Figure Skating championship sites announced for 2024 | Golden Skate

Figure Skating championship sites announced for 2024

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Message from the ISU on the 3rd of June regarding championships in 2024.

ISU European Figure Skating Championships to be held in Budapest, Hungary on January 22-28, 2024

ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships to be held on February 6-11, 2024, TBC

ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships to be held on February 26-March 3, 2024, TBC

ISU World Figure Skating Championships to be held in Montreal, Canada on March 18-24, 2024

I am happy to see that Canada got the WC, as they had to cancel in 2020. Let's hope all goes well this time, and no new pandemic comes along!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Synchro events also are included in the provisional allotments in today's ISU announcement:

- ISU World Junior Synchronized Skating Championships to be held in Lyon, France on March 10-11, 2023

- ISU World Junior Synchronized Skating Championships to be held on March 8-9, 2024, TBC

- ISU World Synchronized Skating Championships to be held in Zagreb, Croatia on April 5-6, 2024

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Siiigh, so disappointed. Same old cities, over and over again. Yeah, that'll work, that'll expand skating's popularity worldwide. I wonder if I'll live to see the day when Prague gets it after 20+ freaking years of no big skating events. Why on earth was I hoping it would work this time :(((

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... I wonder who will get 4CC and Junior Worlds... I'd love to see smaller federations host both of those and bring skating to new countries.

So far, there has been only one bid for 2024 Junior Worlds.
It was from Minsk, Belarus.
(Minsk/Belarus also had been one of the six bidders for 2024 Euros.)

(I agree with Orchidea's general point in the earlier thread re bids. I am paraphrasing, but the idea is that in terms of international relations as of now, Belarus probably would not be seen as a good choice.
FWIW, Minsk/Belarus also had bid for three 2024 ISU speed skating championships. It was chosen for none, per today's announcement.)

So far, there has been only one bid for 2024 Four Continents. It was from Taiwan.

So far, there have been zero bids for 2024 Synchro Junior Worlds.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Siiigh, so disappointed. Same old cities, over and over again. Yeah, that'll work, that'll expand skating's popularity worldwide. I wonder if I'll live to see the day when Prague gets it after 20+ freaking years of no big skating events. Why on earth was I hoping it would work this time :(((
same old cities over and over again? do I need to remind you (and others) when was the last time Montreal held the Worlds championships?
1932. Yes. Almost 100 years ago.
Prague, though it hasn't hosted worlds since the mid 90s hosted them one other time in the 60s... So already twice as much as Montreal.
I agree some cities /countries get the events more often than others. However, to put Montreal in the "same old cities" category is just not appropriate.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
same old cities over and over again? do I need to remind you (and others) when was the last time Montreal held the Worlds championships?
1932. Yes. Almost 100 years ago.
Prague, though it hasn't hosted worlds since the mid 90s hosted them one other time in the 60s... So already twice as much as Montreal.
I agree some cities /countries get the events more often than others. However, to put Montreal in the "same old cities" category is just not appropriate.

I am not talking of WC only. I am talking of all kinds of bigger, international (as in, with global participation), senior competitions.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I am not talking of WC only. I am talking of all kinds of bigger, international (as in, with global participation), senior competitions.
Fair enough. This thread is about isu championships. Of course, if you want to discuss alternate grand prix selections etc maybe another thread would be more appropriate. On a side note, I visited Prague a long time ago, and it is one of my prefered cities in the world. So it would be wonderful for skating fans to discover it as well. ( talking about foreigners)

noskates

Record Breaker
Not sure you can blame the ISU. It costs a fortune to host one of these championships and you have to have: hotels in the area, public transportation, a practice rink nearby, a venue that can hold a certain number of people, transportation access AND the city has to want to host the competition. There are only so many cities in the world that meet all that criteria plus have the support of the local skating clubs.