2021 US Nationals: Ladies' FS - Thoughts and Observations | Golden Skate

2021 US Nationals: Ladies' FS - Thoughts and Observations

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

“Winning the title back means everything to me,” she added. “It was one of the driving forces behind my move to Colorado this year. It was the driving force behind me waking up to train every day. They say it’s about the journey and not the destination, but the destination feels pretty good too!”

Wow! Big surprises and movements in placements after the short. What are your thoughts on the Free Skate? Overall Ladies' event? Placements and performances?

Last edited:

lizardlass

On the Ice
I'm thrilled for Bradie, Amber, and Karen! I was shocked that Alysa scored so low. I suppose she had under-rotations; I've never had the strongest eye for those. But I think her speed has greatly improved. I'm also bummed for Mariah. She was just very shaky, like her landing hip was unsteady. (I have hip problems, so I'm probably projecting.)

But Bradie was great! Very strong and sharp. Amber committed fully to every jump, and I've always enjoyed her wild style. And Karen! I'm so proud of her. She put together two clean, beautiful programs. It was great to see.

Amei

Record Breaker
I'm thrilled for Bradie, Amber, and Karen! I was shocked that Alysa scored so low. I suppose she had under-rotations; I've never had the strongest eye for those. But I think her speed has greatly improved. I'm also bummed for Mariah. She was just very shaky, like her landing hip was unsteady. (I have hip problems, so I'm probably projecting.)

But Bradie was great! Very strong and sharp. Amber committed fully to every jump, and I've always enjoyed her wild style. And Karen! I'm so proud of her. She put together two clean, beautiful programs. It was great to see.

Alysa had 2 q's called on her jumps, and a downgrade on her triple salchow. Here are the protocols

NAOTMAA

Medalist
Alysa had 2 q's called on her jumps, and a downgrade on her triple salchow. Here are the protocols
Its this type of thing that cost her gold at the JGPF and the silver at junior worlds last year. If she doesn't get her quads and 3A back full force she's not going to fare well against Kamila and Daria. And on top of that compared to what they did at Russian nationals she came across as extremely juvenile here. The free program Lori gave her was weak

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My main thought is that I want to hire Alysa to be my promoter.

That girl has a knack for selling her program like few others. It is a gift that can’t be taught.

She just sold me the phone I already owned. Haha

She sells like it’s the best program ever.
Amazing self belief.

It’s also the epitome of the baby faces assassin too. Disarms you in the process.

Wish I had those skills.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
Gracie has her triple triple.
A lot of Gracie's jumps tonight looked great until the landing where it looked like she bailed out of them for some reason.

She looks like she's still not confident in herself and that's why many of the jumps didn't have cleaner landings when they could have. Still it was definitely a big step in the right direction

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A lot of Gracie's jumps tonight looked great until the landing where it looked like she bailed out of them for some reason.

She looks like she's still not confident in herself and that's why many of the jumps didn't have cleaner landings when they could have. Still it was definitely a big step in the right direction
Did you see her practice? She landed jump after jump after jump..she, along with many other skaters is helped greatly by the crowd imho.. (they need us y’all! They really do!)

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Alysa went into this event widely being written off for this season, so even if she only ended up with the pewter medal that so many people forget (or pretend, in the case of NBC's broadcasters) doesn't exist, this was a real triumph for her. There were some mistakes, but nothing I'd lose sleep over.

Bradie got her title back, which she's surely thrilled by.

Over the years I've learned not to hope for Amber, so this was a wonderful surprise.

Surely a crushing disappointment for Mariah. Hard to sugarcoat it, especially since that free program is kind of bad even apart from its execution today.

I was impressed with a few skaters further down, like Thorngren, who seems like she'll be worth following in the years ahead.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
Did you see her practice? She landed jump after jump after jump..she, along with many other skaters is helped greatly by the crowd imho.. (they need us y’all! They really do!)
They had the fake crowd applause/cheer at the same level though out the whole night which no real audience is. It would have been nice if they had someone at a control panel or something and give it some variety. Louder cheers at a programs climax, cheers of encouragement when they want to lift someone up, clapping, etc. Or maybe that would be too odd and distracting

Skatefan15

On the Ice
I wish Alysa was second (but I get because of the double flip that would’ve been hard). However, she’s made so many improvements, really proud of her (she’s still got it)! Congrats to Bradie, Amber, Karen, and Alysa! This was my dream podium (maybe not that order... but still), so I’m really excited!:hap10:
I feel bad for Gracie, Hanna, and Starr though:( 😭

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They had the fake crowd applause/cheer at the same level though out the whole night which no real audience is. It would have been nice if they had someone at a control panel or something and give it some variety. Louder cheers at a programs climax, cheers of encouragement when they want to lift someone up, clapping, etc. Or maybe that would be too odd and distracting
I think they’re doing the very best they can to make it special for all the skaters and I applaud that. Nevertheless it seems it would be hard to have a “Nationals moment” with canned applause and not even your coach in the K&C. Or perhaps I am all wet and it doesn’t make a difference to them.

readernick

Medalist
Bradie was undoubtedly the best. Her spins, her jumps, her overall performance was deserving of the win. Bradie continues to grow as a skater. Definitely deserves to be number one, and will definitely be sent to World's if there is one.

