- | Golden Skate

-

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi! Some background information about me:
15yo female, around 60-65kg and 165-170 cm. I started skating at 4 , went synchro at 6 ish (international competitions included), quit at 12 and went into "basic" singles skating 6 months ago (we do jumps, spins, and steps) . I don't plan on competing. Jumps and spins are mostly new for me, I could only do a forward scratch spin and a crappy salchow before picking skating up again. My edges and steps are good on the other hand.

I'm currently in Edea Overtures with Edea rotation blades. This is my 2nd pair of these, when I did synchro I skated in these as well. When I was little Risports and Jacksons didn't fit me well, so I took Edea's again. In these 6 months I've started on all my singles and can land a salchow, flip and lutz. I was injured (still recovering, but it's been going really well) so loops and toeloops have been a struggle. I've also been doing sitspins and laybacks, and working on camel spins and backspins.
I've been thinking of upgrading my blades because I think these stoc blades are keeping me from getting beter, it feels as if my current set is holding me back. I was thinking of Coronation Ace's. I've also been considering also getting new boots, the Overture doesn't feel stiff enough for me. Maybe it's the wrong fit for me though, but I can't get fitteed right now because all non-essential shops are closed, including skating shops except for sharpening. So if i were to go with Edea's I was considering Concerto's and Ice Fly's to last me a while and to eventually do doubles with. Because I'm not the lightest I think Choruses might be not enough for me as they're not thaat different from Overtures, and next to that I don't want to buy 2 pairs in the coming years because its expensive. I've also heard that you cant really overboot Edea's and many girls at my rink have Ice Fly's although only doing singles (some do doubles). Would a Ice Fly and CoroAce set be too advanced for me, or is it just right for my weight and needs? And what other skates should I consider? I don't really know anything about my feet so I can't tell if Edea's are simply not a good fit or if i really need more support. But as mentioned before I can't get fitted for at least the coming few months.
I was planning to get new blades/boots for my birthday which is in 6 months.

I will appreciate any help or advice, so thank you in advance for anyone that replies!
What kind of feet do you have? Are they wider in front and narrow in back, or opposite? OR are they all one width? What are your arches like? That is how we can sort of give you advice of what brands may be best for you at this point. But you really do need a professional fitting by someone that does figure skates and can trace your foot and measure it properly for boots.

My professional and personal opinion is there is no way that you need ice fly it's too much boot for you and people get them without needing them because they are popular and "the cool thing" which is stupid. That is why so many at the rink have them when they really don't need them.

Coronation Ace would be a good blade for you at this point in your skating, but if Edea is indeed the boot for you (after fitting and considering what your foot needs), then a Concerto may be the way to go. You are only doing singles and possibly doubles soon and don't need a stiff boot. Once you let us know about your foot, I could make suggestions for boots/brands.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I'd also recommend Concerto if you really can't get to a fitter. No way do you need Ice Fly and - frankly - a pro will look at an Ice Fly/CA/MKPro combination and roll their eyes. Don't be tempted. Seriously.

Blade wise, Coronation Ace all the way! After Edea Rotation you will LOVE them. They're honestly a fabulous blade and you will find that your skating is so much freer and easier. I tried a friend's Overtures with Rotation blades and just stepped right back off the ice. Nasty, nasty, nasty things. If you've kept up with competitive syncho on those, you will just adore the glide you get with the Aces.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I read a little about Risports and how they can be a little similar to Edea's, but overall more customizable bc they can get heatmolded. I thought the royal pro or elite would suit me, if of course my feet like Risports. Are the royal pro and elite somewhat on my skill level?
Risport are NOTHING like Edea. Also, you are nowhere near the level of Royal Pro and Elite, those are for triples and quads. Electra is your level.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I read a little about Risports and how they can be a little similar to Edea's, but overall more customizable bc they can get heatmolded. I thought the royal pro or elite would suit me, if of course my feet like Risports. Are the royal pro and elite somewhat on my skill level?
I'd actually recommend the Electra. Much better choice for you. I've seen what happens to people in Risport over their level. They feel they're fine but in reality most of them lose the ability to manage a decent sit spin, teapot/shoot the duck position and even their spirals suffer. From a coaching point of view, it makes me want to cry as I feel they've wasted their money and hindered their progress.