advice on edea sizing?? | Golden Skate

advice on edea sizing??

anniesun

Spectator
i was hoping someone would be able to help me. i don't have the option of seeing a fitter right now. i have been looking at a pair of secondhand ice flys that are a good price because i've been wanting to try switching to edea. in the past i've worn riedell and more recently, jacksons. i did have my most recent riedells fitted and the pro shop swore they were the right size- 5.5- but they caused me such severe pain i could not stay on the ice longer than ten minutes at a time. it turns out they are very much too narrow for my feet even though i got the widest boot available. i picked up a pair of jackson mystiques this past fall in a size 7.5c after measuring my feet at home and while they worked decently well, they are too long and too wide so i've been skating in them in very thick socks and even still i have to tie them very tightly and i struggle with heel lift. i also experienced quite a bit of arch pain and i feel like the boots don't have high enough arches. i've heard that edeas have higher arches which is why im looking to them. i realize ice fly is quite a bit above the mystique boot but i don't feel like i will be overbooting myself. i am 22, 5'3 and around 90 pounds and i'm working on double jumps. i picked up the mystiques to use at an outdoor rink that i wasn't able to jump at anyway so i didn't need super supportive boots but they have already mostly broken down. the pair of ice flys im looking at are a 250c but my feet only measure just over 241mm. i feel like a 245 would be too small because i wouldn't even have a full 4mm of space, especially once i add socks. i know the best answer is to find a fitter and i would if that were an option but it sadly isn't right now so im trying to do the best with what i've got and really hoping someone knows the answer lol. thanks so much and sorry for the long winded explanation!!

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
In addition to the above, if you're only 90lbs then it's extremely likely you don't have the weight and jump height (just a guess because muscle weighs a lot, especially the amount needed for jump power) to need Ice Fly or break in an Ice Fly properly. Chorus would match your skill level much better if you do decide to go with Edea. A boot that is too much for you will cause the same pain you were complaining about in your arch, ankle pain, and the possibility of injury.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
i was hoping someone would be able to help me. i don't have the option of seeing a fitter right now. i have been looking at a pair of secondhand ice flys that are a good price because i've been wanting to try switching to edea. in the past i've worn riedell and more recently, jacksons. i did have my most recent riedells fitted and the pro shop swore they were the right size- 5.5- but they caused me such severe pain i could not stay on the ice longer than ten minutes at a time. it turns out they are very much too narrow for my feet even though i got the widest boot available. i picked up a pair of jackson mystiques this past fall in a size 7.5c after measuring my feet at home and while they worked decently well, they are too long and too wide so i've been skating in them in very thick socks and even still i have to tie them very tightly and i struggle with heel lift. i also experienced quite a bit of arch pain and i feel like the boots don't have high enough arches. i've heard that edeas have higher arches which is why im looking to them. i realize ice fly is quite a bit above the mystique boot but i don't feel like i will be overbooting myself. i am 22, 5'3 and around 90 pounds and i'm working on double jumps. i picked up the mystiques to use at an outdoor rink that i wasn't able to jump at anyway so i didn't need super supportive boots but they have already mostly broken down. the pair of ice flys im looking at are a 250c but my feet only measure just over 241mm. i feel like a 245 would be too small because i wouldn't even have a full 4mm of space, especially once i add socks. i know the best answer is to find a fitter and i would if that were an option but it sadly isn't right now so im trying to do the best with what i've got and really hoping someone knows the answer lol. thanks so much and sorry for the long winded explanation!!
You don't need an Edea and definitely not an ice fly. Edea's are not good for high arches and it seems like at least part of your feet are wide, but not very wide. I agree with @axelanika and @WednesdayMarch and their advice.

anniesun

Spectator
You don't need an Edea and definitely not an ice fly. Edea's are not good for high arches and it seems like at least part of your feet are wide, but not very wide. I agree with @axelanika and @WednesdayMarch and their advice.
yes, my feet are quite wide at the ball (evidently not wide enough for the jackson c width because without lacing much tighter than i normally would i have issues with sliding side to side) but i also have a very narrow heel and quite high arches. i skated comfortably in riedell as a child but in the past five years or so since my feet have... matured?... i've had so much trouble with every boot i've tried that i even just quit for a while altogether. i don't have the finances to try every boot on the market until one fits or get customs so i'm really trying to make an educated decision before i spend hundreds of dollars only to have ill fitting boots again. i struggle slightly staying forward on my rocker in spins and i was hoping edea's higher heel and shorter blades would help me correct that. would insoles help with the arch support?

