ISO: Boot Sizing Advice (Specifically Edea) | Golden Skate

ISO: Boot Sizing Advice (Specifically Edea)

vminskate

Spectator
After doing some reading of various threads on here, I don't think I am alone in this issue. How are you making confident skate purchases during COVID? How are you navigating the sizing for boots when all the skate shops are closed to the public? I skate both ice and roller but primarily roller (outdoor) right now as my ice rink is closed indefinitely. Unfortunately during this time I have basically killed my skate set up and pretty badly need to replace my boot...

Context: My current recreational set up is the Moxi Lolly and my ankles kill me after an hour of skating. I do extremely basic figure skating moves (spiral, half-waltz, half-loop) but like to hop and jump around and skate fast and ideally I do want the option to advance in my jumps. I got the Moxi Lolly as a recreational skate when I was considering dropping roller derby a few years ago and since I did end up dropping derby I switched to using my Lollys pretty much full time. When I was doing figure skating on ice, I liked the Moxi style so I got their ice boot (don't make fun of me lol I am a newbie so it works ok for me) - it is all Riedell product ultimately so sizing and quality was reliable and consistent. (My derby skates are Riedell 495s) I purchased the moxi ice boot knowing I would upgrade eventually but since the rinks have been closed fully for almost a year now it's looking like I probably won't even need to for a while. So that's an up-side I guess.

I found this forum in my search on sizing for Edea boots because I am looking for options that won't break the bank... if that's possible. And the Edea Suono boot is price at a very reasonable $319 (+ $149 for new plates +$30 for mounting = around 500 incl taxes which is extremely reasonable for a new set up!!) but gosh I am nervous about placing an Edea order after the very confusing sizing info I got from their site and the various threads on here. As a custom order they are non-refundable.

The other option I have been considering is the Riedell 336 + CustomColorLab (black and white is out of stock anyway) but pricing on that is a little higher since it's an extra $100 for CustomColorLab (but worth it because, cute).. Unfortunately, cost-wise, the Edea would be the more financially responsible choice (unless of course they don't fit). The Riedell would probably be the safest choice since I already have Riedell everything else and could size myself based around previous purchases. But since the difference is about ~$300 I wanted to see if there was any way I could safely and confidently order the Edea boot instead just to save cost.

I would be placing the order online from the Bruised Boutique skate shop in New Hampshire since they have access to a lot of different vendors and excellent customer service as well as the best custom options (they mount everything in-store and have a wide variety of plates options). They used to be my hometown skate shop when I lived in Massachusetts so I am very familiar with them and they are extremely good at what they do. However, they are closed to the public at the moment and I also live in San Francisco so I wouldn't be able to get fitted there. The only skate shop that would potentially do fittings is the "pro shop" at Yerba Buena Skatebowl and they have been closed completely for months - I think they moved to San Mateo at some point but that doesn't help me either since I don't have a car.

About me: I am 5'4" and like 135-140lb and looking to advance to single jumps but I can't even try in my current set up because I just don't have the support. And there's a lot of "me" to be supported. My arches are average-high and I have seen people say that Edea might not be good for those with high-ish arches but my skate shop of choice does not have access to the Risport brand so I have to stick with either Edea or Riedell. I know Harlick is a good brand but I took them out of the running a long time ago because their pricing seems way out of my range. I think I tried on Jackson boots once at the Yerba Buena skate shop and didn't like the look or feel so I took them out of my choices as well.

TL;DR: Is there any special secrets to Edea boots? What are your tips and tricks for sizing during this time? Should I just cough up the extra $300 and get the Riedell since it's a brand I know and trust and will likely have an easier time sizing? In general, I am curious about people's opinions of Edea boots as well - do you have Edea boots and what are your thoughts? I have a very average foot all around - US Women's size 8, average width, average instep/arch (perhaps a little bit high but not super high - I use superfeet in all my other skates and run in Hoka One One shoes).

Any advice? BIG thank you in advance for anything you are able to offer.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
After doing some reading of various threads on here, I don't think I am alone in this issue. How are you making confident skate purchases during COVID? How are you navigating the sizing for boots when all the skate shops are closed to the public? I skate both ice and roller but primarily roller (outdoor) right now as my ice rink is closed indefinitely. Unfortunately during this time I have basically killed my skate set up and pretty badly need to replace my boot...

Context: My current recreational set up is the Moxi Lolly and my ankles kill me after an hour of skating. I do extremely basic figure skating moves (spiral, half-waltz, half-loop) but like to hop and jump around and skate fast and ideally I do want the option to advance in my jumps. I got the Moxi Lolly as a recreational skate when I was considering dropping roller derby a few years ago and since I did end up dropping derby I switched to using my Lollys pretty much full time. When I was doing figure skating on ice, I liked the Moxi style so I got their ice boot (don't make fun of me lol I am a newbie so it works ok for me) - it is all Riedell product ultimately so sizing and quality was reliable and consistent. (My derby skates are Riedell 495s) I purchased the moxi ice boot knowing I would upgrade eventually but since the rinks have been closed fully for almost a year now it's looking like I probably won't even need to for a while. So that's an up-side I guess.

I found this forum in my search on sizing for Edea boots because I am looking for options that won't break the bank... if that's possible. And the Edea Suono boot is price at a very reasonable $319 (+ $149 for new plates +$30 for mounting = around 500 incl taxes which is extremely reasonable for a new set up!!) but gosh I am nervous about placing an Edea order after the very confusing sizing info I got from their site and the various threads on here. As a custom order they are non-refundable.

The other option I have been considering is the Riedell 336 + CustomColorLab (black and white is out of stock anyway) but pricing on that is a little higher since it's an extra $100 for CustomColorLab (but worth it because, cute).. Unfortunately, cost-wise, the Edea would be the more financially responsible choice (unless of course they don't fit). The Riedell would probably be the safest choice since I already have Riedell everything else and could size myself based around previous purchases. But since the difference is about ~$300 I wanted to see if there was any way I could safely and confidently order the Edea boot instead just to save cost.

I would be placing the order online from the Bruised Boutique skate shop in New Hampshire since they have access to a lot of different vendors and excellent customer service as well as the best custom options (they mount everything in-store and have a wide variety of plates options). They used to be my hometown skate shop when I lived in Massachusetts so I am very familiar with them and they are extremely good at what they do. However, they are closed to the public at the moment and I also live in San Francisco so I wouldn't be able to get fitted there. The only skate shop that would potentially do fittings is the "pro shop" at Yerba Buena Skatebowl and they have been closed completely for months - I think they moved to San Mateo at some point but that doesn't help me either since I don't have a car.

About me: I am 5'4" and like 135-140lb and looking to advance to single jumps but I can't even try in my current set up because I just don't have the support. And there's a lot of "me" to be supported. My arches are average-high and I have seen people say that Edea might not be good for those with high-ish arches but my skate shop of choice does not have access to the Risport brand so I have to stick with either Edea or Riedell. I know Harlick is a good brand but I took them out of the running a long time ago because their pricing seems way out of my range. I think I tried on Jackson boots once at the Yerba Buena skate shop and didn't like the look or feel so I took them out of my choices as well.

TL;DR: Is there any special secrets to Edea boots? What are your tips and tricks for sizing during this time? Should I just cough up the extra $300 and get the Riedell since it's a brand I know and trust and will likely have an easier time sizing? In general, I am curious about people's opinions of Edea boots as well - do you have Edea boots and what are your thoughts? I have a very average foot all around - US Women's size 8, average width, average instep/arch (perhaps a little bit high but not super high - I use superfeet in all my other skates and run in Hoka One One shoes).

We deal with figure skating only here and cannot advise you in roller skate boots. If you want help just for figure skating, we can advise (I myself know basically every boot and blade and have worn or tested at some point). Otherwise for roller, not so much.

vminskate

Spectator
Okay yes, my apologies. I was struggling to find information and this forum came up with some interesting opinions about boots so I was hoping there might be similarities. At least with sizing. I guess I will keep looking to see if there are any discussions from artistic roller skaters.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Okay yes, my apologies. I was struggling to find information and this forum came up with some interesting opinions about boots so I was hoping there might be similarities. At least with sizing. I guess I will keep looking to see if there are any discussions from artistic roller skaters.
Here, no. You may see some from those who rollerblade with Pic or Snow White set ups made for figure skaters, but that is it.

ETA: The most I can tell you from a figure skating perspective which should translate over is, if you do have high arches, do not even try EDEA. Riedell works better for that, since you mentioned you can't get Risport.

vminskate

Spectator
Okay thank you for that.

I will say even in my Riedells I found the sole to be extremely flat so I wear inserts in my Moxi Lolly and my 495s. What about the Edea is so bad for high arches? Is it the structure of the rest of the boot?

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Okay thank you for that.

