CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Oh behalf of @CaroLiza_fan gooooo Marilena

Thank you, Moose! 😗

It worked!!! :cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points: :hb:

She won! Marilena won! Wow is this Cyprus's first gold medal?!

In the Challenger Series, yes. But internationally, no.

Stefania Yakovleva won the Advanced Novice competition at Skate Helena last season (in a field of 21).

And there have been wins in Singles at the lower levels too. But, I don't have the details to hand.

But, this is the first win above Novice level in Singles skating.

Angelina Kudriavtseva and Ilia Karankevich have won quite a few international Gold Medals in Ice Dance, mostly at Advanced Novice level, but also at Junior level. And after seeing their programmes for this season, I expect them to be adding to that tally very soon.

So you think they have the Cypriot national anthem on hand?

It's the same tune as the Greek anthem, so it probably is on the CD.

Disagree. I saw Marilena at a little club comp this summer, and at Cranberry. She rocked both of those too. I thought/hoped she’d also do well here.

Same here. Having seen her programmes already, I was expecting her to do well too. But, even I couldn't have dreamed that she would win overall. After she won the SP, I was too worried that the presure of being the overnight leader would get the better of her, like it did in Skate Milwaukee. But, thank goodness she overcame it this time!

Does she even have any GP assignments?

No. She would have been able to do JGP, and she probably should have.

I don't know this for sure - this is just my own thinking. But, when Emilea and Marilena made the switch to their ancestral homeland before the start of last season, I think the plan was for Marilena to do Juniors and for Emilea to do Seniors. But, with the Junior GP Series being cancelled, Marilena was instead put into the Senior level competitions along with Emilea. Which meant that she completely skipped Junior level, going from Novice level straight to Senior.

So for her to be here now winning a Challenger is all the more remarkable. :bow: :bow: :bow:

Maripena gets ice cream. Everyone else gets carrot soup for dinner

Can I have ice cream too to celebrate? 🍦

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Oh, I mean I finally watched her, and therefore I know she was nice lol. But thanks!

Sorry. I jumped in too quick. :slink:

(I assumed you were referring to the SP when you said she was nice).

But, on the plus side, because of my reacting to your post, I discovered that I had forgotten to link to the video in my report on the FS in the Team Cyprus Fan Fest. (I remembered to link to it in Marilena's OP, but somehow forgot to do it in the report).

So, thank you for prompting me to go back to the report and, hence, discovering my mistake.

:thank:

CaroLiza_fan

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Hmmm...this competition certainly push the limit for what is considered sour grapes and stingy. Young You was criminally underscored compared to other competitions.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
2 thumbs up to the English language commentor.
Added to the broadcast but didn‘t talk over the performances. And didn't just say crap just to fill time.

I am usually a no commentary at all person but in this case, I can make a rare exception.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
2 thumbs up to the English language commentor.
Added to the broadcast but didn‘t talk over the performances. And didn't just say crap just to fill time.

I am usually a no commentary at all person but in this case, I can make a rare exception.

Kevin Reynolds, the 2013 Four Continents Mens Champion. Not to mention champion of the wild hair. :rock:

Here is his second highest scoring Short Programme, from 2018 Nationals:

Kevin Reynolds - 2018 Canadian Championships SP

And here is his highest scoring Free Skate, from 2013 Nationals (with Japanese commentary!):

Kevin Reynolds - 2013 Canadian Championships FS

I wonder if he was reading the forum. Because in my SP report in the Team Cyprus Fan Fest, I apologised for the way he pronounced Marilena's surname, commenting that he mustn't be too familiar with Greek names. And then, come the FS, he did pronounce it correctly.

Nah, more likely one of her team took him to one side and had a wee word with him. :laugh: ;)

CaroLiza_fan

wakuwaku

On the Ice
Country
Latvia
Hmmm...this competition certainly push the limit for what is considered sour grapes and stingy.
Well, probably you could get now what Shcherbakova's fans felt when Amano stole her victory with undeserved UR calls in Euro 2020.
Young You was criminally underscored compared to other competitions.
Or maybe she was at last judged adequately first time in her senior career? She always got away with her very dodgy 3As after all. That, and you can't say it's only Amano's fault. She got pretty low PCS scores from majority of judges, didn't she? Everyone got them low. And indeed - I can't say I've seen any performance there I would want to rewatch. There weren't any performances - just jump/spins practice drills with some music in background. Even the most reputed skaters there - Young You, Karen Chen etc. - had horrendously empty, bland programs. If anything - it was Marilena who was robbed in PCS. She was the only skater who tried to show some decent choreo between jumps and not only in step sequence. Huge difference in scores Karen and You got at WC and 4CC respectively - and here - just shows how overscored they were before and what they really worth if we look at their elements with the same standarts juniors are judged, for example. Or, you can say, it shows how judging is uneven as a whole.
Anyway, considering that with lenient panel in the competition - Marilen would never got on a podium (because her ability to rotate jumps properly woudn't got deserved credit) - there is definitely something wrong with whole judging. Because randomly selected judging panel/pure luck is main factor whether you can have successful start of you career and decent season't best score - or you would retire after couple of ineffectual seasons trying to push your way through "reputed skaters". Without quads/3As it's nearly impossible to do for new skaters in that favorable to veterans judging environment we are so used now - no wonder so many are trying to learn them.

P,S.: the post above do not mean any disrespect to skaters mentioned there.