Elija

On the Ice
I would not buy edeas second hand if you do decide to go the edea route - they can be really broken down or stretched out without looking like it and you can’t tell. The memory foam will also be moulded to someone else’s foot.

also, I think 250 would be too big. As an adult with fully grown feet you should have no more than 5mm of space at the front and should be wearing the thinnest socks possible. A lot of skate shops do remote fitting - perhaps you could talk to them about your feet and get fitted remotely if you really can’t make it to a shop?

Leo11Ha

Rinkside
My edea Concertos are set to arrive in 2 days, I'm nervous that it's going to be too big (I had 240s before and now I'm getting 250s). Any advice?

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
yes, my feet are quite wide at the ball (evidently not wide enough for the jackson c width because without lacing much tighter than i normally would i have issues with sliding side to side) but i also have a very narrow heel and quite high arches. i skated comfortably in riedell as a child but in the past five years or so since my feet have... matured?... i've had so much trouble with every boot i've tried that i even just quit for a while altogether. i don't have the finances to try every boot on the market until one fits or get customs so i'm really trying to make an educated decision before i spend hundreds of dollars only to have ill fitting boots again. i struggle slightly staying forward on my rocker in spins and i was hoping edea's higher heel and shorter blades would help me correct that. would insoles help with the arch support?
Everyone's feet change shape over time. Again, I would not get the edeas, with what you are telling me with your foot shape, arches, etc. You're definitely going to need a proper fitting so you're not risking getting the wrong boots and throwing money away to find the right ones. As far as not being able to stay forward on your rocker, that's more of a blade thing, than boot. What blade are you currently using?

anniesun

Spectator
Everyone's feet change shape over time. Again, I would not get the edeas, with what you are telling me with your foot shape, arches, etc. You're definitely going to need a proper fitting so you're not risking getting the wrong boots and throwing money away to find the right ones. As far as not being able to stay forward on your rocker, that's more of a blade thing, than boot. What blade are you currently using?
i've been using the eclipse astra blades which came on my riedells and i've hated them the whole time. i got these boots/blades before i started working on doubles though and i know they're rated lower. i can still barely do basic level spins because i can't stay on the rocker. the blades on the mystiques are the mark II and i have spun a bit on those and found it slightly easier to stay forward but i got those boots for recreational purposes and mostly used them for stroking. but i did put about 25 hours a week on them for six weeks (the duration of the holiday rink where i was employed) and they have broken down to the point that at the end i was retying multiple times per session to try and get better support. i did like those blades more than the astras though.

anniesun

Spectator
I have high arches. Hated Edea. Risport, however, are lovely. Ic3Rabbit is the expert in this area and I'm sure she'll pop up soon, but in the meantime you could look at the RF3 Pro. It's a very good boot indeed.
are risports sizing similar to edea? example i measure a 241.3mm so would i also be in a size 245 in risport?

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
OP, your feet sound like mine which are the typical Jackson shape (wider ball than heel), except that I have medium but very collapsible arches. Maybe you could give Jackson another chance? I agree with Ic3Rabbit (whose advice incidentally helped fix my former boot problem), Edeas probably wouldn't suit your foot type.

You mentioned your old Mystiques were oversized, which can cause arch pain since the foot tries to grip something while swimming around in a huge boot. I had that problem before with my old boots, which incidentally were Edea Chorus. I also had bad heel slippage in my Edeas (couldn't get a decent heel lock no matter how I laced them up). I tried Risports for a bit, but am now in Jacksons. These, plus orthotic insoles, helped a lot to reduce my arch pain and stop my feet from moving around in the boot.

