2020-21 South Korean Figure Skating | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2020-21 South Korean Figure Skating

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
So are we not going to get any performance what so ever for the rest of the season ?
I literally have no idea, the ranking competition and Nats are currently still postponed and not cancelled but we'll have to see covid cases numbers and general goings-on.

Briananing

On the Ice
I literally have no idea, the ranking competition and Nats are currently still postponed and not cancelled but we'll have to see covid cases numbers and general goings-on.
it surprised me that i always felt korean skaters always have to attend so many domestic competitions in one season, even when they were the obvious winners and are in the middle of preparation for international events. But when they actually need some, there isn't any. Of course i know there is a pandemic, but i subscribe to Strictly dumpling and a lot of restaurants in korea seems packed and those who films for tv shows doesn't seem to wear any as well. I wonder why we can't have some competitions. Even online one was fine. Do other sports events also get canceled ?

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
it surprised me that i always felt korean skaters always have to attend so many domestic competitions in one season, even when they were the obvious winners and are in the middle of preparation for international events. But when they actually need some, there isn't any. Of course i know there is a pandemic, but i subscribe to Strictly dumpling and a lot of restaurants in korea seems packed and those who films for tv shows doesn't seem to wear any as well. I wonder why we can't have some competitions. Even online one was fine. Do other sports events also get canceled ?
I can't say I'm up-to-date on the overall sports situation but as far as I know a lot of other sporting events aren't also happening, and you can't compare sporting events with restaurants for a number of reasons including that people can't go without food. As for TV shows, every staff member wears a mask and all the cast have to go through safety measures including temperature checks before filming. Most of all the covid case numbers are still quite high here, just because restaurants operate and people on TV doesn't seem to have their masks on doesn't mean everything's fine. I'm also worried about the lack of competitions for our skaters but on the bright side, none of our skaters have tested positive.

By the way, an online competition is probably not going to happen, KSU is way too incompetent to organize such an event and also ensure fairness.

gotoschool

Medalist
Given the following information, what do you think will happen with South Korea in regards to selection or participation in the World championships and the Olympics, if as it appears Nationals doesn't happen? It appears March 1 is the deadline for receiving a list of entries. That is basically only one month away. Will it be based on last year's results or will they be forbidden to go which sounds really sad and extreme? I really hope a team is able to go.

I certainly have missed South Korean women skaters this season, especially Haein Lee, though it was great to see Young You skate a couple of times.

The ISU World Figure Skating Championships remain scheduled as planned, to be held in Stockholm, Sweden on March 22-28, 2021. Since these Championships serve as a Qualification Competition for the 2022 Olympic Winter Games in Beijing, the Council will review the Olympic Qualification status at its next meeting. Depending on the actual entries received by the deadline of March 1, 2021, the ISU Council will evaluate and decide at that time whether and which changes to the Olympic qualification system could be necessary.

Last edited:

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Given the following information, what do you think will happen with South Korea in regards to selection or participation in the World championships and the Olympics, if as it appears Nationals doesn't happen? It appears March 1 is the deadline for receiving a list of entries. That is basically only one month away. Will it be based on last year's results or will they be forbidden to go which sounds really sad and extreme? I really hope a team is able to go.

I certainly have missed South Korean women skaters this season, especially Haein Lee, though it was great to see Young You skate a couple of times.

The ISU World Figure Skating Championships remain scheduled as planned, to be held in Stockholm, Sweden on March 22-28, 2021. Since these Championships serve as a Qualification Competition for the 2022 Olympic Winter Games in Beijing, the Council will review the Olympic Qualification status at its next meeting. Depending on the actual entries received by the deadline of March 1, 2021, the ISU Council will evaluate and decide at that time whether and which changes to the Olympic qualification system could be necessary.
Since KSU is KSU they're going to try to make Nats happen to decide the team for Worlds if they decide to send our skaters, which is honestly up in the air. Short Track and Speed Skating aren't sending any skaters to their respective Worlds but they don't have Olympic spots on the line. And Nats might happen, case numbers have been on a decline and safety regulations could be lowered if it continues to decline. But then, Lunar New Year is in two weeks so even if regulations are relaxed I don't know how the schedule would go. We can't have our skaters skate at the biggest domestic competition there is without giving them at least the minimal amount of training time, and then if case numbers go up again after the inevitable congregation of people due to family gatherings for the holidays the restrictions might kick in again. I honestly don't know.