I will say even in my Riedells I found the sole to be extremely flat so I wear inserts in my Moxi Lolly and my 495s. What about the Edea is so bad for high arches? Is it the structure of the rest of the boot?
Again, I can tell you how the figure skating boots fit and in doing so that EDEA is bad/unsupportive for high arches and Riedell is better. IDK about Roller boots and their fit, they are more than likely made a bit different.

ETA: You may want to do a google search for a roller skating forum or something of that nature, they may help you better there.

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
I think your question about 'how do you make confident boot purchases/navigating boot sizes' applies to ice skates as well as roller - I think the only way a skater can be confident without a professional fitting is when they are buying a boot that is the same brand and in the same line as what they've already used. For example, you could be confident going from a Jackson Debut you were properly fitted for to a Jackson Premiere, as they are both in the 2000 series, but not from a Jackson Artiste to a Jackson Debut, as the Artiste is in the Ascend series and uses a different last.

There are too many differences between brands of boots and they aren't sized all the same either (someone who wears a 6 in Jackson probably wears a 5.5 in Riedell). If you're looking for something higher than a recreational boot, you're taking a gamble without a fitting.

Reactions: TQB

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I think your question about 'how do you make confident boot purchases/navigating boot sizes' applies to ice skates as well as roller - I think the only way a skater can be confident without a professional fitting is when they are buying a boot that is the same brand and in the same line as what they've already used. For example, you could be confident going from a Jackson Debut you were properly fitted for to a Jackson Premiere, as they are both in the 2000 series, but not from a Jackson Artiste to a Jackson Debut, as the Artiste is in the Ascend series and uses a different last.

There are too many differences between brands of boots and they aren't sized all the same either (someone who wears a 6 in Jackson probably wears a 5.5 in Riedell). If you're looking for something higher than a recreational boot, you're taking a gamble without a fitting.
Figure boots and roller boots and quite different actually. And as you did suggest, this person would be taking a gamble if they didn't get a proper fitting like we always suggest here. :)

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
@vminskate - I've looked and can see that both the Riedell 336 and the Edea Suomo are traditional-style skating boots (NOT the roller boots that look like athletic shoes). Both look targeted to roller skating use.

My .02 cents: I bought a pair of Moxi Lolly quads for use when our ice rinks were closed. My Lolly's are suede and made by Riedell, but are very thin suede and really not too supportive in the ankle. Comfy - yes! Supportive - no. And that is why your ankles are hurting you after an hour.

I have a wide forefoot, tried on Edea's once and knew they were not for me. You are taking a gamble if you order those Edeas and they don't fit. "The cheap is expensive."
If you really, really, cannot get to a fitter and you really, really need new boots than I would stick with a Riedell boot since you know how they fit. Go up to a model that has more support than the Lolly. Call Riedell up for assistance; they are very nice.

Since you are close to Harlick, you could also make an appt with them and check out their boots too. They are used by roller skaters.

sashavis

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Check reddit. There might be a subreddit for roller skating on there, or you might be able to pose a question in the community.

As we are all figure skaters here, and this is a figure skating forum, you would probably be able to find more accurate information elsewhere!

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Check reddit. There might be a subreddit for roller skating on there, or you might be able to pose a question in the community.

As we are all figure skaters here, and this is a figure skating forum, you would probably be able to find more accurate information elsewhere!
I have roller skated on and off throughout my life so I disagree with your last line impling that only ice skaters are here. Roller skaters do / did figures, and execute amazing tricks on their skates . Boot manufacturers don't just sell their wares to ice skaters so the boot inquire applies.
If you looked into the boots the OP mentioned they are a traditional style skating boot.

sashavis

Rinkside
Country
United-States
I have roller skated on and off throughout my life so I disagree with your last line impling that only ice skaters are here. Roller skaters do / did figures, and execute amazing tricks on their skates . Boot manufacturers don't just sell their wares to ice skaters so the boot inquire applies.
If you looked into the boots the OP mentioned they are a traditional style skating boot.

My apologies--I meant most of us are primarily figure skaters here. I should have clarified that. Also--this IS a figure skating forum. Not to say that people don't do both, just that that's not the main focus of this forum. I know of some of the similarities between roller and figure skating, and never meant to imply that there weren't any. I think both are wonderful disciplines, and I was just merely trying to suggest another resource for OP to check out. The Edea Suomo looks to be a figure roller skating boot, and is listed under their roller section, so I don't think it's a boot designed for anything but roller skating.

