2021-22 Japanese Men's Figure Skating | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2021-22 Japanese Men's Figure Skating

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
New website, logo, and jackets! The JSF really went all-out for the Olympic year.
It's official: we won't have any skaters at the JGP. Japan also won't be sending any skaters to Lombardia Trophy/Autumn Classic International, but is still going to send skaters to later Challengers, specifically the Asian Open. I predict we'll see the international debut of Yuma and/or Yuzuru here since it is being held in the Olympic venue. It looks like the GP series is in no danger, and Japan will make sure to send their skaters to those events.

Last edited:

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Poor junior skaters. They've been sacrificed by JSF, and I doubt anyone knows why.
I'm torn on who to send to Challengers. The top ones need judge feedback ASAP because if there's a problem with the reception of their Olympic programs, they need to know now. OTOH, the rest of top 10 need points more than these three/four, to climb up (or even remain) in world rankings , and try to get in better groups for their future competitions/GP. Send everyone, JSF! :devil:

figureskatingandrainbows

Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
Poor junior skaters. They've been sacrificed by JSF, and I doubt anyone knows why.
The JSF clarified that it's to avoid the two-week quarantines in place in Japan. Junior skaters can't be vaccinated, and would have to quarantine once returning from the JGP. So they wouldn't be able to participate in more than one event easily. The good news with the senior skaters is that they should be fully vaccinated within a few weeks, meaning they'll probably be able to travel to Challengers/GP events without quarantining.

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
The JSF clarified that it's to avoid the two-week quarantines in place in Japan. Junior skaters can't be vaccinated, and would have to quarantine once returning from the JGP. So they wouldn't be able to participate in more than one event easily. The good news with the senior skaters is that they should be fully vaccinated within a few weeks, meaning they'll probably be able to travel to Challengers/GP events without quarantining.
Athletes are not exempt from re-entry quarantine even if they are fully vaccinated. Currently Japanese returnees holding vaccine passports are told to self-quarantine for 14 days upon arrival. https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html#section3
"all Japanese nationals and foreign nationals with the status of residence are also required to pledge to refrain from using public transportation for 14 days, and to be in quarantine at home or other designated areas for 14 days" regardless of vaccination status.

It's true that JSF said they took into consideration the quarantine requirement upon re-entry to Japan, among other things when they decided not to send their juniors to JGPS, but there are actually some junior skaters who were vaccinated. Actually it's the JOC support status rather than vaccination status that gives athletes special quarantine exemption. It has been reported that athletes supported by the JOC are exempt from the 14-day quarantine when they return to Japan, and also they are eligible to get vaccinated. According to the JOC, there are 26 (13 men + 13 women) figure skaters supported by the JOC: https://www.joc.or.jp/training/goldplan/assigned_player.html
38スケート (skating)フィギュアスケート (figure skating)131326
I'm assuming that the JSF special & A rank supported skaters are also supported by the JOC. If so, among juniors Kao, Lucas and Hana are the JOC supported skaters who are vaccinated and exempt from re-entry quarantine. However, rather than sending these 3 skaters to JGPS, JSF seemed to have decided not to send any juniors at all to JGPS.

The fact that Satoko enters SA (10/22-24) & Italy (11/04-07) and Rika enters SC (10/29-31) and NHK (11/12-14) indicates that the JOC supported athletes are exempt from quarantine.

figureskatingandrainbows

Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
The block entries are up!
Chu-Shikoku-Kyushu
Keiji Tanaka
Kanto
Yuma Kagiyama, Shun Sato
Tokyo
Koshiro Shimada, Shingo Nishiyama, Kao Miura (Jr.)
Chubu
Sota Yamamoto
Kinki
Mitsuki Sumoto, Sena Miyake, Lucas Tsuyoshi Honda, Yuto Kishina, Kazuki Tomono, Tatsuya Tsuboi (Jr.)

The block championships determine qualification for Eastern and Western Sectionals, which then determine who gets to go to Senior and Junior Nationals. Obviously, Shoma and Yuzu aren't listed as entries, since the top three skaters at Nationals usually are seeded and don't need to participate in the block championships. Yuma is likely participating for the competition practice, and I could see him WD from Kanto if he gets invited to the Japan Open, since they happen at the same time.

Last edited:

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Thank you for the info., figureskatingandrainbows.
I would like to add Tatsuya Tsuboi (Jr.) to Kinki. He trains in Kobe and goes to Kobe University. It must be a typo that he is listed under Tohoku-Hokkaido.

surimi

Record Breaker
Fingers crossed for Tatsuya. He's had some rotten luck with Nationals recently and deserves redemption.
Shingo is admirable, as is anyone who competes in two categories. I hope he can get back again to Canada from regionals.
Wow, Chuubu senior men is a really small field. o_o I think the other boy is Kimichika Wada, or do I misremember?
I don't envy the Kinki boys, it's a stacked field.

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
I think the other boy is Kimichika Wada, or do I misremember?
I don't envy the Kinki boys, it's a stacked field.
Yes, Kimichika Wada (和田龍京)of Chukyo University.
Kinki is a crowded field. There are 9 senior boys and 19 junior boys.

KiraraChin

Medalist
Kinki is a crowded field. There are 9 senior boys and 19 junior boys.
Interestingly, there was speculation that Kazuki Tomono would switch from Kinki to Tokyo regionals, as he is now affiliated to an institution headquartered in Tokyo (Central Sports). But it seems he chose to remain in Kinki after all, despite being a crowded field.

Question: IF (big if) Shoma decides to do regionals for practice, which one he would do? He's based in Nagoya so maybe Chubu, like Sota?

