Skate upgrade for adult starting jumps | Golden Skate

Skate upgrade for adult starting jumps

pikomiko

Rinkside
Hi! I'm a small adult, 22y, 155cm, 47kg and I'm currently working on my waltz jump and 1 foot spins. I'm have been skating in Jackson Artistes for about a year and a half and haven't had any issues with them, except I feel like they're getting a little soft(?) I'm considering upgrading my skates in the near future and I would like some advice regarding this. Would I be overly ambitious to be considering an upgrade at my current level? If not, which skates should I consider? I pretty much only have access to an Edea supplier right now so I'm guessing either the Overture or the Chorus?

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Hi! I'm a small adult, 22y, 155cm, 47kg and I'm currently working on my waltz jump and 1 foot spins. I'm have been skating in Jackson Artistes for about a year and a half and haven't had any issues with them, except I feel like they're getting a little soft(?) I'm considering upgrading my skates in the near future and I would like some advice regarding this. Would I be overly ambitious to be considering an upgrade at my current level? If not, which skates should I consider? I pretty much only have access to an Edea supplier right now so I'm guessing either the Overture or the Chorus?

Hello!

I think you're ready for an upgrade - if you feel like the boots are getting soft, it probably means that they are. And if you're working on waltz and 1 foot spins now, you'll be working on single jumps and spins out of crossovers soon, which you could use more support for.

Do you have any way to get to a reputable fitter? The reason I ask is that Jacksons and Edeas have a pretty different shape to them, so after skating in Jacksons for so long, you might not like Edeas (I skate in Jacksons and when I tried on Edeas they were really uncomfortable). A fitter can help you determine not only what size to get, but what skate fits your natural foot shape best. Plus, a lot of skates can be customized in terms of fit - they can be heat-molded to fit your foot and ankle better, or punched out in spots where you need more room. A good fitter can take care of all of that for you!

As far as what skates to look at - I'm not very familiar with the Edea lineup, but if you were able to stick with Jacksons, I think either the Elle or the Freestyle would be right for you. They both have better blades than the Artiste, which is a plus. Personally, I'd lean toward the Freestyle, since it's stiffer than the Elle and should get you through some single jumps as well.

Hope this helps!

pikomiko

Rinkside
Hello!

I think you're ready for an upgrade - if you feel like the boots are getting soft, it probably means that they are. And if you're working on waltz and 1 foot spins now, you'll be working on single jumps and spins out of crossovers soon, which you could use more support for.

Do you have any way to get to a reputable fitter? The reason I ask is that Jacksons and Edeas have a pretty different shape to them, so after skating in Jacksons for so long, you might not like Edeas (I skate in Jacksons and when I tried on Edeas they were really uncomfortable). A fitter can help you determine not only what size to get, but what skate fits your natural foot shape best. Plus, a lot of skates can be customized in terms of fit - they can be heat-molded to fit your foot and ankle better, or punched out in spots where you need more room. A good fitter can take care of all of that for you!

As far as what skates to look at - I'm not very familiar with the Edea lineup, but if you were able to stick with Jacksons, I think either the Elle or the Freestyle would be right for you. They both have better blades than the Artiste, which is a plus. Personally, I'd lean toward the Freestyle, since it's stiffer than the Elle and should get you through some single jumps as well.

Hope this helps!
Thank you for the advice! I’ve just contacted some fitters in my area!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
If you are used to and still okay with wearing Jackson boots, look at the Debut Fusion. Pair with an intermediate blade: Either the MK Pro or John Wilson Coronation Ace.

Good luck! :)

pikomiko

Rinkside
If you are used to and still okay with wearing Jackson boots, look at the Debut Fusion. Pair with an intermediate blade: Either the MK Pro or John Wilson Coronation Ace.

Good luck! :)
I was actually looking at the debut fusion and coronation ace! I'm relieved that I have been looking up the right options! However, my Jackson skate fitter was not very helpful (did not measure my foot, just assessed my current skates and said they were 'perfect' even though my entire foot moves when I skate) so I'm still on the hunt for a reputable one right now.

I'm also considering edea overture or chorus and went for a skate fitting. My foot length was 225 according to the lady and she fitted me in a 230. My toes were a little bunched up/ folded over and I kind of lost feeling in my foot after walking around in them for 10 minutes. She said that this was normal and will feel much better after I break into them. I tried on the 235 as well and they fit much better, my toes had more wiggle room and I didnt feel like I needed to amputate my foot after.
So my question is, how is my foot supposed to feel in brand new edea skates? How much 'tightness' is considered normal?

tinna

Spectator
This is just my two cents as an adult in Edea. When I measure my foot with thin socks on I am about 230. So logically I should get a size 235, with Edea stating that 5mm is enough wiggle room for fully grown adults. However, I was however sized for 240 and that it is what I am happily and comfortably wearing for three years now. The key thing was that the fitter made me bend my knee and then measured. The position of my foot changes slightly and sort adds a few millimeters.

They did feel sort of uncomfortable in the beginning but my toes did not feel bunched up or folded over. They became very comfortable very soon. Make sure you are measuring your foot with proper knee bend, as it could make a difference. Good luck!

ps. I had Edea Overtures, I am about your size + a few kilos, and I broke them down in less than nine months whilst learning single jumps. The Choruses hold up a lot better.

pikomiko

Rinkside
This is just my two cents as an adult in Edea. When I measure my foot with thin socks on I am about 230. So logically I should get a size 235, with Edea stating that 5mm is enough wiggle room for fully grown adults. However, I was however sized for 240 and that it is what I am happily and comfortably wearing for three years now. The key thing was that the fitter made me bend my knee and then measured. The position of my foot changes slightly and sort adds a few millimeters.

They did feel sort of uncomfortable in the beginning but my toes did not feel bunched up or folded over. They became very comfortable very soon. Make sure you are measuring your foot with proper knee bend, as it could make a difference. Good luck!

ps. I had Edea Overtures, I am about your size + a few kilos, and I broke them down in less than nine months whilst learning single jumps. The Choruses hold up a lot better.
Thanks for your input! I might head down to my pro shop again to try them on again!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I was actually looking at the debut fusion and coronation ace! I'm relieved that I have been looking up the right options! However, my Jackson skate fitter was not very helpful (did not measure my foot, just assessed my current skates and said they were 'perfect' even though my entire foot moves when I skate) so I'm still on the hunt for a reputable one right now.

I'm also considering edea overture or chorus and went for a skate fitting. My foot length was 225 according to the lady and she fitted me in a 230. My toes were a little bunched up/ folded over and I kind of lost feeling in my foot after walking around in them for 10 minutes. She said that this was normal and will feel much better after I break into them. I tried on the 235 as well and they fit much better, my toes had more wiggle room and I didnt feel like I needed to amputate my foot after.
So my question is, how is my foot supposed to feel in brand new edea skates? How much 'tightness' is considered normal?
If you fit a Jackson and love it, do not go to Edea, it is obvious to me that it does not work for your foot. If you find a place with Risport, you may want to try the RF3 boot which would take you through doubles. And you can pair those with the Coro ace!

Good luck! If you need anything else, feel free to ask! :)

pikomiko

Rinkside
If you fit a Jackson and love it, do not go to Edea, it is obvious to me that it does not work for your foot. If you find a place with Risport, you may want to try the RF3 boot which would take you through doubles. And you can pair those with the Coro ace!

Good luck! If you need anything else, feel free to ask! :)
Thanks for the advice! I'm just trying on as many brands as I can to see which fits best! By any chance, do you have any opinions on Matrix Legacy blades?

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thanks for the advice! I'm just trying on as many brands as I can to see which fits best! By any chance, do you have any opinions on Matrix Legacy blades?
Understood and you are welcome! But I am telling you as a pro what is going to fit a foot like you are saying you have as well as what's available close to where you live. Many brands are not. Also, stay away from Matrix Legacy: They require a special jig to get sharpened and just not anyone can do it, if you are having a hard time finding boots and people that know about them where you live, they certainly aren't to be trusted with legacy blades.

pikomiko

Rinkside
Understood and you are welcome! But I am telling you as a pro what is going to fit a foot like you are saying you have as well as what's available close to where you live. Many brands are not. Also, stay away from Matrix Legacy: They require a special jig to get sharpened and just not anyone can do it, if you are having a hard time finding boots and people that know about them where you live, they certainly aren't to be trusted with legacy blades.
I had no idea! Def will be looking at other options to be safe. Thanks so much for your help, I truly appreciate it!

Hey @pikomiko I just upgraded my skates (to SP Teri's...I'm also working on my Waltz jumps and salchows, etc) and got the Coronation Ace blades. The new blades are pretty amazing! I'm excited for you to try them 🙂

that's great to hear! what blades did you have before? did you find it hard to get used to coro ace?
Hi - I had cheapo $100 skates and the blades that came with it - I learned to figure skate in south Korea so the brand of my skates / blades are something I don't even know, it's not apparent on my skates and they were pretty ratty. It wasn't hard to get used to the coronation ace blades - it was just strange to have such nice blades! I highly recommend them as a solid intermediate blade. Lots of other people here like the MK Pros too. You might want to ask your coach which one they would recommend you get...

pikomiko

Rinkside
Hey, not sure if anyone wants an update, but I managed to try on the Risport RF3 Pro and have to say they fit sooo comfortably! My only concern is that my pro shop only sells it in 1 width, C, but according to the Risport fitting chart I should be a B or even an AA. I'm trying to look for Risport dealers online that sell other widths, any advice?

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Hey, not sure if anyone wants an update, but I managed to try on the Risport RF3 Pro and have to say they fit sooo comfortably! My only concern is that my pro shop only sells it in 1 width, C, but according to the Risport fitting chart I should be a B or even an AA. I'm trying to look for Risport dealers online that sell other widths, any advice?

Is it possible for your pro shop to order them for you in different widths, so you can still get them fitted in person? I’m sure different shops have different policies, but my fitter had to order my boots since I needed a different width and she just had me put down a deposit on them, which she would have refunded if I had decided not to buy them. Maybe your fitter can do the same for you?

Also - not sure if you were looking at the white or black boots, but the black RF3 Pro doesn’t come in any other width than C, unfortunately.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Is it possible for your pro shop to order them for you in different widths, so you can still get them fitted in person? I’m sure different shops have different policies, but my fitter had to order my boots since I needed a different width and she just had me put down a deposit on them, which she would have refunded if I had decided not to buy them. Maybe your fitter can do the same for you?

Also - not sure if you were looking at the white or black boots, but the black RF3 Pro doesn’t come in any other width than C, unfortunately.

You can get ladies white Risport RF3 boots in C, B and AA widths which I'm pretty sure OP is going for. @pikomiko have your shop order them in the width you really need and please have them measure to be sure which width that is for sure before the special order. They should be able to do it. I'm really glad to hear that my suggestion worked out for you. :)

SusanaFG

Rinkside
I am in the same situacion that you. I have tried the Edea in 250C and it is ok however, after 20 min i fell pain in the heel and the left foot it falls asleep (I think I think I have a problem with my left foot, the same thing happens to me with all the boots). The risport in 250C is very wide, however the fitting chart looks wrong because the 245C is correct in wide and the measure is similar to 250C according to the table.
I order for the 250B because they cannot be returned.
Do you order the 250B? How do you feel about them? could you tell me the width of your foot?
(I have 12 days to return Edea).

pikomiko

Rinkside
I am in the same situacion that you. I have tried the Edea in 250C and it is ok however, after 20 min i fell pain in the heel and the left foot it falls asleep (I think I think I have a problem with my left foot, the same thing happens to me with all the boots). The risport in 250C is very wide, however the fitting chart looks wrong because the 245C is correct in wide and the measure is similar to 250C according to the table.
I order for the 250B because they cannot be returned.
Do you order the 250B? How do you feel about them? could you tell me the width of your foot?
(I have 12 days to return Edea).
Hi! i’m not sure if i can help you here, I was fitted into a 235C, and i have a wider toe box than average for my foot size, so the C width actually fits me quite nicely.

SusanaFG

Rinkside
Hi! i’m not sure if i can help you here, I was fitted into a 235C, and i have a wider toe box than average for my foot size, so the C width actually fits me quite nicely.
Ahhh ok, Could you tell me the width of your foot? I have 21,5 cm but the risport size chart indicates to 245C the width is 231cm, however it is correct for me, The problem is in length. I try to understand the table.
Thank you!!