2021 US Nationals: Men's FS - Thoughts and Observations | Golden Skate

2021 US Nationals: Men's FS - Thoughts and Observations

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What are your thoughts on the Men's FS? Which skater do you feel showed the most improvement since last year and why? Which of the programs were your favorite?

Last edited:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
The skater who was the most surprising was Yaroslav Paniot - I've probably seen the news that this Ukranian skater wished to skate for the US but I didn't expect much - who really delivered. Loved Maxim's skate because of the step sequence, and also Jimmy Ma (whose dog we all know now). A pity Jason Brown fell on his quad, but he still remains a beautiful skater to watch. Nathan had some issues at the beginning, but still delivered and Vincent could have done better (I think), but still managed to show a real bit of musicality. Nice night.

Amei

Record Breaker
Yaro Paniot has stepped up his games big time. I wonder if he'd beat Jason next year, could he get US citizenship in time for the Olympics?

Based on wikipedia he started training in the US at some point in 2014, even if we say 1/1/2015, we are in January 2021 - I would think he's a least satisfied the residency requirement.

katymay

Medalist
Yaro gets some major air on his quad flip!. If his skating skills improve he will be a threat for the top 3. Enjoyed Jason Brown as usual-what a showman, fun program! Nathan? Well, the music starts to get on my nerves, and he seems like he is having issues skating slowly enough to fit the music, then there isn't enough speed into the quads, of course, not that this affects him. Loved Nathan's short program, but not a fan of his long program-I was actually bored. It just wasn't very special, and I guess I've started to expect Nathan to always bring 'special' to his skates.

clovertree71

Rinkside
The top six did so great, although there were bobbles here and there... still, awesome job to the men. Shout out to Yaro, Maxim, and Jimmy Ma. Never expected those three to finish in the top 6. I look forward to seeing what young, hungry guys like Yaro and Maxim can do in the future. I wanted better for Tomoki, I hope he will come back better.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I really like Nathan's short. I appreciate the long program without really liking it.

Really pleased at Vincent's development.

Yaroslav is a podium threat next year if he continues on this track. Elvis was fun!

I wasn't familiar with Naumov before now, but I'm a fan.

The next to last group was terrible. People used to gripe when the networks would only show the final group, and I won't be shocked if they go back to that format. It was painful viewing.

This competition really needed Torgashev and Malinin.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Based on wikipedia he started training in the US at some point in 2014, even if we say 1/1/2015, we are in January 2021 - I would think he's a least satisfied the residency requirement.

Maybe, but I think it would be highly doubtful he would get citizenship by 2022. Here is an interview with Alex Krasnozhon (who having started the process in 2018 had just obtained his green card in October)

I do not know when or if Yaro has started the process. I think I saw he last represented Ukraine in November 2018, so if he started even in December 2018, that's cutting it close🤷‍♀️

Amei

Record Breaker
Maybe, but I think it would be highly doubtful he would get citizenship by 2022. Here is an interview with Alex Krasnozhon (who having started the process in 2018 had just obtained his green card in October)

I do not know when or if Yaro has started the process. I think I saw he last represented Ukraine in November 2018, so if he started even in December 2018, that's cutting it close🤷‍♀️

Representing Ukraine in a competition in 2018 doesn't impact US citizenship.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Representing Ukraine in a competition in 2018 doesn't impact US citizenship. I know residency in the US is a requirement to gain citizenship and he's lived/trained in the US since late 2014.
I only used that reference to show it was likely he was still a Ukranian citizen at that time. In any event, he was definitely a citizen in February 2018, when he represented Ukraine at the Olympics.

Residency allows him to start the process; many folks, as I'm sure everyone knows, live for extended periods of time here without ever starting the process. Yaro may very well have started the citizenship process at the same time as Alex, and if he has, then he would be on the same timetable. Sadly, the State Department has been impacted by the pandemic and the process has not gotten any faster.

Amei

Record Breaker
I only used that reference to show it was likely he was still a Ukranian citizen at that time. In any event, he was definitely a citizen in February 2018, when he represented Ukraine at the Olympics.

Residency allows him to start the process; many folks, as I'm sure everyone knows, live for extended periods of time here without ever starting the process. Yaro may very well have started the citizenship process at the same time as Alex, and if he has, then he would be on the same timetable. Sadly, the State Department has been impacted by the pandemic and the process has not gotten any faster.

Terry does mention at the start of his FS that he's working on his citizenship, don't know where he's at in the process but he has started.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPIW3usP2l8

Amei

Record Breaker
I have never seen, nor have I heard of the young man who placed 4th. I guess I'll have to do some research as he was a very nice surprise.

I had neither, though I will say I think this is the first Elvis program we've had where someone did some Elvis-esque hip/leg action https://youtu.be/kPIW3usP2l8?t=212

**Edit to add: if he was slightly more known, I think he would have been third.

happycamper2554

On the Ice
Paniot is barred by Ukraine for representing another country for 3 years. Not sure if this is years or seasons. That is where the 2018 NHK could come into play.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I had neither, though I will say I think this is the first Elvis program we've had where someone did some Elvis-esque hip/leg action https://youtu.be/kPIW3usP2l8?t=212

**Edit to add: if he was slightly more known, I think he would have been third.

Nicolas Nadeau channeled Elvis with a smile and some hip action

And Yaro was not going to be third in this comp as long as they still count SPs in total scores;). Where Jason was underscored in PCS for that masterpiece. And Yaro was accurately scored for what he did in the LP, as was Jason.

Every year a "new" face appears at Nats and has some quads, and every year there is a cry, oh, Jason better watch out next year. Yet only when Jason beats himself (2018), does that "next year" where Jason disappears happen. Not saying it won't, but Jason fans have seen it over and over again :)