I have a soft spot for Amber and she deserves her second place. I noticed some speculation that she wouldn't be chosen for World's but that would be a mistake imho. It is true she is inconsistent, but she has good SS and her jumps are actually rotated ( 3A excepted) unlike many other skaters here. She also has a genuine emotion to her skating that is very appealing.She has been on an upswing the last two seasons. I think USFS would be smart to send her to World's. She might land a 3A or two and , as a result, help the USA get three spots or hold on to two.

Karen is obviously incredibly talented, and I am happy that she did well here. Her SS are great and so are her spins ( although Bradie's spins are equally good). Her program is also pleasant. That being said international technical panels would have a field day with her jump rotation. She has to learn not to delay her jumps. This is why I don't think she is a good bet for World's.

Alysa is making a lot of improvements. She has so much charm. I don't like her programs that much, but I love her smile. She is also a good competitor. Some UR issues, but I think that she is making rapid improvement and I think that by next year she might have her 3A back and be fully rotating her back-ended 3-3s. I hope she has better programs next year. She is loveable.

Mariah had a bad weekend. Her programs also aren't doing her any favors. Mariah is , like Alysa, a skater with incredible natural charm but she needs the right vehicles to display it and these programs aren't it. Also, Mariah generally has really nice edge work and SS but she didn't seem to be bending her knees this weekend. Mariah was either suffering from nerves or a lack of preparation due to COVID. Perhaps both....

Also a shout out to Gabby Izzo. I didn't like her LP but I think she was really underscored in TES/ PCS in the SP, and also a bit underscored in the FP. She definitely deserves higher PCS than Lindsey, but she was given lower PCS even in her SP. What did she do to piss off some of the judges? ( Not all the judges, some scored her fairly but half of them were really harsh on her... Strange)

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Can‘t lie, the other thought I had watching the FS was why can’t we have Russian Nationals more often. Like every week or 2.

Amei said it much better than me in the SP thread on Thursday:
I think going after Russian and Japanese nationals hurts them because we see the American ladies still competing like its the early 2000s and it's like wow how far behind they are to the Russians and Japanese skaters

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Can‘t lie, the other thought I had watching the FS was why can’t we have Russian Nationals more often. Like every week or 2.

You can, just go re-read the Russian Nationals thread over and over again about every week or 2 and you're good.

Again, back to talking about the US LADIES please...

readernick

Medalist

Honestly, the Russian ladies were extremely impressive in the LP due to technical content but their SP were as exciting for me as the American ladies. ( Meaning not very exciting). ( The best SPs this year were at Japanese Nationals, plus Elizaveta Nugumanova at RN) and even in the LP it was really only the top three skaters at RN and the top skater at JN who were significantly better technically than the American ladies. ( Obviously Japanese ladies have everyone beat SS wise, but not necessarily technically or performance wise) I think everyone is suffering the effects of COVID this year. Best not to even mention Canadian ladies or the non-Russian European competitors. :palmf:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Honestly, the Russian ladies were extremely impressive in the LP due to technical content but their SP were as exciting for me as the American ladies. ( Meaning not very exciting). ( The best SPs this year were at Japanese Nationals, plus Elizaveta Nugumanova at RN) and even in the LP it was really only the top three skaters at RN and the top skater at JN who were significantly better technically than the American ladies. ( Obviously Japanese ladies have everyone beat SS wise, but not necessarily technically or performance wise) I think everyone is suffering the effects of COVID this year. Best not to even mention Canadian ladies or the non-Russian European competitors. :palmf:
How about we just talk about US ladies here which is what this is about. The other countries have their own threads where each is to be discussed. :palmf:

Imagine

Medalist
Good for Bradie. When she won the championship in 2018, I remember thinking she was overscored and skated like an emotionless robot. I had written her off as a manufactured phenom for promoting the Olympics, and wasn't expecting to see much of her after the games. Tonight she delivered one of the best, most passionate performances I've seen from a US lady in a long time. Actually, her artistic improvement over the last couple of years has been quite astonishing. Her SP last year is still one of my favourites. Shame that we never got to see it at Worlds cause of the stupid pandemic. I wonder who's behind her growth, cause as far as I know, it seems like she's had the same coach for a while. What led to the breakthrough?