What boots and blades should I get (first time)? | Golden Skate

What boots and blades should I get (first time)?

jvc

Spectator
Hi, this is the first time I'm posting on here so I hope I'm doing this right.

Context (honestly you don't really have to bother reading this idk): I'm 17, 5'2, 97lbs.
The city where I live doesn't have an ice rink but I've always loved to skate since I was little, so anytime I travelled I'd skate. I happened to travel to a city in my country (8 hours away by car 1-hour flight) which has an ice rink I always go to when I'm here. My mom randomly signed me up for group classes 2 hours a day and I loved it. However, that was only a week and I had to go back to my city, but I convinced my parents to send me back for one more week. After my unwanted week break, I've been taking 2 hours of group lessons and 2 hours of private lessons, today was my last day and I passed basic 4. I could wait a bit more, but I think the rentals are truly taking a toll on my feet. My ankle was swollen the whole week and my arch made skating backwards excruciatingly painful which sucks because it's halted my progress. Now, in my country, there is not a SINGLE place that sells ice skates. The good thing is that I'm moving to Colorado for college and will be continuing my training so I can get them there. My coach has Jacksons cause she has wide feet, but she recommended Edeas (singles/doubles) for me, and one with good ankle support so I don't die like this week.

I'm looking at the Overture/Chorus. However, I'm worried that the Chorus may be too advanced. Which is why I came here. But if they're fine I'll get the Chorus. Also, what blades should I get? I understand the difference between boots and what makes some more advanced but I have no idea with blades. If you need any more info ask away please! Thank you<3

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Context (honestly you don't really have to bother reading this idk): I'm 17, 5'2, 97lbs.
The city where I live doesn't have an ice rink but I've always loved to skate since I was little, so anytime I travelled I'd skate. I happened to travel to a city in my country (8 hours away by car 1-hour flight) which has an ice rink I always go to when I'm here. My mom randomly signed me up for group classes 2 hours a day and I loved it. However, that was only a week and I had to go back to my city, but I convinced my parents to send me back for one more week. After my unwanted week break, I've been taking 2 hours of group lessons and 2 hours of private lessons, today was my last day and I passed basic 4. I could wait a bit more, but I think the rentals are truly taking a toll on my feet. My ankle was swollen the whole week and my arch made skating backwards excruciatingly painful which sucks because it's halted my progress. Now, in my country, there is not a SINGLE place that sells ice skates. The good thing is that I'm moving to Colorado for college and will be continuing my training so I can get them there. My coach has Jacksons cause she has wide feet, but she recommended Edeas (singles/doubles) for me, and one with good ankle support so I don't die like this week.

I'm looking at the Overture/Chorus. However, I'm worried that the Chorus may be too advanced. Which is why I came here. But if they're fine I'll get the Chorus. Also, what blades should I get? I understand the difference between boots and what makes some more advanced but I have no idea with blades. If you need any more info ask away please! Thank you<3
Hi and welcome!

Your context was very important for us (me) to read, and I actually need more info to get you in a better boot that will be good for your foot.

What is your foot like (shape), toes, width (wide, narrow, or wider in toebox than heel area)? Do you have no, low, regular or high arches?

Answering those (along with a good visit to a reputable fitter in Colorado where they will measure and do tracings of each of your feet will help determine which boot brands would be best for you. (You may not even have feet that work with EDEA).

As far as blades, an intermediate blade (JW Coronation Ace or MK Professional) would be appropriate for your skill level up into doubles if you wish to progress that far.

Good luck! :)

jvc

Spectator
Thank you for your reply! I just measured my foot and the widest part seems to be 3.1-3.2 inches long, I'm a size 7 and according to a chart I found online that means I have narrow-medium feet. Normal arches. The second toe is only a slight bit smaller than the big toe.

After some research, I think the JW's will be my choice of blade.

Tavi...

Record Breaker

Hi there. If you’re moving to the Denver area, try Chelsea and Stephen at Edges & Dreams in Littleton. I just got new boots there and they did a great job. If you’re moving to the Colorado Springs area, try Bruce at Living on the Edge at the Broadmoor World Arena.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi there. If you’re moving to the Denver area, try Chelsea and Stephen at Edges & Dreams in Littleton. I just got new boots there and they did a great job. If you’re moving to the Colorado Springs area, try Bruce at Living on the Edge at the Broadmoor World Arena.
Those were going to be my suggestions as well.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thank you for your reply! I just measured my foot and the widest part seems to be 3.1-3.2 inches long, I'm a size 7 and according to a chart I found online that means I have narrow-medium feet. Normal arches. The second toe is only a slight bit smaller than the big toe.

After some research, I think the JW's will be my choice of blade.
I wouldn't follow a chart online because all boot brands are different. If your foot is narrow medium look at Riedell and Graf, you might be able to even do a Jackson boot.
Look at the Riedell Vega. Jackson Debut or Fusion even.

Be aware that the stiffness ratings aren't universal between boot brands: a Jackson 65 is not a Riedell 65.

Also, Coronation Ace standard is the way to go, don't waste your time or money on the rev blade.

Good luck and if you need anything else you can inbox me.

Last edited:

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Answering those (along with a good visit to a reputable fitter in Colorado where they will measure and do tracings of each of your feet will help determine which boot brands would be best for you. (You may not even have feet that work with EDEA).

As far as blades, an intermediate blade (JW Coronation Ace or MK Professional) would be appropriate for your skill level up into doubles if you wish to progress that far.

Good luck! :)
And even if your feet do work with Edea, you may not like the fit around the ankles. My feet felt fine in Edea but, oh boy, did I hate the looseness around the ankle!