Skate recommendation for new adult skater | Golden Skate

Skate recommendation for new adult skater

Icee

Spectator
Hello, I would appreciate any recommendations as I am looking for new skates. I am an adult about 140 lbs and am advanced beginner, starting to learn half rotation jumps. I am now wearing Riedell 110, which I had been told by the shop would last me as far as I would progress as an adult. But they do not fit well and I am now told I need to upgrade. I have wide feet with a longer second toe and low arches. There are no skate shops or fitters where I live and I am unable to travel now. A coach recommended ordering Edea Overture, Edea Chorus, Jackson Freestyle, or Risport Electra Light. Would anyone have suggestions on if any of these are likelier to work for me? Thank you!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello, I would appreciate any recommendations as I am looking for new skates. I am an adult about 140 lbs and am advanced beginner, starting to learn half rotation jumps. I am now wearing Riedell 110, which I had been told by the shop would last me as far as I would progress as an adult. But they do not fit well and I am now told I need to upgrade. I have wide feet with a longer second toe and low arches. There are no skate shops or fitters where I live and I am unable to travel now. A coach recommended ordering Edea Overture, Edea Chorus, Jackson Freestyle, or Risport Electra Light. Would anyone have suggestions on if any of these are likelier to work for me? Thank you!
Hello and welcome. If you have a wide foot, do not go to Edea, especially if you don't fit a Riedell well. With your foot I would suggest Jackson Premier Fusion. Risport Royal Pro. Those are the only two brands I would suggest for you. Disregard what the coach said because they are way off with the fact that you are an adult with wide feet and also taking your weight into factor. If you were a 85lb teen with more narrow feet, you would work with some of their suggestions. Get an MK Professional or John Wilson Coronation Ace blade to go w/your new boots.

Good luck and if you need any help just ask. You are welcome to DM me too. :cool:

FWIW: Here is a sizing guide for Jackson boots, as always it is suggested that you should not use this in the place of getting a professional fit. But if you cannot you cannot.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I'd agree with @Ic3Rabbit in her brand recommendations, although I'd hesitate to suggest Risport Royal Pro. Personally, I'd recommend the RF3 Pro as I think you'd struggle to get enough knee bend in the Royal Pros; they really are very stiff boots.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'd agree with @Ic3Rabbit in her brand recommendations, although I'd hesitate to suggest Risport Royal Pro. Personally, I'd recommend the RF3 Pro as I think you'd struggle to get enough knee bend in the Royal Pros; they really are very stiff boots.
RF3 Pro is not going to be stiff enough for OP and they'll get more use out of them. ;) Which is why I suggested RP.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
RF3 Pro is not going to be stiff enough for OP and they'll get more use out of them. ;) Which is why I suggested RP.
Interesting. Is that from an adult weight perspective? As the OP is working on half rotation jumps, I felt that the RPs would be a bit much but I'm always happy to be corrected - and learn! :)

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
There are no skate shops or fitters where I live and I am unable to travel now.
If you're really stuck, I'd recommend contacting the boot manufacturers for their instructions and templates for measuring and tracing your feet (I know Riedell and Jackson have them; not sure about others). With that info, their service reps can recommend the best fit. Have someone else do the measurements and tracings: if you do them on your own feet, you'll get skewed results.

marcopolobear

Rinkside
Country
Canada
It's been awhile,

But I think the Royal line fits a bit differently than the RF line? I have wide feet and big bony ankles and skated for awhile on RF3 Supers and they hurt my ankle bones a lot. I tried a pair of Royal Pro's on at a competiton vendor booth once though and they fit me very well, so they must have quite a bit better ankles pockets?

I would 2nd the no on Reidell's -- they are not for wide feet with good arches. Jacksons work very well for me, and I am thinking of trying Royals for my next skates (because I did like the Risport fit a lot otherwise).

M

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
@Icee I'm sorry that I forgot to link the Jackson sizing chart for length in my first post. It is a guideline only though.

Last edited:

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
It has to be said that the Royals are extremely comfortable for wide feet and bony ankles, my particular problem.

I was at the Cranberry Cup this past weekend and there was a Risport table! There wasn't anyone at it, so I didn't get a chance to chat or have them measure my feet, but they had sample boots from a good portion of their lineup - RF3, RF1, Royal Pro, Royal Prime, and Dance Prime.

Looking at the RF3 and the Royal Pro next to each other, the Royal Pro looked a bit wider to me. It seemed like was more generous padding inside the ankle of the Royal Pro as well. The RF3 comes up a bit higher, and it felt like the collar was a bit more padded than the Royal Pro - probably to help avoid shin and Achilles pain from the higher fit. Both are really nice boots though!

The Royal Pro is stiffer than the RF3 for sure, but not by a whole lot. I could feel it mostly in the tongue.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I was at the Cranberry Cup this past weekend and there was a Risport table! There wasn't anyone at it, so I didn't get a chance to chat or have them measure my feet, but they had sample boots from a good portion of their lineup - RF3, RF1, Royal Pro, Royal Prime, and Dance Prime.

Looking at the RF3 and the Royal Pro next to each other, the Royal Pro looked a bit wider to me. It seemed like was more generous padding inside the ankle of the Royal Pro as well. The RF3 comes up a bit higher, and it felt like the collar was a bit more padded than the Royal Pro - probably to help avoid shin and Achilles pain from the higher fit. Both are really nice boots though!

The Royal Pro is stiffer than the RF3 for sure, but not by a whole lot. I could feel it mostly in the tongue.
RF3 stiffness is 60, Royal Pro 65---both by Risport standards. I suggested the latter for the OP based on their needs.