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Question: IF (big if) Shoma decides to do regionals for practice, which one he would do? He's based in Nagoya so maybe Chubu, like Sota?
I bet Shoma is a Chubu boy, because Toyota in Aichi is his major sponsor and looks like he is still a Chukyo University student.
But rather than entering Chubu regionals (9/24-26), he would want to compete at the Japan Open (Oct. 2-3). This year's JO is similar to last year in that only Japanese skaters will compete. There will be12 skaters: (3 senior men + 3 senior women) x 2 teams. No pro skaters this year.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Oh, I wanted to see Nobu at Japan Open again 🥺
I'd like to see Koshiro there as he doesn't have any grand prix events, but maybe the Tokyo championships on 7-10 October are too close.

KiraraChin

Medalist
I bet Shoma is a Chubu boy, because Toyota in Aichi is his major sponsor and looks like he is still a Chukyo University student.
But rather than entering Chubu regionals (9/24-26), he would want to compete at the Japan Open (Oct. 2-3). This year's JO is similar to last year in that only Japanese skaters will compete. There will be12 skaters: (3 senior men + 3 senior women) x 2 teams. No pro skaters this year.
That makes sense, thank you rRainbow! It'd be awesome to see both Shoma and Yuzu at JO 😍

surimi

Record Breaker
I don't think Yuzuru will want to participate as the Japanese SoE has been extended in most places (I think). He'll likely not want to draw audience. My bet would be on Shoma and Yuma, and four other boys, assuming Kao is staying in juniors and Yuzuru doesn't compete at JO. Then there are Shun, Keiji, Kazuki, Sena, Koshiro and Sota, and only four spots. o_o

Skatesocs

Final Flight
I don't think Yuzuru will want to participate as the Japanese SoE has been extended in most places (I think). He'll likely not want to draw audience. My bet would be on Shoma and Yuma, and four other boys, assuming Kao is staying in juniors and Yuzuru doesn't compete at JO. Then there are Shun, Keiji, Kazuki, Sena, Koshiro and Sota, and only four spots. o_o
I'd assume Kao's staying in juniors. Next season (2022-23), when Japan starts sending skaters to JGP again, he'll only be 17, so if he gains consistency and improves his skating quality further, I hope he can be JWC 2023. (correct me if he can't participate in juniors next season)

Personally would think Shun Sato should do that too, but am quite sure he'll be ineligible next season (even ignoring eligibility, I don't think an 18 year old from a big skating country should stay in juniors. Move on and let the others have it, there are many in line).

JO Roster predictions: Kagiyama, Uno, Sato, Tomono, Tanaka, Yamamoto. Would prefer someone other than Tanaka having a spot, though.

surimi

Record Breaker
I'd assume Kao's staying in juniors. Next season (2022-23), when Japan starts sending skaters to JGP again, he'll only be 17, so if he gains consistency and improves his skating quality further, I hope he can be JWC 2023. (correct me if he can't participate in juniors next season)

Personally would think Shun Sato should do that too, but am quite sure he'll be ineligible next season (even ignoring eligibility, I don't think an 18 year old from a big skating country should stay in juniors. Move on and let the others have it, there are many in line).

JO Roster predictions: Kagiyama, Uno, Sato, Tomono, Tanaka, Yamamoto. Would prefer someone other than Tanaka having a spot, though.

What do you mean Shun should do? Stay in juniors? But why would he do that if he is already in seniors and has two GPs?

Skatesocs

Final Flight
What do you mean Shun should do? Stay in juniors? But why would he do that if he is already in seniors and has two GPs?
Maybe I wasn't clear. Here:

1. I don't think Shun Sato's prospects this season in seniors are good.
2. Maybe this means he should have stayed in juniors this season.
3. But junior skaters are not being sent to the JGP anyway, so maybe it's the right move. He can still go to JWC this season since he's age-eligible (going to senior GPs and announcing yourself to be senior - both don't matter).
4. In another universe, even if Japan is sending skaters to the JGP this season, and even if he goes to JWC this season, I absolutely wouldn't want to see him doing juniors next season (2022-23) in that universe - since he would be 18, and I don't think an 18 year old from big skating countries should be seen in the junior circuit.

KiraraChin

Medalist
Just a reminder, I think JO overlaps with some of the regionals, such as Kinki. Last season Kazuki and some of the others couldn't do JO because of this.

Unless JSF gives them a bye so they can participate in JO (like they do with GPs), but this didn't happen last season so I wouldn't hold my breath this season.

About Shun, why do you guys think he won't do well, is there any info re: injury? He certainly has the BV to do well in seniors, I think.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
About Shun, why do you guys think he won't do well, is there any info re: injury? He certainly has the BV to do well in seniors, I think.
Last I watched him, BV was all he had. Strong junior skater no doubt, but he will get creamed in seniors unless he's made huge strides in presentation (and consistency). And quality of jumps, for that matter.

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Japanese top skaters want to go to the Asian Open (Oct. 13-16), the entry deadline of which is Sept. 10. I am guessing that JO organizers are waiting for the AO assignments to be determined. Shoma and Shun are assigned to SA (Oct. 22-24), so they are not likely to go to the AO, but it's possible for them to participate in the JO which is earlier. JO tickets have been sold since Sept. 9 without announcing the participants' names.
Considering the fact that Kinoshita group is the main organizer and sponsor of the JO, Koshiro Shimada is likely to be selected, as Kinoshita is his main sponsor and he also belongs to IMG management agency which helps organize the event. In fact, Koshiro was chosen for the JO in 2019 as one of the two male skaters along with Shoma.

Last edited: