2020-21 Japanese Men, Pairs And Ice Dance | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Japanese Men, Pairs And Ice Dance

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Article and interview with Sumitada Moriguchi, who is studying business at Doshisha University.
He was inspired by watching Daisuke Takahashi at the Vancouver Olympics to take up skating ⛸️
He is training both singles and pairs, partnering with Ikura Kushida.

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
Yuma landed a clean quad loop in practice
0707c20e4882ef96882f85d859821991e71fe3cb.gifv

His first competition of the 2021-22 season (and possibly Shun and Kao's as well) will be one of the domestic trophies, such as the Kanto Summer Trophy, in August.

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
A sneak peek at + interview with Kana and Dai about their new RD (English subs can be activated in the control panel):

- they chose a Japanese theme for the Olympic season and combined two songs – “Soran Bushi”, a modern arrangement of a Japanese folk song (sung by fishermen), and “Koto”, an instrumental hip hop piece

- the choreography reflects the maritime theme (some parts are supposed to evoke images of waves and fish)

- Daisuke had a lot of input into the choreography – Kana thinks he should be credited ;)

- they identify the MlSt and the lift as the program's highlights

- the lift serves as a transition between the two musical pieces

- they hope to improve their skills drastically and surprise their fans

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am so impressed with Japan. they have a great shot at olympic team medal They are making a move in pairs and already could win men's and women's They have great interest in Dance with Dai. The state of women and men is that they are a power house. Even if Sakamoto is on a downhill they have so many great ladies. The top 3 men are world / olympic medal favorites or potential medal winners. The only challenge will be the olympics are in Beijing so can they build enough of a gap/lead in men's and women's over the Chinese and close the gap in say pairs where potentially they could beat the Canadians, Americans, and or Italians

Weathergal

Medalist
I am so impressed with Japan. they have a great shot at olympic team medal They are making a move in pairs and already could win men's and women's They have great interest in Dance with Dai. The state of women and men is that they are a power house. Even if Sakamoto is on a downhill they have so many great ladies. The top 3 men are world / olympic medal favorites or potential medal winners. The only challenge will be the olympics are in Beijing so can they build enough of a gap/lead in men's and women's over the Chinese and close the gap in say pairs where potentially they could beat the Canadians, Americans, and or Italians
If you've watched Kaori at Worlds or WTT, I don't think you'd say she's on a downhill...

figureskatingandrainbows

Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
Some very good news: the JSF will focus on vaccinating members of their highest class of athletes, meaning Yuzuru, Shoma, and Yuma will certainly be vaccinated, along with other high-priority judging officials and Rika, Satoko, and Kaori. Unfortunately, none of the pairs or ice dance are in this category, so they and the other skaters will have to wait their turn, but it's nice to know some of the skaters will be vaccinated in time for international competition.

mikeko666

Final Flight
Some very good news: the JSF will focus on vaccinating members of their highest class of athletes, meaning Yuzuru, Shoma, and Yuma will certainly be vaccinated, along with other high-priority judging officials and Rika, Satoko, and Kaori. Unfortunately, none of the pairs or ice dance are in this category, so they and the other skaters will have to wait their turn, but it's nice to know some of the skaters will be vaccinated in time for international competition.
This article does not say the the vaccination plan will exclude the pairs and ice dance teams but says that JSF is planning to vaccinate national trainees, training staff, international judges and those who are likely to interact with the skaters. The top pair and ice dance teams all train in North America, so they are more likely to be vaccinated there.

Also, JSF will not send their skaters to the first three JGP competitions due to the COVID-19 concern.

Last edited:

CarolPooh

Rinkside

This article does not say the the vaccination plan will exclude the pairs and ice dance teams but says that JSF is planning to vaccinate national trainees, training staff, international judges and those who are likely to interact with the skaters. The top pair and ice dance teams all train in North America, so they are more likely to be vaccinated there.

Also, JSF will not send their skaters to the first three JGP competitions due to the COVID-19 concern.

I think these 6 skaters are in "special strengthening class", while the article mentions about "strengthening class", which (I believe) includes many more skaters as well as the pair and ice dance teams.

List of "strengthening class" as of 2021 Apr

I am not a native Japanese speaker though, maybe someone else can clarify?

figureskatingandrainbows

Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
I think these 6 skaters are in "special strengthening class", while the article mentions about "strengthening class", which (I believe) includes many more skaters as well as the pair and ice dance teams.

List of "strengthening class" as of 2021 Apr

I am not a native Japanese speaker though, maybe someone else can clarify?
I read an article on Yahoo Sports JP which stated only those six, but it could have been wrong. I don't know. Hopefully the JSF will publish an official document with what's really going on.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker

I think it will be many more athletes.
For example, if you look at https://www.skatingjapan.or.jp/figure/player/ then most of the athletes are in some kind of "strengthening class".

I was going to ask whether anyone wanted a new version of this board for the Olympic season? But I can see that there are now separate topics up for JPN men and women skaters.
Regardless I think 21-22 will be really exciting for pairs and ice dance too! :popcorn:I might just post in the Japanese Ice dance teams topic more frequently - located in teams and coaches. :giggle: