COC cancelled - Italy will host | Page 5 | Golden Skate

COC cancelled - Italy will host

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
again : events are happening in Canada. Both tennis tournaments happened this month in Montreal and Toronto. Right now, the worlds women hockey championship is happening in Calgary. I am thinking that a GP event is much easier to control with the limit of participants than a world hockey championships.... But it is really up to the province British Columbia to decide.. not the country as events have certainly happened in other provinces.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
again : events are happening in Canada. Both tennis tournaments happened this month in Montreal and Toronto. Right now, the worlds women hockey championship is happening in Calgary. I am thinking that a GP event is much easier to control with the limit of participants than a world hockey championships.... But it is really up to the province British Columbia to decide.. not the country as events have certainly happened in other provinces.
in figure skating, so far 2 international and one national events were canceled in Canada, all of them on a short notice.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
in figure skating, so far 2 international and one national events were canceled in Canada, all of them on a short notice.
yeah... but SCI and Nationals happened before the bubble principle and the athletes exceptions were created. The third event was JGP which still was an issue to commit to at the beginning of the summer, and as others have mentioned, JGP barely attracts $$$$.... with small crowds etc. So, in light of that, I believe that SCI will happen. When the first two events were canceled, there were no skating competitions at all allowed in the entire country... everything was online... recently, skaters have resumed live competitions... also a big difference. My point in any case is more along these lines : stop blaming Canada.. every province is allowed to host events, and those need to be planned properly and approved by respective provincial health. I am pretty sure that this is ongoing at this point with the BC government to host SCI. The fact that the JGP got canceled while SCI was so far, not canceled, makes me believe that Skate Canada and BC government are working together to make things happen... Otherwise, they could have canceled both events right away.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I was just about to post that I was watching Tennis from Montreal. Not a huge crowd but there were definitely fans there. Canadian Star Bianca Andreescu was playing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r32ivgrtmw

Country
Norway
Gee that means when Australians travel there, a large percentage won't be considered vaccinated. Awkward....

The AZ people should get onto that ASAP, because most UK people had that one too.

This is my biggest concern atm in respect to my personal plans to travel to SA, that I hope Canadian government resolves with US or we will have an option to add third vaccination for travel specifically, because I am Astra and Pfizer combo.

Just to mix everything up a little, in Norway for example we are mixing Pfizer + Moderna now as the first and second dose. And of course some countries aren´t approving this mix either as fully vaccinated, for example the UK :laugh:

I think I consider myself lucky to be waiting for my second Pfizer appointment in 3 weeks. At least that is what my appointment says.

madraykin

Rinkside
Is there actually a realistic chance that anyone will step in and take over the GP spot?

It seems like it'd be very tight on things like visas and getting accommodation sorted unless the ISU are able to get a location confirmed in the next week or so.

Country
Norway
Outside of Finland what are some other options for the GP event? Germany, Sweden, Italy came to mind. Any word on who else has put their name in the hat to host the event?
I think Sweden and Stockholm would be a good option. They had experience arranging WC during the pandemic. I havn´t been reading much about the travel restrictions lately, but I guess it would be easier for most skaters to enter Sweden. Not sure about Finlands travel restrictions though, but I have been wondering if they would cancel Finlandia Trophy this year as well.

If they choose Sweden, it´s very unlikely they would cancel. If they choose Finland, i´m afraid they would cancel.

I would love for Josefin Taljegård to get a spot, she made such a nice impression at Worlds. And I wouldn´t mind spots being given to Anita or Matilda either if China can´t send skaters. And a spot for Nikolaj Majorov.

It´s possible i´m biased. I will be fully vaccinated by then, so i´m dreaming a bit of Sweden hosting the event, and me going.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
BTW ACI, which is earlier than SCI is being held... it's in 3 weeks or so... i would think that we can remain hopeful about SCI... and that would be my last post about this... so you can return speculating about Sweden and Finland :)

Amei

Record Breaker
Is there actually a realistic chance that anyone will step in and take over the GP spot?

It seems like it'd be very tight on things like visas and getting accommodation sorted unless the ISU are able to get a location confirmed in the next week or so.

If you remember in 2011 Japan was scheduled to hold worlds but then the tsunami happened about 2 weeks before Worlds was set to begin and Japan couldn't host. Russia stepped up and hosted the event and it was held a month later than intended. Given that China relinquished their event on August 16th and Cup of China is not scheduled until November 5th, that's almost 3 months time for a new host country to prepare and this is only a Grand Prix event that is far less number of athletes than Worlds where Russia had a month to prepare, its really just a question of will someone want to spend the money on hosting the event and the ISU making sure its somewhere that won't be crazy restrictive on athletes from <insert name> countries

You know who is sadly really getting screwed on the GP series this year...The #1 ranked ladies skater, Shcherbakova - as of right now she wouldn't be able to go to her first event - IDF (GP France) due to prohibitive requirements of the local government, and her second event Cup of China is currently not happening.

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
If you remember in 2011 Japan was scheduled to hold worlds but then the tsunami happened about 2 weeks before Worlds was set to begin and Japan couldn't host. Russia stepped up and hosted the event and it was held a month later than intended. Given that China relinquished their event on August 16th and Cup of China is not scheduled until November 5th, that's almost 3 months time for a new host country to prepare and this is only a Grand Prix event that is far less number of athletes than Worlds where Russia had a month to prepare, its really just a question of will someone want to spend the money on hosting the event and the ISU making sure its somewhere that won't be crazy restrictive on athletes from <insert name> countries

You know who is sadly really getting screwed on the GP series this year...The #1 ranked ladies skater, Shcherbakova - as of right now she wouldn't be able to go to her first event - IDF (GP France) due to prohibitive requirements of the local government, and her second event Cup of China is currently not happening.
True, but there was no deadly virus that shutdown everything and slowed visa and other government procedures. But yeah, it could happen, and I hope it does, provided the event is safe. And you are right about Anna, she currently doesn't have GP's she can go to.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker