NBC.... Why only ladies not men? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

NBC.... Why only ladies not men?

rollerblade

Record Breaker
^ I feel like we just had this circular discussion several posts ago, but maybe your scroll wheel/key/finger is broken. :p

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You guys are acting like they aren't showing the other discipline at all. They are still showing it, just on a different channel.

TV viewership is down as a whole, because most people rather watch things online or on demand. I don't even remember the last time I turned on the TV on a Saturday evening. Actually, the last time I turned on the TV was on Feb 7th. 😈
I turn mine on daily. I stream everything to it.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sadly, I think this simply reflects the lack of interest in figure skating in the US. The less that smaller events like the GP series are aired, the less exposure fans get to the top names in the sport.
But they do air the GP series...

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My point wasn't that skating was only popular after Tonya Nancy, I know darned well it wasn't, they just increased it more. I am saying that it went down greatly after that.
It did go down greatly after that. I wonder if NBC is less able to create a compelling narrative (compelling to the average viewer) - Battle of the Carmens - America vs the Communists! Battle of the Brians! I bet Brian Boitano remains one of those best known male American skaters. Thanks in no small part to South Park and cooking shows.

Amei

Record Breaker
This sounds crazy to me since Nathan Chen is American??
How could they not broadcast the one disciplin where they have a shot at gold and a secure podium finisher? While broadcasting ladies where they have no serious contenders?

I can't see the details on the description for the regular NBC channel's coverage but I'd be willing to bet that they show Nathan's performance and probably the podium for the men

But they do air the GP series...

NBC's TV coverage of the GP event is comically sad:
- if you don't follow figure skating most of the events you would have no idea that there is a pairs discipline
- they are weird in who they show, like GP France a couple of years ago when Shoma Uno had a disastrous FS and didn't podium, they still showed his performance but didn't show Chock and Bates who are an American team and placed silver.

Last edited:

Maribelle

On the Ice
Country
United-States
If you get NBCSN you can see a lot of coverage. However, I am not will to pay $65 a month to get that channel. I signed up for Peacock, which is not ideal, no commentary. To be a figure skating fan in the US is tough these days!

lopesgw

Rinkside
I agree it makes no sense not to show your medal prospects but were these comments necessary? American ladies are clearly your favourite but you're generalising a whole lot of ladies skaters there.
Actually, I enjoy Elizabeta T, Rika K and the other Japanese women... skaters who are mature, expressive... It’s why I prefer Jason Brown over Nathan Chen... or Papadakis and Cizeron... I understand that skating is a sport and that athleticism is needed, but my favorites are those who can present extremely demanding programs full of emotion and beauty...while making it look so easy...

lopesgw

Rinkside
I can't see the details on the description for the regular NBC channel's coverage but I'd be willing to bet that they show Nathan's performance and probably the podium for the men

- if you don't follow figure skating most of the events you would have no idea that there is a pairs discipline
- they are weird in who they show, like GP France a couple of years ago when Shoma Uno had a disastrous FS and didn't podium, they still showed his performance but didn't show Chock and Bates who are an American team and placed silver.
Yes NBC is... like I said originally they fail to show amazing skaters (like any of our ice dancers or men) who might draw interest to the sport as a whole!

lopesgw

Rinkside
I disagree with this entire premise. And I don’t think better jumping necessarily means better skating.
Me too. Beautiful jumps can add a lot... but I prefer those who have intricate entries into them and complex exits, who time themselves to the music high points and even as they are preparing to jump or the skating between jumps offer us skating that is compelling and full of details that enrich the performance!

lopesgw

Rinkside
You stream things to your TV, which suggest (to me) you're using your TV as a very large monitor. It's not the same as watching a regular TV broadcast as it airs - which is basically the point of OP's complaint as I understood it.
Yes, just regular broadcasts, no pay to view or subscribe...

lopesgw

Rinkside
It's a business move but it's strange business. So the way you explain this is that they would rather show the Russian women on NBC then the American men. That can't be it can it?
Not just Russian women, women. During a 2-3 hour NBC show several groups of women are shown... a couple of top men and there’s maybe a report on ice dance or pairs....or maybe one performance shown... When we have the deepest roster of ice dancers in the world and Nathan Chen....

lopesgw

Rinkside

Great example!

lopesgw

Rinkside
I disagree with this entire premise. And I don’t think better jumping necessarily means better skating.
Beautiful jumps can add immeasurably to a routine, but what I like to see is compelling, artistic skating! I get that it’s a sport and athleticism is needed... but the best skaters to me are the ones who time to their music and emphasize it, have intricate difficult entries into jumps and moves after them, where you forget you’re watching a skater do specific moves to gain points and are swept away by the emotion and drama and sheer beauty that they make look so easy!

Scott512

Record Breaker
Not just Russian women, women. During a 2-3 hour NBC show several groups of women are shown... a couple of top men and there’s maybe a report on ice dance or pairs....or maybe one performance shown... When we have the deepest roster of ice dancers in the world and Nathan Chen....
Well then what kind of sense does that make when you have the top man in the sport at least as of the last world championship and a deep roster in ice dance that could win a gold medal at worlds and the Olympics?

lopesgw

Rinkside
Well then what kind of sense does that make when you have the top man in the sport at least as of the last world championship and a deep roster in ice dance that could win a gold medal at worlds and the Olympics?
It makes no sense:). That’s why I posted! Sometimes our ladies are up at the top ... sometimes they are not. But they always receive the most coverage even though we have stellar athletes in other categories!

Jhar55

Medalist
Most likely worlds will be shown on Olympic Channel next week
Bad part have listen to Tara & Johnny

Scott512

Record Breaker
Most likely worlds will be shown on Olympic Channel next week
Bad part have listen to Tara & Johnny
So you're the one who doesn't like them, the dynamic duo? ;) I trust you like Terry Gannon at least.