Programs that will be reused in the Olympic season? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Programs that will be reused in the Olympic season?

nguyhm

On the Ice
I'm hoping that Kolyada will keep his LP for next season. It's breathtaking and I would love to see him skate it to its (and his) full potential.
For Nathan Nemesis is my favorite of his short programs but it might not be a good idea since he did not have any good luck with it at the last Olympics - or may be it could be for redemption to skate it again..... I would like for him to keep this year's LP. Knowing Nathan I doubt that he will keep or bring back any of the old programs though.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Nathan should absolutely not bring Rocketman back. He didn't move well to that music or understand in the first place, and then totally disrespected the music with his annoying remixing attempt at the end. His choreo sequence there was a cartoonish attempt at hip-hop, those arms, that totally unthreatening expression while trying to act like a "baller", just no. His current LP is his best, keep that and do a new SP. Probably something Chinese themed to pander.

Karen Chen (the better Chen) should keep Butterfly Lovers, but I really wish she would just use the Lu Chen (it's a Chen Chen world out there) music cut with a few extra seconds added at the end, which flowed together perfectly and would even work perfectly still for the rules right now - 3 jump elements, then the level step sequence while the music is going fast, then a spin, then 2 more jumps, then choreo sequence (and plz, just steal the "blossoming into a Butterfly" concept Karen, it's too beautiful and perfect not to) and another spin, and then the last two jumps and final spin. For her SP, something more fiery.

Jason Brown, keep the SP if you will make it darker, could be great, but it shouldn't be this completely playful. For the LP, something new. Do not use Schindler's List again.

All of the Russian girls except Valieva's SP, something new.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Nathan should absolutely not bring Rocketman back. He didn't move well to that music or understand in the first place, and then totally disrespected the music with his annoying remixing attempt at the end. His choreo sequence there was a cartoonish attempt at hip-hop, those arms, that totally unthreatening expression while trying to act like a "baller", just no. His current LP is his best, keep that and do a new SP. Probably something Chinese themed to pander.

Karen Chen (the better Chen) should keep Butterfly Lovers, but I really wish she would just use the Lu Chen (it's a Chen Chen world out there) music cut with a few extra seconds added at the end, which flowed together perfectly and would even work perfectly still for the rules right now - 3 jump elements, then the level step sequence while the music is going fast, then a spin, then 2 more jumps, then choreo sequence (and plz, just steal the "blossoming into a Butterfly" concept Karen, it's too beautiful and perfect not to) and another spin, and then the last two jumps and final spin. For her SP, something more fiery.

Jason Brown, keep the SP if you will make it darker, could be great, but it shouldn't be this completely playful. For the LP, something new. Do not use Schindler's List again.

All of the Russian girls except Valieva's SP, something new.
Nathan moved perfectly fine to Rocketman and better than many would have done to it. I'm sure he understood it quite well to skate it and did no disrespect to anyone, it's from the damn soundtrack and another revamp album that was made with Elton's respect in mind, so go have an argument with Giles Martin, Sir Elton John and Bernie Taupin which I'm sure you'll lose. Also, don't go blaming Chen for the music cut that's on the music pro that mixed it (and quite well mind you) and the hip hop breakdown was Sam Chouinard and MF Dubreuil's idea and choreo so if you feel that you are so much better a choreographer than they then knock yourself out man. I think it was great, as do many others.

Last edited:

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
I'd like Jason Brown to bring back Riverdance, although I guess it's not likely given how long ago he skated it.

I want Aliona to keep the My Way/Yellow Moon music, I loved the build-up towards the end. But guessing that her coaching team would want to change it.

I am also hoping for M/G to keep La Esmerelda as it is an entertaining, energetic program!

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Nathan moved perfectly fine to Rocketman and better than many would have done to it. I'm sure he understood it quite well to skate it and did no disrespect to anyone, it's from the damn soundtrack and another revamp album that was made with Elton's respect in mind, so go have an argument with Giles Martin, Sir Elton John and Bernie Taupin, I'm sure you'll lose.

The soundtrack and individual song is not cut like that. It didn't make sense together. A superficial program and so was his movement. Daisuke Takahashi and Florent Amodio and others have shown much better ability to do a program like this. Nathan lacked both soul and a sense of effortless bravado, I already talked about part of his problems here - https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/threads/2020-21-u-s-mens-figure-skating.85887/page-6#post-2638204, but let's break it down even more. The program starts by using these lyrics:

When are you gonna come down?
When are you going to land?
I should have stayed on the farm
I should have listened to my old man

What does he do that creates any kind of story or relation with this? I don't see anything different than his normal schtick. Nothing that relates a sense of nostalgia or regret. He is too casual, his body too slack and not trying to convey any distinctive shape, his face not giving us much. The program then moves into sensitive lyrics like this:

So goodbye yellow brick road
Where the dogs of society howl
And I think it's gonna be a long, long time
'Til touchdown brings me 'round again to find
I'm not the man they think I am at home
Oh, no, no, no

This section has a strong sense of longing and hidden identity, what does Nathan do to convey such emotions and ideas? The vulnerability is sorely missing from him. When the music starts crescendoing with the "Rockkettttmaaaannn" stuff he doesn't hit those beats or show a significant increase of excitement or at least time his jumps even close to it. Look at how underutilized and contained his arms are, how he doesn't express very well outward. He is mainly concentrated on the elements, almost always in athletic stance, not in a more refined or artistic form.

