Do you get nervous for your skaters? | Golden Skate

Do you get nervous for your skaters?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, yes, yes, yes.

Half the time I "watch" Jason with my hands over my eyes. But when I'm at the comp, I manage to watch the whole thing.

Not just figure skating though: way back in the day when I was a Flyers fan and actually had tickets, I would go out to the concourse when I got too nervous. Luckily the tickets were in the last row:biggrin:

kirauza343

On the Ice
Depends on the skater but usually yes! Rika’s my fave which was very stressful during her first senior season...thank god she’s gotten better at hitting her short program!

Wakaba, Mana, and Liza are also stressful with their triple axels. Jason always has me holding me breath for his free. And for US Nationals I’m nervous for Alysa (I just want her to skate well!), Audrey Shin (she had such a great debut at Skate America and I really hope she can deliver again!) and Amber (HIT THAT TRIPLE AXEL!).

On the other hand I’m hardly ever nervous for Nathan, Yuzuru, or Papadakis/Cizeron, though it helps that I don’t know enough about the technical side of Ice Dance to be worried and that Nathan and Yuzuru are head and shoulders about the other guys right now.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Depends on the skater but usually yes! Rika’s my fave which was very stressful during her first senior season...thank god she’s gotten better at hitting her short program!

Wakaba, Mana, and Liza are also stressful with their triple axels. Jason always has me holding me breath for his free. And for US Nationals I’m nervous for Alysa (I just want her to skate well!), Audrey Shin (she had such a great debut at Skate America and I really hope she can deliver again!) and Amber (HIT THAT TRIPLE AXEL!).

On the other hand I’m hardly ever nervous for Nathan, Yuzuru, or Papadakis/Cizeron, though it helps that I don’t know enough about the technical side of Ice Dance to be worried and that Nathan and Yuzuru are head and shoulders about the other guys right now.
I never get nervous for Nathan. He’s very calming.
With Gracie I’m like...what if she doesn’t skate well and she’s unhappy and she decides to quit and I never get to see her skate again??? Gracie my cardboard cutout is there for you!!! You can do it!

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm usually a bundle of nerves for my favorites. Sometimes I get skating amnesia and can barely remember the skate. Forgetting to breathe has happened too -- ok for the short, not so much for the long! 😀

Last edited:

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
For my two biggest favorites, Sota and Yuzuru - all the time! For the former, at every single event, and my stomach is in knots; for the latter, since his position on Team Japan is unshakeable, I only stress at the biggest competitions like GPF, Worlds and Olympics, so that's easier. Back when Mao was active, I was nervous for her too. For the other favorites, I root for them and sometimes am nervous, but it's much easier to bear ^ ^

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I get nervous for nearly everybody, but as with everyone else some more than others. Which also means that I get moved (to tears sometimes) if they skate well. I don't lose sleep over it or anything beforehand, but my stomach starts working up once they get into starting position. I recall the OG with Savchenko/Massot sitting on the corner of my chair and actually crying at the end. And then again with Duhamel/Radford, Sui/Han and Tarasova/Morozov because much as I wished for Savchenko/Massot to win, I wanted everyone to skate well. I also recall feeling so happy for S/M and D/R and simultaneously sorry for S/H and even more for T/M but that was of course afterwards....

Vemvane

On the Ice
Yes! I get butterflies in my stomach watching my favourites skate, until they've finished their last jumping pass, and then I can relax. I get particularly nervous for Evgenia Medvedeva and Aliona Kostornaia, but Sasha Trusova and Anna Shcherbakova also tie my stomach in knots. If I can, I like to catch the livestream as it's happening, because some part of me clearly believes I can will the skaters to stay on their feet and land every jump.

On the other hand, sometimes, when watching skaters, I get a sense of confidence right from the start of their programmes - it's happened a few times with Aliona K., and this season I've had it so far with Elizaveta Tuktamysheva's free skate at Rostelecom, and with Kamila Valieva's free skate at Russian Nationals. And when they project that serene confidence, I forget to be nervous, because they have me convinced that they are going to deliver a masterclass of a performance; and so far, they have!

Idiote

On the Ice
If I can, I like to catch the livestream as it's happening, because some part of me clearly believes I can will the skaters to stay on their feet and land every jump.
I wish it was the same for me ! The first time I watched Sasha live was last year's RusNats :( And since then everytime I watched her live she had troubles, so I became convinced that my nervousness watching her somehow travelled from France to wherever she was skating ^^' After Rostelecom I definitely got paranoid and decided not to watch RusNats live, and well, she skated clean so that seals it for me :biggrin:

But otherwise Sasha is the only one I really feel nervous about when she skates, I really have a soft spot for her. For most of the other skaters I love I'd say I'm more on the edge of my seat than biting my nails in anxiety. And some just project so much confidence that I'm never worried they're gonna be okay ^^

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
so I became convinced that my nervousness watching her somehow travelled from France to wherever she was skating
I feel this way about T/M! I especially hid at work to watch their Olympics free skate and when the score popped up I started crying right with Zhenya T 😭

And they ended up with silver when I especially woke up to watch them at Worlds.

It's a bit of a bummer TBH. Ah well.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It depends on the skater. Nathan is pretty calming. I tend to get more nervous for the skaters who don't have consistent quads & for the pairs skaters when it comes to side by side jumps. For the dancers, I worry about the quality of their twizzles. For Satoko M. , I just pray that she hits all of her technical elements securely.