Anyways, best of luck to OP, and to sandraskates, I am terribly sorry!! I never meant to be rude in any way, and I'm just happy that we can all try to help everyone to the best of our ability here.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
My apologies--I meant most of us are primarily figure skaters here. I should have clarified that. Also--this IS a figure skating forum. Not to say that people don't do both, just that that's not the main focus of this forum. I know of some of the similarities between roller and figure skating, and never meant to imply that there weren't any. I think both are wonderful disciplines, and I was just merely trying to suggest another resource for OP to check out. The Edea Suomo looks to be a figure roller skating boot, and is listed under their roller section, so I don't think it's a boot designed for anything but roller skating.

Anyways, best of luck to OP, and to sandraskates, I am terribly sorry!! I never meant to be rude in any way, and I'm just happy that we can all try to help everyone to the best of our ability here.
I know - all is good and hopefully there are some other roller skating resources out there. Reddit does have many forums but I suspect our forum was picked because of the expertise many can give on boots (and blades :) ). I too hope that the OP got something out of the few replies.

TQB

Rinkside
I would not buy a new brand of skates I couldn't return without being properly sized, period. It's too much money to potentially have something completely unusable.

What about trying to get in touch with any boot fitters that are currently unemployed because shops are closed? I know we only have 1 dude here in Maine; gotta believe there's more than one in CA ;). Maybe you can meet one-on-one for a measurement. If the store itself won't answer phone or emails, get creative - look on FB, linkedin, local forums. What are your derby pals doing during this time? Who do they know?

Unfortunately, there's no reliable "conversion table" between skate brands. Very knowledgeable folks on here with experience with different brands and general fit, and if you've read the forums you've seen the consistent refrain: no one can tell you what size to get. And, as noted, most are ice not roller, so advice about wear and comfort isn't going to perfectly translate, either.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Are there any figure boot fitters around you? The Skating Club of San Francisco is very reputable so there must be something good around. Some figure shops also fit roller boots as they aren't really fundamentally different.

Crystal Rainbows

Rinkside
Country
Canada

Just saw this thread tonight while perusing boot posts.

I do hope you decided on the Riedell. I skate artistic roller and figure skate. If you're working on jumps on quad skates the Moxi Lolly is really dangerous! You need a more supportive boot and a plate that is made specifically for freestyle to accommodate the force when you land the jumps. I looked at your local shop you mentioned - Bruised Boutique and the only plate there for freestyle is the Snyder, which is expensive. They seem to be derby oriented which needs a different set-up than artistic/freestyle.
There are other options like the Roll-line artistic freestyle plates, Golden Horse, or Sure-grip competitive plates - get a Riedell boot because you know it fits, and will last you. Better to make an investment now than wind up regretting it later.
Feel free to send me a private message if you want to talk shop!

lizlane

Spectator
Size wise, if you like the way Riedells fit, the safest choice would be to stick with the Riedell. You would want to try the Edea on to see how it fits before buying, because when I measured my foot, and had a fitter measure, we both measured for a 245. When I tried the boots on, the 245 felt too small. If I had to, I think I could have worn the 245's, but it was a super tight uncomfortable fit. I got a 250 standard width and it is perfect. I skate artistic roller, and ice skate. I have a size 8 foot for street shoes. I have an older pair of quads mounted on a Riedell 1310LS ice boot, 6B. The 1310 is a really tight (length wise) for me, but fits nicely. My daughter also is a size 8 in street shoes and wears a size 6B in Riedell. When she wore my Edeas, she said they were way too narrow and really hurt her feet. The Riedells appear to have a wider toe box than the Edeas. As far as arches go, both Edea and Riedell are fine on my feet, I have pretty standard arches. My opinion on Edea boots...I like them. I have Edea Flys for quads, and Ice Fly for Inline. The fit for roller vs ice is the same. I had been thinking of maybe changing my ice setup to the Ice Fly as well. I currently have an SP-Teri super deluxe and find the Edeas to be a lot lighter and more comfortable, however I am not close to an ice rink, and I don't get the opportunity to ice skate as much as I used to, so spending a bunch of $$ on new ice skates is not a big priority since my current ones are in excellent shape.

emcnes

Rinkside

This is a figure skating column, so we may not be able to help you too much with roller. However, if you haven’t been in Edea before then you probably shouldn’t get them if you aren’t able to get professionally sized. It’s surprisingly easy to get the wrong size for your foot and do damage.

BUT, with that being said, I’m the exact same foot size as you (width and everything) and I’ve been in 260 Edea choruses and ice flys for the past 3 years. I’m not sure how that converts to roller, but you could try that. If you’re really wanting Edea, then you should order a few different sizes and try them on at home and then return the ones which don’t fit.

seriously though, you should probably spring for the extra $100 and get the riedells. Best of luck.