2021 US Nationals: Ladies' FS - Thoughts and Observations | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2021 US Nationals: Ladies' FS - Thoughts and Observations

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Good for Bradie. When she won the championship in 2018, I remember thinking she was overscored and skated like an emotionless robot. I had written her off as a manufactured phenom for promoting the Olympics, and wasn't expecting to see much of her after the games. Tonight she delivered one of the best, most passionate performances I've seen from a US lady in a long time. Actually, her artistic improvement over the last couple of years has been quite astonishing. Her SP last year is still one of my favourites. Shame that we never got to see it at Worlds cause of the stupid pandemic. I wonder who's behind her growth, cause as far as I know, it seems like she's had the same coach for a while. What led to the breakthrough?
Benoit Richaud her choreographer. Also, I think the multiple shows/tours she was doing with Stars on Ice and the other skaters who can move and the choreographers that forced her to grow are the ones responsible even to a smaller degree. But definitely Benoit. She's also moved coaches to Tom Z in Colorado.

ETA: Bradie has become quite the entertainer in show programs.

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
Well done Bradie!!!!! I just love her programs and artistry. Her LP this season really builds up towards the end and Bradie manages to live up to that! I love the fact that she seems to tackle her artistry with an efficient, almost matter of fact approach which is not often how you think artistry works but it has worked beautifully for Bradie! Her SP and LP last season were my absolute favorite programs (of the season) from any skater other than Rika (Rika is my chosen child so that's a whole other story). I loved loved loved her romantic and somewhat tragic LP last season.

Was very much entertained by her performances are Nats and am so happy for her. She's up there on my list of favorites!

On a more shallow note, what I would give to look like Bradie in her SP jumpsuit. That will never happen but a girl can dream!

Alysa! Again also on my list of favorites. I have a major soft spot for her. How can I not with that big, beautiful charming smile and that never say die attitude? I like her SP, I don't think I would like it normally but because it's ok elevated by Alysa's brand of charm I'm quite sold on it. I'm neutral towards her FP because neutral is as negative as I can be for Alysa 😝.

Really wanted her nab the silver and she might have had it not been for that freaky flip. Kind of ironic since I was admiring her flip in the SP. Overall still pretty happy for her and happy that I don't need to worry about her anymore!

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
The free program Lori gave her was weak
Imo, Lori delivered with Sui and Han, but a lot of her programs in recent years were a complete miss for me (especially for Boyang!)
I don’t think she made a good program for Alysa.

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
Rewatching Bradie's skate and I noticed she had a 3F2T2L as her final element. Really squeezing out every point! Bradie is extremely self aware in terms of what she needs to do to scrounge as many points as possible. I really hope she gets her 3A. She skates smart as well as her other qualities.

katymay

Medalist

Wow! Big surprises and movements in placements after the short. What are your thoughts on the Free Skate? Overall Ladies' event? Placements and performances?
The Mariah I watched in practice was well trained and confident: , she was hitting all the jumps etc. I guess 'nerves' came into play, still gutted for her. Brady has two very sophisticated programs, not sure she is comfortable with the choreo just yet, but as hard as she works, she will get there. Amber was the best I've ever seen her skate-I think that was the 'nationals' moment. From watching practice: Gracie Gold has the best jumps of all the women competing. But you can't do a jump, and then need to rest. If she can find a way to build her stamina back-and actually have conditioning that is at a competitive level-she could actually make the Olympic team. And I never thought I would say that in a million years.

katymay

Medalist
Imo, Lori delivered with Sui and Han, but a lot of her programs in recent years were a complete miss for me (especially for Boyang!)
I don’t think she made a good program for Alysa.
Agree. Loved Alysa's short program, but her long was almost boring.

Nocturne

On the Ice
Its this type of thing that cost her gold at the JGPF and the silver at junior worlds last year. If she doesn't get her quads and 3A back full force she's not going to fare well against Kamila and Daria. And on top of that compared to what they did at Russian nationals she came across as extremely juvenile here. The free program Lori gave her was weak
Well, I guess it's good that opinions differ. For me, Alysa's skate was very enjoyable and I really liked her FS program. Great music cool choreography and her performance is so charming and engaging. Kamila's Bolero is none of that for me.
But I agree that URs are costing Alysa a lot.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Can‘t lie, the other thought I had watching the FS was why can’t we have Russian Nationals more often. Like every week or 2.

Amei said it much better than me in the SP thread on Thursday:
They can have it every day as far as I’m concerned. I never watch it.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Mariah I watched in practice was well trained and confident: , she was hitting all the jumps etc. I guess 'nerves' came into play, still gutted for her. Brady has two very sophisticated programs, not sure she is comfortable with the choreo just yet, but as hard as she works, she will get there. Amber was the best I've ever seen her skate-I think that was the 'nationals' moment. From watching practice: Gracie Gold has the best jumps of all the women competing. But you can't do a jump, and then need to rest. If she can find a way to build her stamina back-and actually have conditioning that is at a competitive level-she could actually make the Olympic team. And I never thought I would say that in a million years.
I keep telling people to never count my Gracie out. It’s beyond me how she could possibly be out of condition. She works outrageously hard. Maybe Covid related?

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Repeating some comments I made in other threads...
  • The placements were fair. I think the judging and callers were good - not the typical blindness to UR we usually see at US Nats.
  • Bradie's programs are different. After sitting through a bunch of depressing emo whining vocals, I appreciate them more than I did in isolation.
  • Alysa is a much better skater than she was. Forget the jumps and placement. She has improved.
  • Although an unsuccessful attempt, I'm glad Amber went for the 3A in the SP. Gutsy.
I was 50/50 on even investing the time to watch the ladies event, but I'm glad I did.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Repeating some comments I made in other threads...
  • The placements were fair. I think the judging and callers were good - not the typical blindness to UR we usually see at US Nats.
  • Bradie's programs are different. After sitting through a bunch of depressing emo whining vocals, I appreciate them more than I did in isolation.
  • Alysa is a much better skater than she was. Forget the jumps and placement. She has improved.
  • Although an unsuccessful attempt, I'm glad Amber went for the 3A in the SP. Gutsy.
I was 50/50 on even investing the time to watch the ladies event, but I'm glad I did.
I am very proud of Bradie. Most of you know that I had picked her all season as the skater I wanted to win it all. I am also shocked and happy for Amber. Congratulations to all the skaters on what must have been a tough season to get through. With the Vaccine rolling out,I hope we'll never have to deal with this situation again.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Gracie has her triple triple.
It was good to see her at least try it. It wasn't clean and it wasn't nearly as big, fast or powerful Its a tough year for everyone with Covid but her skatingto be objective has notreally progressed much or at all fromlast year. I guess we'll see if she makes it on to the olympic team nextyear. I am not overly optimistic right now. Not only is her skating slower, heavierr, more laboured but her artistry has not matured or developed. I was hoping that's what we would see with age and experience.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
They had the fake crowd applause/cheer at the same level though out the whole night which no real audience is. It would have been nice if they had someone at a control panel or something and give it some variety. Louder cheers at a programs climax, cheers of encouragement when they want to lift someone up, clapping, etc. Or maybe that would be too odd and distracting
I don't think it would be fair if one person, or a small few, running a control panel had that kind of control over response to a program. Such a person could really pump up a favorite and screw someone he or she didn't like. Much more fair if they all have the exact same canned response. Weird, yes, but better (by the skaters' reports) than the almost complete absence of applause.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Bradie won this fair and square. I am not ahge fan of her skating but even with the very kind call or no call in thespfor the triple triple she still was by far the most solid skakterr technically and artistically. Yes, she is no Michelle Kwan and is not super but she is THE competitor and during Covid great skates. Very generous scoring but hey it is nationals. Good on Amber and she has guts to try the 3A. Karen would have been more of a threat but for the UR's. Mariah must have felt the pressure what a huge disappointment. Good on Lieu for getting the pewter. She is still on schedule to make the olympics. Oveall decent skates and competition. A little disappointed not only in Bell but Pooja an star. I personally am a bit sad to watch Gracie. We all love a good comeback story but watching her to me and I know she has tonnes of fans is a bit sad The life, the light the joy is gone. Ijust want her to know she is a champion no matter what but and it is her decision I wonder why is she skating. At least to me it is like she is not fully there. But I think we all hope for the best. I am reminded though there are so many wonderful ladies each with their own story and only a few medals and a few spots to worlds and olympics.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Bradie -- omg, so thrilled for her.
Mariah -- Nerves got to her, I think. When she finally settled down and relaxed into her knees, she was skating well -- but too little, too late. I feel so awful for her.
Alysa -- looking great! I would bet she'll be back to full form soon, and meanwhile, her attitude about the whole thing (enjoying skating and competing, serious and dedicated about her training but doesn't make competition results about her self worth, etc.) is something I wish we could bottle and sell! just amazing. I loved seeing her smile, and her reaction to her friends and family on the Zoom screen background.
Amber -- jumping for joy she did so well. Love her fire in her programs, and her evident enthusiasm for the whole experience. She was clapping and jumping for the other medalists in the awards ceremony (such as it was able to be) -- just seemed so genuinely happy for herself AND for the others. eta and oh, my goodness, the grit to have the skates she did with such a large infection -- foot to knee! Wow. But still skated so well -- I can't imagine. Very admirable.
Karen -- she's exquisite. But obviously needs to clean up her UR, if stronger results are important to her -- although part of me has the impression she just likes to do what she does/do her thing, and let the chips fall where they may -- and nothing wrong with that!

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I love Liu, and hope she gets her jumps back, please, please, please...🙏 also, Glen’s short was bleak to me, but boy, i loved her free skate. There was some life in that! Chen, if I take a guess, must be one of the skaters’ skaters 😇 because everyone loves her and I just... don’t. But Tennell brings on her sort of blunt force as always, and takes the cake with it.

oh, and, yes, I am going to echo everyone’s sentiment about Bell... I just totally get sad when the failures like that happen 🥲🤧

Last edited:

Thrashergurl

On the Ice
Bradie isn’t really a skater I enjoy watching, but she did deserve her win. She’s still very awkward to me and her packaging seems to age her 20 years, but she lands the jumps and she is a tough competitor
Amber skated lights out and so many felt she should’ve won. She’s very humble and the skaters all supported her amazing skate.
Karen was beautiful. She’s definitely a skaters skater. A little work on getting her rotations cleaned up and she could be winning.
Alysa is beautiful. I couldn’t get over her going from young child to a beautiful girl. She has the fire and I think she’ll get those difficult jumps back
Mariah, Mariah, Mariah. This was hers to lose, and she did. That’s the problem with the media and hype. I feel bad for her, but hopefully it will make her a stronger competitor. She’s cute as a button and had a great attitude.
I will always, always want Gracie to win. I see her improvements and progress. I hope she doesn’t give up.
I also really like what I see in some of the up and coming girls. It’s not over for US skating. I wouldn’t count anyone out

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She’s still very awkward to me and her packaging seems to age her 20 years,
Agree.

22 going on 60.

Got to start projecting some youthful exuberance. Technically she is a lot better than her competition and if she skates clean she won’t be caught, but once the performance is over you want to get some warm milk and go to bed, even if it’s 7:30pm. Haha

It’s not that hard to actually make her look her age.

Last edited:

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Thoughts:
have to point out, Finley hawk is not a skater who should be skating to Carmen. Not in the least. I'm disappointed in coaching teams that allow this kind of mismatch. I found her skating style one of the dullest of the ladies event.
Violeta had a beautiful dress, those types of colors would look good on bradie, too.
Doesn't the constant rippon arms really derail hanna's jumps? I know she's injured, or getting over injury, but whyyyyyy the constant aloft arms?
Starr mightve had the weakest planned technical content, I think?

kirauza343

On the Ice
I think Bradie could benefit from an edgier hairstyle. Not having the bun could make a world of difference because her costumes and programs are fantastic but the bun’s a little too restrained for them. She did such a fantastic job her though and definitely deserved the win!

Alysa did so well, and I hate that she ended up falling to fourth but Amber and Karen also did amazing! A dream top four, and I can’t believe we actually got a clean Amber free!