If Nats doesn't take place as you assume, well, KSU is going to have to come up with selection criteria that don't require actual competitions. I have no idea what they might be, maybe they'd reuse the National Team selection criteria(ranking competition+Nats) and apply it to last season's results. Or it might be something new. There's no precedent for this so your guess is as good as mine.

In short, we can't do anything but wait for KSU to announce whether a team will be sent to Worlds (if it isn't cancelled at the last possible moment, last year anyone), if so how the team will be decided, and if Nats has to take place for that to happen how they'll manage to pull that off. We're all in a state of limbo. I'll update if there's any news, but I've given up on guessing what'll happen because my mental state isn't stable enough for that amount of stress due to uncertainty.

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
News update: according to this article (https://n.news.naver.com/sports/general/article/001/0012173055?) KSU is a)planning on sending our skaters to Worlds (because Olympic spots) and b)trying to make the Ranking Competition and Nats take place to decide the entries (as expected). Now in order for competitions to happen safety restriction levels have to go down to 2.0 (it's a 1.0-1.5-2.0-2.5-3.0 scale system) and we're currently on 2.5, as I mentioned case numbers have been declining and a government update on whether restrictions will be relaxed to 2.0 is scheduled on February 1st. KSU is planning on scheduling both the Ranking Competition and Nats if indeed restriction levels are lowered to 2.0.

KSU's insistence of also holding the Ranking Competition, while absolutely facepalm-worthy, is because it's half of the criteria for National Team selection and this season's selection is going to carry over to Olympic season. But it also raises the question of how in the names of all deities above can not one but two competitions happen within just a month, especially when most skaters lack training due to ice rinks being closed. This is not even taking the Lunar New Year holidays into account. I have a million questions and a headache.

I'll update with further news as it comes along, I have my concerns but KSU will be KSU and so far nothing is certain yet.

Last edited:

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Update on safety restrictions: it's going to stay at level 2.5 at least until the end of Lunar New Year(2.11-13), so KSU has two weeks to make two competitions happen if and only if the restrictions are lowered after the holidays, about which I am not optimistic. I literally have zero idea on what KSU is going to do now, maybe they'll try to figure out criteria that don't require competitions or they'll just be KSU. Will keep the updates coming.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Can you please tell me what is up with the Korean ladies this season? I see a lot of them are training quads and 3As. Is Haien Lee one of the juniors doing so?

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Can you please tell me what is up with the Korean ladies this season? I see a lot of them are training quads and 3As. Is Haien Lee one of the juniors doing so?
So I'd also love to know what's up with our ladies too, we aren't getting much updates. Bear that in mind plus the fact that I may be out of the loop with training situations (real life is trying to drag me down these days), here's what I know regarding 3A/quads and our ladies:

- Young obviously has her 3A, and I'd assume that she's continuing on training quads. Based on interviews and video clips she's tried out 4S, 4Lo, and 4Lz so far. I don't know how far she's gotten with them though.
- Haein was supposed to come up to seniors so I wouldn't call her a junior anymore, but at last WSF practice she was spotted trying out 3As and marking a 4T. Again, I have no idea on how they're looking now.
- My beloved Seoyoung (Wi) has been spotted trying out a 3A in harness, don't know whether she's tried out quads. I wouldn't call her a junior either, when JGP was cancelled this season it was basically decided she's coming up.
- Seoyeon has landed a 3A in practice and has tried a 4Lo in harness. She's the leading junior regarding 3As/quads.
- I think it's Yeonjeong in coach Hong Yeseul's video on instagram working on a 3A and trying a 4F in harness, but don't quote me on that because my scatterbrained self doesn't have the most reliable memory.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Oh, thank you!

