Seeking wisdom on advanced blades | Golden Skate

Seeking wisdom on advanced blades

jcskates

Rinkside
Country
Canada
Hello everyone. I’m here to seek wisdom again.

I was planning to buy second hand blades for my old boots to use for outdoors or just use for fun and try to experience diff blades. And sadly second hand 9.5in seems to be a hard size to find in my pro shop. I was looking for coronation aces, mk pros, or advanced blades if they’re the right price. Today when I picked up my new boots, a matrix elite was available for a very reasonable price

I skated on Mark IV then to coronation ace lite. (I missed the 8ft rocker when I transitioned to aces but I grew to love these ace lites so much). Ace lites will probably still be my daily driver. Im working on 1ft spins, sit spins, refining basic skills, turns, salchow, toeloop. Beginner dances as well.

Do you think buying matrix elite is a good idea? Or if you have any experience in aces and matrix, go shoot it in the comments. Also if you can suggest more that would be welcome

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello everyone. I’m here to seek wisdom again.

I was planning to buy second hand blades for my old boots to use for outdoors or just use for fun and try to experience diff blades. And sadly second hand 9.5in seems to be a hard size to find in my pro shop. I was looking for coronation aces, mk pros, or advanced blades if they’re the right price. Today when I picked up my new boots, a matrix elite was available for a very reasonable price

I skated on Mark IV then to coronation ace lite. (I missed the 8ft rocker when I transitioned to aces but I grew to love these ace lites so much). Ace lites will probably still be my daily driver. Im working on 1ft spins, sit spins, refining basic skills, turns, salchow, toeloop. Beginner dances as well.

Do you think buying matrix elite is a good idea? Or if you have any experience in aces and matrix, go shoot it in the comments. Also if you can suggest more that would be welcome
If you are on a coronation ace blade now (even if it is a lite) and love them, stay away from matrix. The feel of them, the rocker and the jig needed to sharpen them is day and night from coronation ace. I skated about a whole season on them (Matrix Freestyle) and hated them by the end and went back to a more traditional blade.

Now that said, I'm not a fan of revolution or the CA lite blades, but it's better than matrix for someone used to more "traditional" blades.

I will also make you aware that your CA Lites are a 7ft rocker with crosscut picks. Matrix Elite is 8ft rocker with straight cut picks and is also too advanced for you right now. If you want to have a more advanced blade and stay 7ft rocker and crosscut picks look at the MK Gold Star.

Now if you are open to a bit of change but not too extreme, look at the new MK Dynasty blade. It's the happy medium between a freestyle and dance blade. Many synchro skaters use it, but it's been designed that you may be able to get away with using it as as individual freestyle as well as allowing you to dabble around in dance. Are you going to be doing dance as a second discipline or just learning a bit?

jcskates

Rinkside
Country
Canada
Duly noted. Thank you for the advice. I'll look into other second hand blades that are not matrix once they become available. Dynasty blades seem interesting, I'll check it out too.

To answer Ic3Rabbit's question. I'm focusing mostly in freestyle. I just wanna learn a bit of dance because it's interesting.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Duly noted. Thank you for the advice. I'll look into other second hand blades that are not matrix once they become available. Dynasty blades seem interesting, I'll check it out too.

To answer Ic3Rabbit's question. I'm focusing mostly in freestyle. I just wanna learn a bit of dance because it's interesting.
The dynasty blade may be perfect for you then. Just something to think about.