New skates | Page 3 | Golden Skate

New skates

Skatingismylife

Rinkside
First of all, your questions are not stupid. You are learning, we are helping teach you, it happens with all skaters. :)

Yes, there is a difference with Risport Rf3 and Royal Pro, the Royal Pro is stiffer. RF3 stiffness is 60ish and Royal Pro is 65ish, they should run about 100 dollars give or take between the two. Living in UK you are closer to Italy where Risport is made so they will be "cheaper" for you compared to Jackson's made in Canada. As far as Jackson, the models I suggested earlier in this thread are the best for you. Now, do not decide on what brand until you are properly fit by a skating pro fitter, that is what decides what brand you get (based on your foot).
Thanks so much! If I do end up with Risport would the royal pro be oberbooting and would the low cut version of the debut be stiff enough? I really need another opinion on this because I'm not entirely sure my fitter knows what he's doing, because he tried to put me in edea overtures even though they didn't fit right and didn't give me enough support. It's probably because the shop mostly sells hockey gear and just happens to have figure skates.

Skatingismylife

Rinkside
Would the Risport rf3 pro or the royal pro give more ankle support? I've heard that the rf3 pro wraps the ankle more tightly but on the other hand the royal pro has a higher stiffness rating?

Skatingismylife

Rinkside
Turns out my first fitter let me try on Risports that were 2 sizes too small, so that might explain why my toes and forefeet were cramped. The second fitter I went to actually measured my feet and I'd be 240 in Risport size but when I first went to my local skate shop I tried on 230. They just asked for my street shoe size and went down a few numbers.
Thanks so much! If I do end up with Risport would the royal pro be oberbooting and would the low cut version of the debut be stiff enough? I really need another opinion on this because I'm not entirely sure my fitter knows what he's doing, because he tried to put me in edea overtures even though they didn't fit right and didn't give me enough support. It's probably because the shop mostly sells hockey gear and just happens to have figure skates.
This is me referring to the fitter I went to first, who is about a 1,5 hour drive from where I live. But the second fitter I went to is about 5 hours away and I only decided to go there because I was visiting family there, but he seemed to know what he was doing. He also mentioned that though my heel is narrower than my ball there is only a difference of about two cm in width. So I'm currently really confused and have no idea who I'm supposed to believe any more.

Ameliaskates

Rinkside
I hate to break it to you but your first fitter sounds clueless. The fact he didn't even properly measure your feet should have been a huge red flag and sent you out the door running. Good fitters in the UK are very hard to find (trust me, I know.) But Al's skate shop in blackpool are probably one of the very best. I believe someone already mentioned them in this thread. Even if you have to travel 8 hours, it's worth it. They take proper measurements and always are happy to let you try on every single boot they have in stock if that's what it takes. Many skaters in NI and Ireland fly over to get their skates fitted there. Since blackpool is so lovely you could even make a holiday out of the trip after restrictions ease up.

Skatingismylife

Rinkside
I hate to break it to you but your first fitter sounds clueless. The fact he didn't even properly measure your feet should have been a huge red flag and sent you out the door running. Good fitters in the UK are very hard to find (trust me, I know.) But Al's skate shop in blackpool are probably one of the very best. I believe someone already mentioned them in this thread. Even if you have to travel 8 hours, it's worth it. They take proper measurements and always are happy to let you try on every single boot they have in stock if that's what it takes. Many skaters in NI and Ireland fly over to get their skates fitted there. Since blackpool is so lovely you could even make a holiday out of the trip after restrictions ease up.
Thanks, I'll definitely keep that in mind. Blackpool's quite far away from where I live, but if that's what it takes to get the right skates I'm up for it!

Ameliaskates

Rinkside
I've also heard good things about Everglides in Gosport (the big shop, not the small one inside the local rink) if that's closer to you, although I can't personally vouch for them as I've never had to change from Al :)

Skatingismylife

Rinkside
I've also heard good things about Everglides in Gosport (the big shop, not the small one inside the local rink) if that's closer to you, although I can't personally vouch for them as I've never had to change from Al :)
I live in the north of England, near Scotland, so Al's skate shop is closer, but thank you anyway!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
No, I would not have suggested Royal Pro to you if it was over-booting. And no the Jackson Debut (even the low cut) is not stiff enough for you.
Would the Risport rf3 pro or the royal pro give more ankle support? I've heard that the rf3 pro wraps the ankle more tightly but on the other hand the royal pro has a higher stiffness rating?
You are really overthinking this lol! Relax. :) The stiffer boot which I suggested is better for you is the Royal Pro, and it will give you ankle support needed. RF3 would be fine for that too, but if you're getting a stiffer, higher rated boot like the Royal Pro, your ankles will have more support. Stiffness=support. DO NOT go higher than a Royal Pro right now though, because TOO stiff for your current needs and skill level is bad as well.
Turns out my first fitter let me try on Risports that were 2 sizes too small, so that might explain why my toes and forefeet were cramped. The second fitter I went to actually measured my feet and I'd be 240 in Risport size but when I first went to my local skate shop I tried on 230. They just asked for my street shoe size and went down a few numbers.