Also, since they simply have to be put through the ranking comps... are they even going to show up at worlds?! It would be strange for them to not have the opportunity to get spots for the Olympics just because they couldn't do the ranking competition in Korea!

KSU's insistence of also holding the Ranking Competition, while absolutely facepalm-worthy, is because it's half of the criteria for National Team selection and this season's selection is going to carry over to Olympic season.

They can just let worlds determine who seems prepared, or do it in the off-season! How ridiculous. I think even Kim Yuna was forced to do ranking competitions. :palmf:

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Also, since they simply have to be put through the ranking comps... are they even going to show up at worlds?! It would be strange for them to not have the opportunity to get spots for the Olympics just because they couldn't do the ranking competition in Korea!
Technically speaking, Nats is what decides Worlds entries (the Ranking Competition decides 4CC entries). But KSU is KSU and they are not going to change the National Team selection criteria, which also require the Ranking Competition, so KSU's probably not going to skip the Ranking Competition and focus on Nats. And that's if somehow competitions are actually able to take place. Will we have a team at Worlds? I don't know. As I said, I have a headache.
They can just let worlds determine who seems prepared, or do it in the off-season! How ridiculous. I think even Kim Yuna was forced to do ranking competitions. :palmf:
Yes, even the Queen had to do all the domestic competitions. And changing existing criteria or traditions isn't going to happen. Welcome to KSU.

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Will you have Olympic spots though, and how?
I literally have no idea. Maybe a team will somehow be sent to Worlds. Maybe everybody in the National Team will compete at Nebelhorn. Maybe there'll be more Olympic qualifying competitions. Maybe Worlds won't be an Olympic qualifier. Maybe Worlds will be canceled at the last possible moment. I don't think any of us knows.

Last edited:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Any news on Jun? I can't remember if he's in Canada or in South Korea, I don't remember seeing an Instagram post from him in quite some time.

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Any news on Jun? I can't remember if he's in Canada or in South Korea, I don't remember seeing an Instagram post from him in quite some time.
Sadly no news, I'm just hoping he's healthy and training well

Edit: As far as I know he's still in Korea

Last edited:

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
...I thought Young was also in Japan? How was she at NHK if she's been in Korea?
Young's in Korea, she went to Japan about a month before NHK (2 weeks quarantine+2 weeks training) and came back after NHK (also 2 weeks quarantine). She's been through a lot.

Dawn825

Medalist
Ok thanks. Well that changes things for Worlds if there is one. I've been assuming she's been in Japan training this whole time and just had a rough outing. I guess even if Korea does send a team to Worlds, she still won't be in great shape. Really unfortunate for Young and Korea, but helpful for the US.

Briananing

On the Ice
In a short interview Young said that she hasn't been working on her quads for a while now, since her coach is in Japan she's only practicing jumps that she can do on her own.
yeah i also don't understand why she is in korea though. Wouldn't it better for her to be training in japan when korea doesnt even have any competition whatsoever and even have some restriction regarding ice time since the pandemic started ? like i remember someone said on twitter that korean skater only has 1 hour ice time each day since the ice ring opened after the restriction being eased. Unlike some US skaters who could "quitely" training when the restriction was on, korean skaters couldn't do that because the ice ring was government owned. Are those informations true ?

But on the positive side, if you young couldn't train her quads, it might be a blessing in a disguise as well and forced her to focus on her other elements and artistry. I mean alysa liu skating skills improvement on nats was a pleasant surprise. But yeah sending skaters to worlds without any competition whatover is a bit too much IMO , i mean we dont want another meltdown like young you in nhk.I dont see why competition without audience can't be held when even live musicals, online concerts, award shows even regular music shows are still being held everyweek but not competition which would determine their spot for THE olympic. Is it possible that KSU might be just too lazy to ask the government for some sort of special treatment even if the safety restriction ain't going down to level 2 after lunar new year holiday ?