land two quads but she‘s also always in danger of getting her lutz and flip edges called (both are ! imo), depending on the panel. She won’t, of course, as long as she‘s among the Russian top 3 but the fact still stands that Kamila has clear edges on both flip and lutz and usually, a more well rotated quad as well as better spins and skating skills) I don‘t think she‘s anywhere close to Anna in terms of presentation but she has nice lines and we‘ve seen at RusNats that her PCS were VERY close to Anna‘s. So, if Anna shows anything close to weakness, they‘ll be ready to push Kamila as number one. Looking at it now, it‘s almost eery how similar these two situations look at this point in time.

Well, I know who I‘ll be rooting for. Come on, redemption for the “old ladies“, Anna! :laugh:

3. Sasha and Daria, maybe Aliona

This is the one where I‘m most undecided. Sasha seems like the most obvious choice but she‘s also not been very reliable so far and she‘s a little hit and miss. Of course, if anyone deserves to go, it‘s her. Imagine the girl revolutionizing ladies figure skating not making it to the Olympics! If she can deliver under pressure a few times (RusNats was a good start), RusFed won‘t leave her home. But she‘ll have to work hard for that spot and she can‘t afford to have a weak moment. We‘ve seen how quick they were to push Daria over her in the SP, despite the latters mistakes.

Basically, Sasha has to be picture perfect as often as she can to build a different narrative and hope that Daria doesn‘t get a 3A or quad. Because if she does, it will be even more difficult.

Aliona, at this point, is a wildcard, which makes me very sad to say. She‘s already very old for a Russian lady (remember, she‘s at the age Evgenia was when things started to go south for her). She showed incredible consistency last season and she obviously is mentally strong, but she‘s battling injuries and illness in an age where you cannot afford to struggle. She‘ll need to go back to at least the layouts she had last season. I‘m praying for her to make it but right now, I‘m not hopeful. That‘s why she’s behind both Sasha and Daria in my ranking.

Maiia and Liza have outside chances; I guess. If Maiia finally lands her quad and does it consistently, she could be a dark horse. Similar for Liza and the three 3As. The Russian fed doesn‘t like to send her because her skating style’s not exactly modern so she would have to be exceptionally good while other favorites would have to exceptionally struggle. I‘d be happy for her but I‘m doubtful it‘s going to happen.

I can‘t see anyone else making it but I‘d very much like to be surprised, by, let‘s say, Zhenya. She DESERVES a second chance, she deserves to have a positive Olympic experience that isn‘t overshadowed by loss, pain and drama. But sadly, we don’t always get what we deserve in life. I don’t see a way for her - even before the injury it was an uphill battle against the quads/3As. Now, with that back injury and lung damage? I‘m happy if she comes to competition at all.

I have no idea about Alina, frankly. If she wants to go through the drill again and give up her other opportunities, the Russian fed would at least surely give her a chance at RusNats, since she‘s the reigning Champ after all. But she’s done it once, does she really want to go through all that pain and suffering in training again, when she has so many other things she could do? If she comes back, then I guess she‘ll be the one Sasha‘ll have to battle with, unless Daria gets a quad/3A.

And btw, yes, I know it‘s impossible to predict and trying is pretty much futile and foolish. But I enjoy going back to these posts to see how utterly wrong (or not, I wasn‘t so wrong in my RusNats predictions after all, so who knows....) I ended up being. I find it amusing. :biggrin:

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
I know its a long shot , but id love to see Liza T in Beijing. She’s worked so hard to stay relevant among the amazing teenagers! but unfortunately, I can’t see her get farther than 1st or second alternate at this point.

Anna S looks really strong at this point, however, her situation seems eerily similar to Med/Zagi: Appear unstoppable until The younger girls turn senior. I’m still unsure on whether or not she’ll hang on, but she’s proven everyone wrong before.

If Aliona gets herself together, she can still make the team.

Unless Daria gets a triple axel and Maia K can land 2-3 quads, I cant see either of them being sent

i think the team could be kamila, Aliona, and Anna/Trusova/Tuk. Don’t see Zhenys factoring in at all

brakes

On the Ice
I'll just say, I was pretty surprised how Bobrova described Evgenia is still obsessed with getting Olympic gold medal and how she would love her friend took a while to look at all the other possibilities around.
I was sure the reality must have been slowly but surely discouraging her, but judging from her best friend's words it isn't!

Last edited:

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Sadly, one of Anna, Sasha, Alena, or Kamila will be the the most talented woman never to skate in an Olympics.
How about 2026? They'd be 20-23 years old. Looking at the current crop of young novices, Akatieva misses the age cut-off by a few days and so does everyone younger than her.

Can we say for sure that every one of these four (Anna, Sasha, Alena and Kamila) would be either retired or quadless by 2026? 🤔 Because whoever isn't may have a second shot at Olympic qualification.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I know its a long shot , but id love to see Liza T in Beijing. She’s worked so hard to stay relevant among the amazing teenagers! but unfortunately, I can’t see her get farther than 1st or second alternate at this point.

Anna S looks really strong at this point, however, her situation seems eerily similar to Med/Zagi: Appear unstoppable until The younger girls turn senior. I’m still unsure on whether or not she’ll hang on, but she’s proven everyone wrong before.

If Aliona gets herself together, she can still make the team.

Unless Daria gets a triple axel and Maia K can land 2-3 quads, I cant see either of them being sent

i think the team could be kamila, Aliona, and Anna/Trusova/Tuk. Don’t see Zhenys factoring in at all
Anna has one advantage, she works well under a big pressure. Not that she doesn't do mistakes but so far the only truly bad skate was JGPF two years ago. She also shows stability (not a single fall this season) and still has potentially one quad (second 4F/Lz) in her pocket.

icybear

Medalist
I think Evgenia is trying to do a Patrick Chan and get a team gold medal. But getting into the Russian ladies team for the olympics is a near impossible feat. She'll have to bet on luck that 2 of the top 4 become inconsistent enough that her weak TES can overcome them.

brakes

On the Ice
How about 2026? They'd be 20-23 years old. Looking at the current crop of young novices, Akatieva misses the age cut-off by a few days and so does everyone younger than her.

Can we say for sure that every one of these four (Anna, Sasha, Alena and Kamila) would be either retired or quadless by 2026? 🤔 Because whoever isn't may have a second shot at Olympic qualification.
Alena will be 22, Anna and Sasha 21, Kamila 19.

TripleAxelQueens3

sasha trusova is superior
Final Flight
My ideal team is Sasha, Daria and Kseniia Sinitsyna...
Realistically I think it might be Kamila, Sasha and Anna. But if Daria or Alyona can get a stable 3A then they could totally be on the team too. If Liza gets stable 3A and some quad she could challenge as well. And if Maiia gets a stable 4S and 4T she could totally play the dark horse. Oh it will be a bloodbath at nationals next year...

TripleAxelQueens3

sasha trusova is superior
Final Flight

Wait, won't Akatieva be eligible in the 2023-2024 season?

Imagine

Medalist
The three who have the most/most consistent quads during the next season will be the team. Imo, It's been pretty clear since Sasha landed those 2 quads at Junior Worlds during the year of the Olympics that this is where things are headed. Personally, I can only hope Alena makes the team, but right now, it's not looking so good for her if the others gain the 3A and she has no quads. All of the top Russian ladies are exceedingly deserving of an Olympic spot. While I would be extremely happy to be proven wrong, I don't think we will be seeing Zhenya at the Olympics again. If any non teenager makes the team, it'll be Tuktamysheva, which would still be an epic redemption story.