This is me referring to the fitter I went to first, who is about a 1,5 hour drive from where I live. But the second fitter I went to is about 5 hours away and I only decided to go there because I was visiting family there, but he seemed to know what he was doing. He also mentioned that though my heel is narrower than my ball there is only a difference of about two cm in width. So I'm currently really confused and have no idea who I'm supposed to believe any more.
Your fitters don't know what they are doing and are not the professional figure skate fitters we discuss many a times in this part of the forum. A hockey based shop=bad for skaters and clueless techs. Go to Al's like many here in the UK suggested and get a proper fitting, suggestions, and boots.

Best of luck to you! :cool:

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom

Good lord! Stay away from the first "fitter", definitely! Quite obviously not an actual fitter. I know that one of the more northern shops has a nasty habit of massively overbooting adults, many of whom have then had to travel to Al's to get sorted out. Do yourself a favour and give Al a call or message. I'm not afiliated with her in any way but she's provided me and many of my skaters with great service.

I'm (once again) with Ic3Rabbit on the recommendation of the Royal Pro and would actually recommend it over the RF3 Pro for another reason; it's lower. I love mine because they are a bit lower than normal and I'm primarily a dancer, but one who doesn't like doing Field Moves in dance boots because of the very low cut back. I believe the Royal Pros were designed primarily for younger skaters, which would explain why they're about an inch lower in height, but all round, not just at the back.

Skatingismylife

Rinkside
Hello again,
Todays question is on behalf of my sister. She's done ice dance for a few years but switched to figure skating a year ago and can now all land all basic jumps and is about to start working on het Axel. She's currently skating in Wifa champion deluxe but they have now broken down completely. Her foot shape is greek and she really likes the look of the risport royal pro but because she's just 13 and pretty lightweight I'm not sure if that might be overbooting so I thought I might as well ask here.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello again,
Todays question is on behalf of my sister. She's done ice dance for a few years but switched to figure skating a year ago and can now all land all basic jumps and is about to start working on het Axel. She's currently skating in Wifa champion deluxe but they have now broken down completely. Her foot shape is greek and she really likes the look of the risport royal pro but because she's just 13 and pretty lightweight I'm not sure if that might be overbooting so I thought I might as well ask here.
So she's moved from ice dance to singles/freestyle? Okay, well hearing her age and weight (kind of) she's going to be overbooted in Risport Royal Pro. RF3 would be better for her.

Skatingismylife

Rinkside
So she's moved from ice dance to singles/freestyle? Okay, well hearing her age and weight (kind of) she's going to be overbooted in Risport Royal Pro. RF3 would be better for her.
Yes, she switched when her partner moved away. Thank you for replying so soon!

Skatingismylife

Rinkside
Hi again! I just wanted to say that I ended up buying the Risport RF3 pro with coro ace blades from Al's skate shop and they've been amazing so far. I've had them for over a month and everything is so much easier now: steps, jumps and spins have all improved by a lot. Thank you again for all your help!

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Hi again! I just wanted to say that I ended up buying the Risport RF3 pro with coro ace blades from Al's skate shop and they've been amazing so far. I've had them for over a month and everything is so much easier now: steps, jumps and spins have all improved by a lot. Thank you again for all your help!
Fabulous news! So glad you got fitted properly and are happy with the result. We love hearing this.

Skatingismylife

Rinkside
Hi everyone!
I have a problem with my flip and lutz and was wondering if you might have some tips to fix the issue: I don't transfer my whole weight onto my left foot (I'm a lefty) and end up either jumping from both feet or just from my right foot. I'm not sure if it's a mental block or not but I just can't seem to do it. I've always had this problem but it's gotten progressively worse over time. I've already tried different entries and lots of off ice practice but so far nothing has helped. My coach thought i might be leaning too far forward and also "sitting down" instead of standing upright before doing the jump but after fixing those problems I still can't transfer my weight properly. What am I missing?

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi everyone!
I have a problem with my flip and lutz and was wondering if you might have some tips to fix the issue: I don't transfer my whole weight onto my left foot (I'm a lefty) and end up either jumping from both feet or just from my right foot. I'm not sure if it's a mental block or not but I just can't seem to do it. I've always had this problem but it's gotten progressively worse over time. I've already tried different entries and lots of off ice practice but so far nothing has helped. My coach thought i might be leaning too far forward and also "sitting down" instead of standing upright before doing the jump but after fixing those problems I still can't transfer my weight properly. What am I missing?
You should start a new thread, that way people will be more likely to see it and help you. :)

Also, let me say it sounds like your whole technique is causing your issue.