My blade feels wobbly | Golden Skate

My blade feels wobbly

Moonflower

Rinkside
Hi everyone. I'm after some advice if that's OK.

I upgraded to risport rf3s and coronation ace (preowned but barely worn) last year but only skated on them a couple of times before my country went into lockdown and our rinks were closed. My left blade didn't feel right but I put it down to getting used to them.

Since returning to the ice a couple of weeks ago I've realised there is something not quite right. My blade feels wobbly (screws are all securely attached, I've checked them), at times crunchy and at its worst unstable. It feels like it is pushing me onto an inside edge and I'm struggling to maintain an outside edge on that foot.

I've looked at the blade thoroughly and can't see any dents or nicks or anything.

I am taking them to my skate tech who is very experienced this week but wondered if I should be looking at having them sharpened first to iron out any surface issues, or if I should be looking more at remounting/realigning? Or if anyone else has had similar issues and how they were resolved? I am really happy with my skates, and the other foot is perfect, it is just the left one that is starting to hold me back as I don't have the confidence in that blade.

Thanks in advance!

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Is it rusty at all? Does it feel sharp on both edges?
Also can you photograph the blade mounts on both feet (at front and back) - this could help a lot with diagnosis. But getting them to skate tech is recommended to ensure.

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
I recommend calling your skate tech and seeing if they think you should get them sharpened before you come in. But in the meantime, don’t try and mess around with the skates because you don’t want to mess them up more. It’s best to leave it to the professionals.

Moonflower

Rinkside
Is it rusty at all? Does it feel sharp on both edges?
Also can you photograph the blade mounts on both feet (at front and back) - this could help a lot with diagnosis. But getting them to skate tech is recommended to ensure.
Not rusty and both edges are sharp. A very small amount of wear, I'm not sure if they are potentially still on their first grind. Photos is a great idea thank you - do you mean from the side or above the blade? (sorry I'm a bit confused!)

Moonflower

Rinkside
Thank you @Minz My skate tech will sharpen them too while I'm there if needed (he does sharpening, aligning, heat moulding, everything) but they feel pretty sharp.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Don't sharpen unless tech thinks so on visit. Get their opinion, but if I had to figure based on your explanation, I'm thinking possible mismount on that one blade. Definitely have your tech look. Good luck!:biggrin:

Moonflower

Rinkside
Don't sharpen unless tech thinks so on visit. Get their opinion, but if I had to figure based on your explanation, I'm thinking possible mismount on that one blade. Definitely have your tech look. Good luck!:biggrin:
Thank you! Yes will take his advice. I was just wondering if there was some sort of imbalance in the previous sharpening (so if maybe one edge was higher than the other? I'm not even sure if that's possible) that a fresh sharpening might fix, but I am leaning towards a mismount.

One thing I didn't mention is that ALL of the screw holes on the blade are used, I didn't think that was the usual thing to do but I'm not sure if that would have any relevance.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thank you! Yes will take his advice. I was just wondering if there was some sort of imbalance in the previous sharpening (so if maybe one edge was higher than the other? I'm not even sure if that's possible) that a fresh sharpening might fix, but I am leaning towards a mismount.

One thing I didn't mention is that ALL of the screw holes on the blade are used, I didn't think that was the usual thing to do but I'm not sure if that would have any relevance.
This makes me seriously question your tech. You shouldn't be skating on a perma-mount right away.

Moonflower

Rinkside
This makes me seriously question your tech. You shouldn't be skating on a perma-mount right away.
He didn't do it! I bought them very lightly pre owned and they were already mounted. I'm not sure if they are still on their first grind as the boots are so lightly used.

He hasn't touched them so far but is very good and very, very experienced. I'm in good hands now!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
He didn't do it! I bought them very lightly pre owned and they were already mounted. I'm not sure if they are still on their first grind as the boots are so lightly used.

He hasn't touched them so far but is very good and very, very experienced. I'm in good hands now!
Yes, but you should never buy skates that are perma-mounted, because they might not be able to be fixed to work for you if they are sealed etc. You will be stuck with this problem and skating on someone elses mount if that is the case. Don't buy premounted skates unless you know for certain they are not permanently mounted.

Moonflower

Rinkside
Yes, but you should never buy skates that are perma-mounted, because they might not be able to be fixed to work for you if they are sealed etc. You will be stuck with this problem and skating on someone elses mount if that is the case. Don't buy premounted skates unless you know for certain they are not permanently mounted.
Ah understood, I see what you mean. Lesson learned!

Elija

On the Ice
Thank you! I'm not sure I'm imagining it but I'm sure he'll have some technical way of knowing.
If they’re seriously uneven you’ll probably be able to tell just by looking at it. Hold at eye level and have a look at the hollow from the back of the blade.

1111bm

Final Flight
Hm, I had an uneven sharpening a year ago on one of my blades (outside edge was higher) but for me it felt different from the way you're describing your problems. I couldn't get "over" my outside edge as well as, or not entirely, as I used to. But no wobbliness or scrunchiness. ;)

So I don't think that's the issue with your blades, but maybe a different type of sharpening mistake (but most likely a mounting issue as has been said).

Moonflower

Rinkside
If they’re seriously uneven you’ll probably be able to tell just by looking at it. Hold at eye level and have a look at the hollow from the back of the blade.
Thank you. I have looked but can't see any noticeable difference.

Moonflower

Rinkside
Hm, I had an uneven sharpening a year ago on one of my blades (outside edge was higher) but for me it felt different from the way you're describing your problems. I couldn't get "over" my outside edge as well as, or not entirely, as I used to. But no wobbliness or scrunchiness. ;)

So I don't think that's the issue with your blades, but maybe a different type of sharpening mistake (but most likely a mounting issue as has been said).
Oh interesting, thank you! That's really helpful. It is the wobbly feeling that is the worst, I can cope with a bit of scrunching but it just feels so unstable I have no confidence in it.

Moonflower

Rinkside
All fixed! My wonderful tech knew what was wrong immediately, removed and realigned the blade. The outside edge was higher, pushing me onto the inside. He also resharpened both blades as the grind was too deep. I'm actually amazed I skated on them as well as I did!

Anyway I tested them today and they feel just wonderful now. A very happy skater!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
All fixed! My wonderful tech knew what was wrong immediately, removed and realigned the blade. The outside edge was higher, pushing me onto the inside. He also resharpened both blades as the grind was too deep. I'm actually amazed I skated on them as well as I did!

Anyway I tested them today and they feel just wonderful now. A very happy skater!
So I was right. ;)

Thanks for updating us! I'm glad it all worked out. :)

Last edited: