COC cancelled - Italy will host | Page 8 | Golden Skate

COC cancelled - Italy will host

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
That's a weird decision. So if I understand correctly, there will be three Chinese ladies, and China will yet pick an obscure dance couple and pair team for the TBD spots in Italy? Really strange, and IMO disrepectful to the hosting country.

Amei

Record Breaker
That's a weird decision. So if I understand correctly, there will be three Chinese ladies, and China will yet pick an obscure dance couple and pair team for the TBD spots in Italy? Really strange, and IMO disrepectful to the hosting country.

The only way I'm okay with this decision is if China Fed is writing a big fat check to Italy Fed

Skatesocs

Final Flight
No, it will be three Chinese ladies, three Chinese men, and the host spots for the ID and Pairs have been reassigned (not for China).
The only way I'm okay with this decision is if China Fed is writing a big fat check to Italy Fed

You're overestimating the funding and attention given to CSA, lol.

ruga

Final Flight
Considering China's strict quarantine requirements, I wouldn't be surprised if lower profile skaters do not get sent or pull out of the event themselves, and Italians get assigned into their places.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Considering China's strict quarantine requirements, I wouldn't be surprised if lower profile skaters do not get sent or pull out of the event themselves, and Italians get assigned into their places.
I hope so. Though I am happy with Han Yan and Boyang Yin being there (who shouldn't need a host pick anyway), I wish the Italians to have some reward for picking up this competition. Especially in the women.

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
I just want to let ya'll know I was writing a post about how of course Italian skaters will not be at CoC. It wouldn't be fair because they also have Europeans to go to. Right before I was to publicly make an ass of myself, I somehow realize that I'm confusing CoC with 4CC.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
I hope so. Though I am happy with Han Yan and Boyang Yin being there (who shouldn't need a host pick anyway), I wish the Italians to have some reward for picking up this competition. Especially in the women.
I don't think the travel/quarantine requirements are going to be applied to athletes (if CSA actually sends them). Unless I'm not understanding, it doesn't say no host spots to the Italians. The unassigned TBA spots in ID and Pairs were reallocated - I expect Italy will announce those. Wang/Liu, Sui/Han, Peng/Jin are hardly host picks in their respective disciplines. That really only leaves Chen/Sun, whom I don't follow and can't say how they got assigned here.

I don't think Yudong Chen is an unfair pick. It would be an official senior debut, and he's potentially a better skater than every other Italian man who can be given that spot. The other two men have their own spots, not host picks, as mentioned.

For the women, I do get it. I wish the Italians had the opportunity here. China can easily WD two of them if they're being generous.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
so did they, they pulled Lara out of JGP as soon as they got the event
Well I'm not convinced this is over yet. And let's hope it's not. It would be absolutely horrendous if the Italian women don't get the chance here. They should have their three spots. And Frangipani should have a spot as well.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I wouldn't be surprised if they told Italy that they could have first dibs on any withdrawals (which, based on precedent, there will be some; I can't think of a Grand Prix where nobody ever withdrew).

Amei

Record Breaker
I don't think the travel/quarantine requirements are going to be applied to athletes (if CSA actually sends them). Unless I'm not understanding, it doesn't say no host spots to the Italians. The unassigned TBA spots in ID and Pairs were reallocated - I expect Italy will announce those. Wang/Liu, Sui/Han, Peng/Jin are hardly host picks in their respective disciplines. That really only leaves Chen/Sun, whom I don't follow and can't say how they got assigned here.

I don't think Yudong Chen is an unfair pick. It would be an official senior debut, and he's potentially a better skater than every other Italian man who can be given that spot. The other two men have their own spots, not host picks, as mentioned.

For the women, I do get it. I wish the Italians had the opportunity here. China can easily WD two of them if they're being generous.

The Italians shouldn't have to be counting on China being generous to WD picks; if they aren't getting financial compensation for their lack of host picks for a Grand Prix event then they have to be some of the worst negotiators.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
The Italians shouldn't have to be counting on China being generous to WD picks;
Where in my post did I disagree?

She is currently assigned to the last JGP in Austria. We'll see if that changes.

I just haven't been keeping up with the JGP. Yes, I suppose we don't really know "why" she was withdrawn from one of her GPs, if she's still in her second one. We'll see.

I wouldn't be surprised if they told Italy that they could have first dibs on any withdrawals (which, based on precedent, there will be some; I can't think of a Grand Prix where nobody ever withdrew).

Same.

Last edited:

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
Yan Han and Lin Shan are out of GP Italy.
Sad for Han Yan, who I really hope we'll get to see in at least one competition this season. Happy for the Italian skaters who will surely get the newly vacated spots, though!