Then of course comes the hip-hop section and, like, what else needs to be said. There are endless examples of better hip-hop movement out there in the world and, as previously mentioned, other ice skaters have shown a much better conveyance of it too.

don't go blaming Chen for the music cut, that's on [other people]

Nathan is the one who decided to skate to it, so yes he is part of the "blame". Skaters can decide what they want to skate to, unless they are forced otherwise by a coach, but he obviously wasn't. Actual artists have a strong hand in what they are putting out there. They have a deep need to express their emotions and ideas. Skaters can come up with the musical ideas they want for a program themself, if they are completely engaged in the process. The music editor is just needed for the technical capability of putting it together (if the skater can't also do that part themself or don't want to spend time on it). What does Nathan's program say? It very much lacks cohesion to me. He keeps doing this with his programs too, trying to throw in something drastically different at the end, to go wild and make it look like he has good range and like the program is more exciting than it really was.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I usually don't like multi-seasons of programs from skaters. But in these cases I make exceptions. In the case of Nathan's he hasn't done Rocketman as a competitive program since the 19-20 season (it wasn't his LP this season, so it wouldn't be a back to back repeat program).
I'd like to see bring her last years SP. It was brilliant and and she always skated it well.

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
On the Rocketman - I agree, not a very successful concoction. But then again, 99,9% of the programs that are based on a selection of music from composer/artist/band x are equally bad. It is the same as putting together three random songs or pieces of music, the artist is not a sufficient lowest common denominator. It might work marginally in a Michael Jackson or Elvis piece is the intention is to imitate those artists, but even in those cases, the lyrics usually do not make any sense put together. I loved the hiphop interlude in Nathan's FS for its energy and explosiveness, but it had absolutely nothing to do with anything else in the program. So just no.

On Shoma's SP, also a big no for these reasons (and it would be third season which is always a very bad idea): https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/t...-thoughts-and-observations.88088/post-2738318

Otherwise, I already expressed my opinions on hopes for repeat programs in the other recent thread on this topic: https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/t...like-to-see-again-at-the-olympic-games.87904/

E

Ameliaskates

Rinkside
Would love Kolyada to keep both programs and I think if Hanyu brought back Hope And Legacy for a final Olympic skate that would be pretty awesome. I think it's one of the only programs Hanyu hasn't reused! Not a fan at all of Kamila's bolero. At least hoping they change the costume.

Clairecz

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
As many people here I love Misha's White Crow and hope he'll keep it.
And also Guignard/Fabbri's FD deserves more attention and a full season!
I think next season we'll see much more reused programs than usual because skating to a program once or twice this season and abandoning it doesn't even make any sense economically...
In their IG live Nicole Della Monica/Matteo Guarise said they'll probably keep their SP.
(And I fully expect Matteo Rizzo getting two new programs and changing one of them just before Europeans or Olympics, he's done it twice already 😂)

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Reusing dance programs isn't generally done, but I expect to see a lot of carryovers from ice dance teams who got new free dances for this season but didn't get to use them hardly at all.

Imagine

Medalist
Now that Alena has reunited with Mother Goth-- I mean, Empress Eteri, it's time to bring back the masterpiece that was her 2019-2020 short program.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Lala should bring back their birdies.
FBS may bring back their weird FD because it's very very new.... and actually there was a huge improvement from Challenge.. but I hope they do not. It's a good vehicle to try out on a non-Olympic years but it doesn't (IMHO) have enough appeal to bring them up in the standings. Of course, both those teams are not in the run for medals at the games... however, depending how many teams will retire or skip out on worlds, they could, if they have good material, position themselves for the future (or in the case of FBS, if they were to retire after worlds, at least set it up for Canada's following year spots)

Holy Headband

On the Ice
I think basically every programme that's been seen more than twice in competition should be changed for the Olympics, but I know that's not gonna happen. I'll make an exception for Kolyada's FS as it's really very good and I don't think he'd be able to top it next season if he were to change it. I just hope Mishin doesn't water down the choreo and Kolyada can deliver his best performance at the Olympics (with an extra quad perhaps?) because I can totally see it becoming an Olympic Moment (TM) if he hits.

I love S/H's FS, but I realise that after three seasons they need to change it. I hope they can come up with something on the same level for their home Olympics.

Kihira and Hanyu both absolutely need new programmes; I have no idea where this nonsense about keeping them is coming from. Kihira's programmes this season are more Richaud than Kihira, especially the FS, and don't showcase the qualities that made her stand out when she first burst onto the scene. She needs something more distinctive. Hanyu has been skating the same FS to different accompaniments for several seasons now and really needs to elevate every facet of his game, including performance and choreo, if he wants to challenge Chen in Beijing, meaning that he needs to show up with something fresh and challenging.

I want Jin to go back to his "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" SP simply because it was his best programme IMO, and come up with a new FS that fits his style and personality.

I think Sakamoto absolutely needs new programmes, even though I agree her Matrix FS is great. She's had it for two seasons and has been consistently shafted by the judges, so it's clearly not going to get her the PCS she deserves. She needs to go back to the drawing board and show up with something new, unexpected and equally, if not more, bold next season. There's no sense in doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results, even if the thing you're doing is great.

Last edited: