Thanks Skate Canada and Ted Barton | Golden Skate

Thanks Skate Canada and Ted Barton

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I'm enjoying watching the 2021 Skate Canada Challenge from the comfort of my living room. It's a treat to see all the up and coming talent as well as the seasoned veterans and how they are coping with the COVID restrictions on Figure Skating. My thanks to Skate Canada for providing this coverage and to Canadian coach Ted Barton for his fantastic commentary and overseeing the events online. Ted Barton is such a fountain of Figure Skating knowledge, I remember him way back when I used to figure skate. Two thumbs up (y)(y):cheer:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'm enjoying watching the 2021 Skate Canada Challenge from the comfort of my living room. It's a treat to see all the up and coming talent as well as the seasoned veterans and how they are coping with the COVID restrictions on Figure Skating. My thanks to Skate Canada for providing this coverage and to Canadian coach Ted Barton for his fantastic commentary and overseeing the events online. Ted Barton is such a fountain of Figure Skating knowledge, I remember him way back when I used to figure skate. Two thumbs up (y)(y):cheer:
You'd have better luck of the parties you are discussing and thanking actually seeing your appreciation if you were to post it with their feed (if there's a comment section) or live chat, or on one of their social media pages. :)

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I really appreciate the way Skate Canada appears to have thoroughly thought through the best viewing experience. Perhaps they learned from seeing how other virtual competitions were conducted and taking note of fan comments.

It is so great that SC decided to make the experience feel as live as possible. Plus, it was helpful having Ted Barton as a friendly, reliable guide. And I especially loved how they carefully included background and program details for every skater, right down to the ages that they each began skating! That was so user friendly and a nice touch. Using the map along with photos to introduce distanced judges and officials was also genius. They really thought this through and they did a great job considering the preparation that was required for all the officials to be trained in the online applications to avoid snafus in the real-time judging.

It was cool that some skaters sent texts/emails to Ted for him to reference their comments during the streaming broadcasts. Thumbs up!

ETA:
The success of this format, particularly in how SC implemented it, makes me wonder whether some types of domestic and international events in the future might be handled in this manner, particularly if there's the possibility of substantial savings involved in holding certain types of events in this manner.

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
You'd have better luck of the parties you are discussing and thanking actually seeing your appreciation if you were to post it with their feed (if there's a comment section) or live chat, or on one of their social media pages. :)

Probably texting or emailing Ted directly is the best bet. :)

Last edited:

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
They kept giving Ted's email during the stream. It's "[email protected]". (I had to put in the quotes to avoid an unwanted extra period. They're not part of the address!)

Ladskater

Record Breaker
I sent Ted Barton a thanks to his email as he posted his email address and text number.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Okay, folks I did send Ted Barton an email to say "thanks" for the great coverage. I just posted this at Golden Skate as a topic of interest. I thought it would make for a nice discussion here at Golden Skate, alas I was wrong.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thanks for posting @Ladskater. It gave me a thread in which to express my gratitude for how thoughtfully SC put together their virtual event. I also shared my impressions about how this event, in the way it was put together, may impact future virtual skating events.

I wish U.S. fed would take note regarding including a lot more identification and information about the skaters during a virtual competition. In addition, they should expend more energy and effort into having an overall guide such as Ted Barton, who gives input for viewers but doesn't talk all over performances.

Again, the effort by SC to have their virtual event judged in a real-time format is impressive. It should be more the standard in the future in regard to virtual competitions (which may need to be utilized going forward, for both domestic and international events). Perhaps SC and US fed should collaborate on putting together a North American virtual event. Just a thought.

katymay

Medalist
Thanks for posting @Ladskater. It gave me a thread in which to express my gratitude for how thoughtfully SC put together their virtual event. I also shared my impressions about how this event, in the way it was put together, may impact future virtual skating events.

I wish U.S. fed would take note regarding including a lot more identification and information about the skaters during a virtual competition. In addition, they should expend more energy and effort into having an overall guide such as Ted Barton, who gives input for viewers but doesn't talk all over performances.

Again, the effort by SC to have their virtual event judged in a real-time format is impressive. It should be more the standard in the future in regard to virtual competitions (which may need to be utilized going forward, for both domestic and international events). Perhaps SC and US fed should collaborate on putting together a North American virtual event. Just a thought.
The Novice ladies virtual challenge is posted on the FanZone site-really some wonderful little girls that are the future, alas, if there are names, clubs, ages attached somewhere, I can't find them. The Canadian's and Ted presented a well organized, well produced virtual event. The U$FSA has slapped a bunch of poorly filmed videos up on an equally messy FanZone site. Well done Canada, and Canada was able to show that it CAN be done, and done well.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The Novice ladies virtual challenge is posted on the FanZone site-really some wonderful little girls that are the future, alas, if there are names, clubs, ages attached somewhere, I can't find them. ...

I think you are referring back to September 2020 and U.S. Virtual Challenge Skate for novice and junior?

USFS gave the names in the starting orders.
The link to the starting orders was at the top of the Competition Central page for the event -- the same page that had links to the videos and results.

I appreciate that USFS was able to give the Challenge Skate entries an opportunity to compete at all in a virtual event -- especially around the same time that USFS also was occupied with making the virtual ISP Points Challenge happen for senior and junior.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Having grown up with sassy, persnickety Dick Button, I really find Ted Barton extremely boring.

LOL! Everybody has different personalities. Ted does a lot for the sport in his own way. I can't criticize too much his personality, and especially not his important contributions that benefit the sport and the fans.

@ice coverage: In regard to stating that there were some identifiers on the U.S. virtual videos, ummm, let's face it, there was a lot of room for improvement, which does not mean I'm not extremely appreciative that we got some skating competitions. There's so much better they can do going forward, as we've just seen done in SC's Virtual Challenge! That's not a diss on U.S. figure skating, it's simply a constructive critique they hopefully will take in stride.

Okay great that US figure skating got it done and plunged in, and tried to make a few adjustments as things moved forward. I'm sure SC watched and learned and thought about what they could do better! Anyway, U.S. figure skating's first effort contained no identifiers until the end of the video when the scores came up. For Challenge virtual events, they did list all of the participants beforehand. And I believe they put up names just before performances too. That's what was needed all along! Now, especially after seeing the way Canada produced their virtual Challenge event, U.S. figure skating should eagerly take some further improvement pointers.

It's not really a diss to point out that we can see there are ways to try and push for better quality videos and camera work. Look at all the info SC provided on their skaters too! And the videos were equally of good quality. We didn't see a mishmash of poorly lit rinks and faraway, tiny skaters or blurred views. I also love the real-time judging which was very well thought out and well-executed. It gave fans an added viewing experience, for which I'm grateful. And once again, I hope U.S. fed will take note for the future, because who knows what changes will need to happen regarding how events are held and organized in the future.

Luckily, it looks like U.S. figure skating will hold Nationals while Canada has drawbacks that won't allow them to hold their Nationals. It has to do with geography, logistics, money, rink closures and lack of training time, and the need for safety first. U.S. fans and skaters are fortunate that our Nationals will go forward in a previously tested and safe venue. Geography and fortuitous circumstances are on our side. Feds learning from each other in the ways that they can during this difficult time is a reasonable hope/ expectation, and not a putdown in any way.

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
You obviously have misread my response to the post from @katymay.
That is all that I have to to say to you.

If I've misread your intention, I apologize. My comments aren't meant as any kind of personal disagreement in any case.

Just as the fact SC put on a very fan-friendly event that can be learned from, is not a diss toward U.S. fed, my pointing out my overall impressions of various virtual competitions and lessons to be learned, is not intended as any disrespect toward you.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Having grown up with sassy, persnickety Dick Button, I really find Ted Barton extremely boring.
Hey are you implying that we Canadians are boring? LOL! I actually find Ted's style refreshing, and his FS knowledge is vast. He is very respectful of each skater and points out their skating qualities even if they are not at the top of the roster. I too remember Dick Button, his remarks were not always kind..just saying!

Ladskater

Record Breaker
LOL! Everybody has different personalities. Ted does a lot for the sport in his own way. I can't criticize too much his personality, and especially not his important contributions that benefit the sport and the fans.

@ice coverage: In regard to stating that there were some identifiers on the U.S. virtual videos, ummm, let's face it, there was a lot of room for improvement, which does not mean I'm not extremely appreciative that we got some skating competitions. There's so much better they can do going forward, as we've just seen done in SC's Virtual Challenge! That's not a diss on U.S. figure skating, it's simply a constructive critique they hopefully will take in stride.

Okay great that US figure skating got it done and plunged in, and tried to make a few adjustments as things moved forward. I'm sure SC watched and learned and thought about what they could do better! Anyway, U.S. figure skating's first effort contained no identifiers until the end of the video when the scores came up. For Challenge virtual events, they did list all of the participants beforehand. And I believe they put up names just before performances too. That's what was needed all along! Now, especially after seeing the way Canada produced their virtual Challenge event, U.S. figure skating should eagerly take some further improvement pointers.

It's not really a diss to point out that we can see there are ways to try and push for better quality videos and camera work. Look at all the info SC provided on their skaters too! And the videos were equally of good quality. We didn't see a mishmash of poorly lit rinks and faraway, tiny skaters or blurred views. I also love the real-time judging which was very well thought out and well-executed. It gave fans an added viewing experience, for which I'm grateful. And once again, I hope U.S. fed will take note for the future, because who knows what changes will need to happen regarding how events are held and organized in the future.

Luckily, it looks like U.S. figure skating will hold Nationals while Canada has drawbacks that won't allow them to hold their Nationals. It has to do with geography, logistics, money, rink closures and lack of training time, and the need for safety first. U.S. fans and skaters are fortunate that our Nationals will go forward in a previously tested and safe venue. Geography and fortuitous circumstances are on our side. Feds learning from each other in the ways that they can during this difficult time is a reasonable hope/ expectation, and not a putdown in any way.
While this is certainly a risk that the US figure skating association is taking, I wish them the best. Canada safely carried on with the NHL hockey games in a "bubble" in Edmonton and Toronto last season but now not getting off to a great start this season with several players off due to COVID. Thankfully, Skate Canada is holding off resuming a normal season and I am sure they will find a way to hold the Nationals in a safe way. Again, good luck to the US Nationals.