2021 JGP France: Women's Short Program | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2021 JGP France: Women's Short Program

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Well, between the translation mistakes (wonder why Yeon-a became Yu-na) and the foreign languages, all names are pretty difficult to pronounce. Easier to write them. Even if ISU and media don't bother to write the "-" between the two parts of a name.

Edit: By all names i mean not only the Korean names.
연 can be transliterated as either Yeon (RR version) or Yun(so that it'll rhyme with sun) and the Queen chose to write her 연 as Yun, and 아 is the a. By sheer mistake at the airport (can't remember where) Yuna(Yun-a) became Yuna(Yu-na), the Queen was fine with it so she lives with it still but it still kinda irks me to this day. And lord I want the ISU to add a recording of the skater saying their name on the ISU profiles so bad (since you can't make everyone learn the IPA that's the closest I can get to internal peace)

Ah, i thought it was Yeon-a.
See above: Yeon and Yun are both transliterations of 연, aka the same sound

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
Okay I need to take a sanity break, but just two things about my girls here:

1) Ahsun's name is /asən/, the 'sun' is as in the big glowing orb in the sky
2) Seoyeon's surname is /dʒi/, it's an English J sound. Not /ji/, 'Yee'

I am kinda unhealthily obsessed with names and butchered names of our skaters is one of my greatest pet peeves
Thanks for this info! I can read Hangeul and speak a little Korean so I always get confused and frustrated by how English-speaking commentators pronounce their names. I'm often suspicious it isn't right and have to search for the names in Korean.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Thanks for this info! I can read Hangeul and speak a little Korean so I always get confused and frustrated by how English-speaking commentators pronounce their names. I'm often suspicious it isn't right and have to search for the names in Korean.
Back in the 2019-2020 season I used to send Ted recordings of my girls' names via email, now if only I had all the emails of the announcers at all competitions where Korean names were butchered

Mauvedreamer

Final Flight
Late to the show. Bit ill today. My favourites were Janna , Noelle, kaiya .who has really matured in her skating from last I saw her. I have always liked her. Congratulations to all the women for getting out and competing again. It was wonderful for them and us as fans. Good to have Ted's dulcet tones back !! 😂.

lutzlover

On the Ice
The Satoko vibes I get from Regina, I finally saw her performance, and I'm just wow-ed, absolutely gorgeous spins and impressive interpretation! My favorites today were her, Clare, Kaiya, Ahsun, and Noelle 💗
Same! Perhaps you’re aware of this, but Satoko skated to this song during her JGP season as well

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Lindsey Janna Noelle and Regina are my favorites… all just beautiful skates!!
Noelle has absolutely stolen my heart..
Lindsey just “wows” me.. has great lines, extension, spins, jumps, musicality… graceful expression

thorag

On the Ice
Country
Iceland
Who's her coach? And generally, how's Iceland with figure skating coaching? Do they have their own or they inviter coaches from abroad?
Darja Zajčenko is her coach. There are 3 rinks in the country. Full time domestic and foreign coaches from all over the world in Iceland. One skater currently training in Switzerland with Lambiel. rest train in Iceland like Júlía Rós

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Darja Zajčenko is her coach. There are 3 rinks in the country. Full time domestic and foreign coaches from all over the world in Iceland. One skater currently training in Switzerland with Lambiel. rest train in Iceland like Júlía Rós
Thank you (y)

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I didn't get to see all the performances, but I did watch the two Americans.

I thought both were fairly bland. Thorngren has some amazing positions, but they seem less impressive when delivered in a joyless performance.

It was like "I've got a job to do. OK, I've done it." It had all the charm of watching someone balance a checkbook. It was done well and I appreciate she did it well, but it wasn't compelling.

I'm sure that age and maturity level have a lot to do with it, and I look forward to her improvement.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I just finished watching the competition. Excellent judging panel. Hoping for a similar panel for the Senior Circuit 😏

Interesting to note that Lindsay basically outscored Clare in most elements. But, the step sequence is where Clare separated herself from Lindsay by more than a point. In my opinion, the step sequence is where the skaters with good skating skills shine. Wish this element was rewarded more. I thought Clare should have gotten a higher PCS score.

Without the Russians and Japanese, the Canadians and Americans really dominated the two categories. This competition really made me miss those two countries.

But, it was fun watching the competition play out. I’m in agreement with the standings. A battle between the two americans for gold and can the Canadian hold on to bronze or can one of the Koreans catch her? Ahsun was the competitor I thought could challenge the Russians the most for a spot in the Grand Prix finals. I’m going to really be rooting for her for the free skate.

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States

In 2009, Ana Cecilia Cantu qualified to the FS at World's with the above sp performance to Beetlejuice!
I was lucky enough to see this in person and besides the top skaters that were there (Yuna and Mao, etc.) it was this sp that I remember from the event! Nice to see her protégé here, I really liked Regina's posture and carriage.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Sorry for the double post but who are the Cantu sisters?

Sorry for not replying. I was asleep when you asked this.

And no need for you to apologise. It has been a while since they were competing, so not everybody will know them.

Doris has already answered your question perfectly. (I didn't realise they had gone into Synchro, so that was something I learned thanks to your quesstion).

I also posted videos of both sisters a few posts after the one you quoted (see this post). As the competition was still ongoing, I only had time to select one FS video for each of them. So, thank you to Doris for adding in an SP from Ana Cecilia. :bow:

To complete the set, here is Michele's second highest scoring SP (apologies for the very poor picture quality. It was uploaded 13 years ago!):

Michele Cantú - 2006 World Championships SP

Had to laugh at Simon Reed initially saying she was from Russia, and then quickly correcting himself. :laugh:

And now for a correction from me. According to her ISU Bio, Regina used to be coached by both Michele and Ana Cecilia, but now it is just Michele. But, I think it is safe to say that they both have both played a big part in getting Regina to where she is today.

Incidentally, for those who understand Spanish (I don't), here is a feature about the sisters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Hy7diM48P4

And here is an interview with Michele:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3SLCZ-OqLM

So, I hope that the things that Doris and I have posted have helped enlighten you to the sisters.

CaroLiza_fan