By the way, I think Jackson Mystiques are on a different last - not split width. The Jackson 2000/5000 series are split width, which may suit you better.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
i've been using the eclipse astra blades which came on my riedells and i've hated them the whole time. i got these boots/blades before i started working on doubles though and i know they're rated lower. i can still barely do basic level spins because i can't stay on the rocker. the blades on the mystiques are the mark II and i have spun a bit on those and found it slightly easier to stay forward but i got those boots for recreational purposes and mostly used them for stroking. but i did put about 25 hours a week on them for six weeks (the duration of the holiday rink where i was employed) and they have broken down to the point that at the end i was retying multiple times per session to try and get better support. i did like those blades more than the astras though.

are risports sizing similar to edea? example i measure a 241.3mm so would i also be in a size 245 in risport?
Eclipse blades are flatter in the rocker. Look into John Wilson Cornonation Ace or MK Professional.

And the question you asked @WednesdayMarch, all boot companies fit different and measure different. So no, you can't get a Risport fit off an Edea. I was going to suggest a Jackson, but you'd probably need a semi-custom boot which means you really need a good fitter.

ETA: You should not wear very thick socks in your boots while skating.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I'm really sorry but I don't know! My feet measure 238mm and I wear a 245 Risport Royal. Many years ago, I used to wear a 240 Risport Super Diamant but my feet are old and sore and wider now, so I went with the next size up. Also worth noting that I didn't go to a fitter as I live hundreds of miles away from any form of skate shop, but I'm an ancient ex-pro skater so have a fair idea of what I'm doing and what I need. I also check everything with Ic3Rabbit first. She's The Oracle. :)

Elija

On the Ice
My edea Concertos are set to arrive in 2 days, I'm nervous that it's going to be too big (I had 240s before and now I'm getting 250s). Any advice?
Advice on what?
Why did you buy two sizes bigger? Are your feet growing? If that’s the case they’re probably fine.

Leo11Ha

Rinkside
Advice on what?
Why did you buy two sizes bigger? Are your feet growing? If that’s the case they’re probably fine.
Whoops! Sorry for being unclear, yes my feet are growing and the old skates feel tight but I'm just worried that I may have skipped too much (in order to save some money for the coming years, lol).

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Whoops! Sorry for being unclear, yes my feet are growing and the old skates feel tight but I'm just worried that I may have skipped too much (in order to save some money for the coming years, lol).
You really shouldn't be playing a guessing game with your boot size. See a fitter and have them do their thing to help you.

Elija

On the Ice
You really shouldn't be playing a guessing game with your boot size. See a fitter and have them do their thing to help you.
And I don’t think anyone can really give you any advice on that without knowing your foot length. Too late anyway I guess since you’ve already ordered them. Hope they fit!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
And I don’t think anyone can really give you any advice on that without knowing your foot length. Too late anyway I guess since you’ve already ordered them. Hope they fit!
:scratch2: IDK why you quoted me and not the OP who I'm trying to help. And IDK if I misunderstand the mood of the post, but it seems rude. No need for that, just help the OP, and if not interested then don't reply. :shrug:

Last edited:

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
When you buy a boot big, it will break down prematurely not saving you money. I'd also give a second thought to this because wearing a boot that you are slipping in can cause injuries that may need surgery, a pretty expensive process that will also impact your skating for up to a year.

I believe most of the time you can return boots as long as there is no blade attached and no modifications made but that depends on where you buy and you might not get all your money back.

Elija

On the Ice
:scratch2: IDK why you quoted me and not the OP who I'm trying to help. And IDK if I misunderstand the mood of the post, but it seems rude. No need for that, just help the OP, and if not interested then don't reply. :shrug:
Cause i was trying to follow on with your point about guessing at sizes. It wasn’t rude. I just don’t think there’s anything anyone can help with if they have already ordered the boots so I wished them all the best and hoped they fit, that’s it. OP hopefully you can return if they don’t fit.