Russian ladies Olympic team | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Russian ladies Olympic team

Dawn825

Medalist
For Worlds, though, yes, Usacheva has great prospects. Even if she doesn't make Beijing, it's likely she could be first sub that year for both that and the Worlds team - the second being especially beneficial since one of the Olympic team might choose not to skate at Worlds. And she can do great next season.
I imagine Eteri will have learned her lesson from 2018, and at least the Olympic gold medalist, if not others, will sit out the following Worlds. I hope that's the case, bec whoever's 4th at Nationals could possibly still get a medal.

lappo

Final Flight
I imagine Eteri will have learned her lesson from 2018, and at least the Olympic gold medalist, if not others, will sit out the following Worlds. I hope that's the case, bec whoever's 4th at Nationals could possibly still get a medal.
Even though we have seen many times in the past how taxing it is for the Olympic champion to go to the next world (emotionally and because their many obligations reduce their training time) If things go Eteri's way (that is, one of her skaters wins GPF and Euros) it will be difficult for Eteri not to try and have another grand slammer...it would be an amazing result for her (and the skater, of course!).

Dawn825

Medalist
Has anyone done that, recently or ever? Win GPF, Europeans/4CC, Olympics and Worlds, all in one year?

Fluture

Record Breaker
If things go Eteri's way (that is, one of her skaters wins GPF and Euros) it will be difficult for Eteri not to try and have another grand slammer...

Doesn‘t the Grand Slam include Junior titles, or is that another one? Because if so, only Trusova (not an Eteri skater anymore) and Valieva have the chance as they‘ve won both the JGPF and Junior Worlds. Well, at this point Valieva looks all set to do it but things can change in a year, so who knows.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Doesn‘t the Grand Slam include Junior titles, or is that another one? Because if so, only Trusova (not an Eteri skater anymore) and Valieva have the chance as they‘ve won both the JGPF and Junior Worlds. Well, at this point Valieva looks all set to do it but things can change in a year, so who knows.
Depends on how one settles that. The one that was operated with here sometimes, the one described at wiki, defines the "Grand Slam" as "winning all three major annual senior-level international competition within a single season" (OG not counted) and "Career Grand Slam" as "all three major annual senior-level international competitions at any point during the course of a career" (OG not counted). As for OG, it defines "golden grand-slam". So there is the talk only about senior level. For both senior and junior titles there is "Super Slam".

Though I have the same objection as I had before and it's the definition "sometimes used by figure skating analysts". I don't think figure skating analyst is a certified job and as everyone here is a sort of a figure skating analyst, everyone can freely define his own. At least till ISU defines the official one :)

lappo

Final Flight
They aren't official titles but I think they are intended as such by commentators and sports fan:
- golden slam: all major titles (GPF, 4CC/Euro, Worlds and Olympics) in a single season (only Yagudin has achieved that so far)
- career golden slam: all major titles aforementioned at least once throughout their career (several skaters achieved that)
- super career slam: all major junior titles (JGPF and JW) and aforementioned senior titles at least once in their career (only those skaters managed: Zagitova and Kim, Hanyu, Savchenko, Trankov, Scott/Moir; few others do not enter this category only because the JGP didn't exist when they competed)
So far the golden slam has eluded not only Eteri skaters but all ladies skaters; maybe 2022 will be the year! :hap10:

Tonight's the Night

On the Ice
Country
United-States
New category: Russian super slam: junior GPF, junior worlds, junior Russian nationals; senior GPF, senior euros, senior worlds, senior Russian nationals, Olympics. Who has done it?

(You could also ask about other nations. A generic category, then: national super slam.)

Skatesocs

Final Flight
New category: Russian super slam: junior GPF, junior worlds, junior Russian nationals; senior GPF, senior euros, senior worlds, senior Russian nationals, Olympics. Who has done it?

(You could also ask about other nations. A generic category, then: national super slam.)
+ Plushenko, if you account for him not having a JGP circuit to skate at (did win JWC).

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker

In Ladies category in Russia, only Alina so far. Slutskaya and Zhenya are the closest one, they don't have Olympic title, but all the other ones. In the rest of the world, only YuNa has all those tittles.

Last edited:

Shayuki

Record Breaker
You realize they essentially were forced to send Alina? Who would they have sent otherwise? Zagitova just barely managed to hold onto the 3 spots. The situation wasn't like it's now.

The issue that year was Konstantinova in the first place but she of course needed to be sent everywhere as Konstantinova had token spots to every competition under the sun that season.

Tonight's the Night

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Also -- trying to get back on topic with the 2022 Olympics -- it's strange to think that this is something Anna could never have because, even though she has won Russian nationals thrice, she never won Russian junior nationals. (Not to mention not getting junior worlds or JGPF. And she'd still have to get Euros, GPF anyway.)

Looks like Kamila would be the only one on track....

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Wait, I was just checking on this too. Looks like Plushenko never won junior nationals in Russia, though, so he wouldn't have the career Russian super slam?

Doesn't look like he ever participated in it, going by his wikipedia. I guess he loses it on a technicality... But the page doesn't have results for 95-99 seasons. He was sent to junior worlds in 95-96, and 96-97, so might have.

Tonight's the Night

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Doesn't look like he ever participated in it, going by his wikipedia. I guess he loses it on a technicality... But the page doesn't have results for 95-99 seasons. He was sent to junior worlds in 95-96, and 96-97, so might have.

Weird. I just ducked "russian junior nationals figure skating 1997" and the same for 1996 and didn't come up with anything. (Ducked = searched on duck duck go.) I wonder what happened. If you follow the wikipedia links to fskate.ru there's no information there anymore. E.g., http://fskate.ru/results/tour/952.html

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Also -- trying to get back on topic with the 2022 Olympics -- it's strange to think that this is something Anna could never have because, even though she has won Russian nationals thrice, she never won Russian junior nationals. (Not to mention not getting junior worlds or JGPF. And she'd still have to get Euros, GPF anyway.)

Looks like Kamila would be the only one on track....
Well, Sasha Trusova has the same chance as Kamila (statistically)

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I do think, unfortunately, that it will be the first and last chance for all of Kromykh/Usacheva/Kostornaia/Shcherbakova. The Russian field is just way too deep, and they already have Akatieva/Petrosyan in the making, and maybe Zhilina/Samodelkina. The only one who can really do it for 2026 is Trusova, IMO - and even then it must be taken into account all the quads she keeps doing, which might tax her physical health by that time.
I don't necessarily agree. Alina and Evgenia have struggled because the technical bar has moved upwards, but Sasha, Anna, and Alena (assuming she gets the 3A back) have set that higher bar and will be competitive as long as they keep those difficult jumps. I don't think all of those three will make the 2022 team, and I don't think there are any locks for the team merely because any of them can lose a few difficult jumps and find themselves in Alena's current position of not being able to keep up with the others. I think Kamila is the likeliest to earn a spot, mostly because she has age on her side, and Anna is a lock as long as she can do jumps beyond the 3Lz since the Russian Fed seems to be fully behind her. Sasha is probably most reliant on quads to earn her spot, and she probably needs to be more solid with those next year than she was this season to get on the Olympic team.

Tonight's the Night

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Well, Sasha Trusova has the same chance as Kamila (statistically)

Oh yeah, whoops, I forgot about Alexandra Vyacheslavovna. It will never happen again. And of course, as many of us sense, she could be the Russian lady from the 2022 Olympics who can also go to the 2026 Olympics.

lappo

Final Flight
In good company with Oksana Grishuk and Anton Sikharulidze who didn't manage to compete in Junior Russian championship because they didn't exist at that time.